What Game Is This...?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Drool
Forum Moderator

What Game Is This...?

Post by Drool » July 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm

With the success I had a few years ago getting help for a game based on vague memories, I thought a general thread for this sort of thing could be neat. I'm sure plenty of people have fuzzy memories of games from their childhood that they'd like help on.

I know I do. And boy is it a doozy:

It's a side-scrolling, reversible shoot-em-up (think Defender). It was on the C64. It was a pretty damn cheap game. The instructions were on a single sheet of paper, not even a full A11 sheet, but a smaller sheet. It contained such riveting plot elements as "you are the GOOD GUY" and "your mission is to kill the BAD GUYS". No, I'm not kidding. I vividly remember laughing that it was just good guy and bad guy, but in all caps.

As you flew back and forth, there were several different "zones" or cities. Maybe 6 or 8? There were different enemies in each zone, and each zone had different architecture and colors. I think there was a Defender-style mini-map on the bottom. You were probably trying to stop the enemies from blowing up parts of the city or something. There might have been a few node-things in each city that needed to be protected.

This probably would have been before 1990. I want to say it had some kind of weird, single word, nonsense name, but I'm really not sure on that one. It clearly wasn't a memorable name.

This has been driving me bonkers for the past week or so. I watched a 3 hour video showing 15 second clips from some 600+ games with no luck. I also dug through Moby Games, but my eyes started to cross.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: What Game Is This...?

Post by Gizmo » July 18th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Was it Stargate? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(video_game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4BW5GcRW44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkkiohCqQo
___

I have my own puzzler to try to learn the name of... It was a Space Harrier clone with a triangular map-tree. At the end of each level you chose left or right to travel to the next map; leading up to the final left/right choice to the last level of the game. Your left/right choices affected what your vehicle would change into; (aircraft, or car IRRC). On the last map your vehicle would transform into a biped, robotech style mecha, and fight to the end of the game. I think TAITO made it. You actually climbed into this game and adjusted the seat. A white and black machine, I think.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Nope, not Stargate, I'm afraid.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Novice

Post by PsychicMonk » July 19th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Drool wrote:
July 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm
there was a Defender-style mini-map on the bottom.
The only Defender-style C64 games with a mini-map on the bottom I can remember are:
1) dropzone
2) falcon patrol 1+2
3) nova blast

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 19th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Yeah, not those either. It might not have had a minimap. I mean, this was in the neighborhood of 30 years ago, so my memory's a little fuzzy.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Novice

Post by PsychicMonk » July 20th, 2017, 3:51 am

It was worth a try (I also forgot to add Repton to the list). There might be more games with a minimap that I haven't played. Have you tried the letter by letter search on the gamebase 64 website (gbc) ? There are several pages of games per letter and almost all games have screenshots. You can also search for a defender-like game you know and then click on the genre "Shoot'em Up - Defender" to get a list of all the defender clones in their database.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 20th, 2017, 9:21 pm

I tried going through Mobygames, but even just "shooter" is a good 300 titles or so.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm

Went through Game Base with no success. The closest looking game I could find was "Gener-Raider".

I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't cobbled together by whatever game shop my parents bought it from (probably Egghead).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Novice

Post by PsychicMonk » July 21st, 2017, 9:30 pm

Memories can be pretty fuzzy and deceiving. I had the same problem with a C64 game. In the end I only found it by luck via a scanned copy of the manual (also remembered some text). Without the manual I would have never found the game (it looked nothing like I remembered it).