Goblins Animated Kickstarter

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Goblins Animated Kickstarter

Post by Woolfe » October 26th, 2017, 6:49 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription

So I don't normally push video type kickstarters and this one seems a touch ambitious. But I would love to see this made, and well the people on board are freaking amazing.

So Goblins comic is a comic I have been reading for a long time. About a bunch of Goblins who decide not to be monsters and instead characters.
It was tongue in cheek a lot of the time, and is steeped in DnD mythology.

Matt King (GI:Joe Renegades, World of Warcraft) and Phil LaMarr (Samurai Jack, Futurama, Mad TV)
Appear to be the team behind the animation and production (aside from the original creator), and will also be voicing some of the characters.

And these are the other names they have involved in doing the voices.
Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Jim Cummings, Matthew Mercer, and Steve Blum.
These guys have a laundry list of animation between them, including Futurama, Samurai Jack, and a bunch of other stuff, including games.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Goblins Animated Kickstarter

Post by SagaDC » October 26th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Wow, that's certainly not something I would have expected.

I've been following the webcomic for a long while, and I do remember that the writer's last crowdfunding project ended up going pretty badly (through no real fault of his own). But, that aside, this new project does seem to have some pretty high-end talent connected to it.

I'm not sure if I'll end up backing the project, but it's certainly something that I'll be keeping an eye on.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 26th, 2017, 9:45 pm

They have an excellent cast; with one alumni from the voice cast of Fallout. Jim Cummings did Set, The Master, and Gizmo; he's perfect for a D&D/Goblin project. I wouldn't mind if they got a few more alumni; like Brad Garret, or Jeff Bennett.

*I honestly can't stand the art though. :(
I've not read (nor had heard of) the Goblins comic, so I don't know what the scripts are like; but it wouldn't surprise me if they are good.

**For some reason, 'Complains of Names' reminds me of Huey from Boondocks.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 27th, 2017, 8:58 am

The art is definitely very unique. Thunt, the creator, has a style that seems very exaggerated and cartoony but which can turn into nightmare fuel at the drop of a hat. He finds things like teeth and hands to be particularly creepy, so those feature heavily on a lot of his monster designs.

The thing I'm most curious about is how they're going to handle the more serious subject matter from the comics. While some parts of the series are light-hearted or even uplifting, a lot of it is just a nonstop avalanche of bloody fights and psychological trauma.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 27th, 2017, 10:57 am

Hopefully it's not planned as a PEGI~7 or ESRB~E10 project, and can be more like Boondocks, Afro-Samurai, or even the original TMNT comics, before the IP got ruined by the TV shows.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 27th, 2017, 10:07 pm

I like the art, the style is simplistic, and yet portrays the emotions etc well. He has definitely improved over time. Going back and rereading some of the older sections its surprising how dodgy some of it looks.

I can't see them doing it with a low age rating. I agree with Saga, he does nightmares very well, and they are often key to the story. The Kin, Minmax stuff is tragic, and would not work if they couldn't at least hint at the abuse Kin suffered.

If anyone wants a brief idea of how the comic is, read the "Tempts Fate" stories. Essentially it is about a Goblin called Tempts fate as he well... Tempts Fate. It was how Thunt used to earn enough money to keep the comic going (as well as giving to some charities). So gives a good sample of the humour and the change in his art style over time.
I am hoping that if the series gets off the ground, they give a nod or special appearance to Tempts.

http://goblinscomic.com/tempts-fate/tempts-fate-1

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » January 22nd, 2018, 3:55 am

Wow, I just checked in on the project, and apparently I missed quite a bit since October!

I guess the Kickstarter ended up failing, but it looks like Thunt got it successfully funded through IndieGogo afterwards. As of December, his campaign exceeded the $200k goal. :)

I also just saw that Thunt apparently suffered a brain aneurysm(!) at some point in December-January, which led to the discovery of some even more dangerous issues that required immediate brain surgery. It was apparently pretty touch-and-go for a while, but he's now in recovery.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 22nd, 2018, 7:00 pm

Yeah I had actually forgotten as well. LOL.

I literally read all that last night myself.

I need to go throw into the Indiegogo campaign.