What Game Is This...?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Drool
Forum Moderator

What Game Is This...?

Post by Drool » July 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm

With the success I had a few years ago getting help for a game based on vague memories, I thought a general thread for this sort of thing could be neat. I'm sure plenty of people have fuzzy memories of games from their childhood that they'd like help on.

I know I do. And boy is it a doozy:

It's a side-scrolling, reversible shoot-em-up (think Defender). It was on the C64. It was a pretty damn cheap game. The instructions were on a single sheet of paper, not even a full A11 sheet, but a smaller sheet. It contained such riveting plot elements as "you are the GOOD GUY" and "your mission is to kill the BAD GUYS". No, I'm not kidding. I vividly remember laughing that it was just good guy and bad guy, but in all caps.

As you flew back and forth, there were several different "zones" or cities. Maybe 6 or 8? There were different enemies in each zone, and each zone had different architecture and colors. I think there was a Defender-style mini-map on the bottom. You were probably trying to stop the enemies from blowing up parts of the city or something. There might have been a few node-things in each city that needed to be protected.

This probably would have been before 1990. I want to say it had some kind of weird, single word, nonsense name, but I'm really not sure on that one. It clearly wasn't a memorable name.

This has been driving me bonkers for the past week or so. I watched a 3 hour video showing 15 second clips from some 600+ games with no luck. I also dug through Moby Games, but my eyes started to cross.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: What Game Is This...?

Post by Gizmo » July 18th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Was it Stargate? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(video_game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4BW5GcRW44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkkiohCqQo
___

I have my own puzzler to try to learn the name of... It was a Space Harrier clone with a triangular map-tree. At the end of each level you chose left or right to travel to the next map; leading up to the final left/right choice to the last level of the game. Your left/right choices affected what your vehicle would change into; (aircraft, or car IRRC). On the last map your vehicle would transform into a biped, robotech style mecha, and fight to the end of the game. I think TAITO made it. You actually climbed into this game and adjusted the seat. A white and black machine, I think.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Nope, not Stargate, I'm afraid.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » July 19th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Drool wrote:
July 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm
there was a Defender-style mini-map on the bottom.
The only Defender-style C64 games with a mini-map on the bottom I can remember are:
1) dropzone
2) falcon patrol 1+2
3) nova blast

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 19th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Yeah, not those either. It might not have had a minimap. I mean, this was in the neighborhood of 30 years ago, so my memory's a little fuzzy.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » July 20th, 2017, 3:51 am

It was worth a try (I also forgot to add Repton to the list). There might be more games with a minimap that I haven't played. Have you tried the letter by letter search on the gamebase 64 website (gbc) ? There are several pages of games per letter and almost all games have screenshots. You can also search for a defender-like game you know and then click on the genre "Shoot'em Up - Defender" to get a list of all the defender clones in their database.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 20th, 2017, 9:21 pm

I tried going through Mobygames, but even just "shooter" is a good 300 titles or so.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm

Went through Game Base with no success. The closest looking game I could find was "Gener-Raider".

I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't cobbled together by whatever game shop my parents bought it from (probably Egghead).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » July 21st, 2017, 9:30 pm

Memories can be pretty fuzzy and deceiving. I had the same problem with a C64 game. In the end I only found it by luck via a scanned copy of the manual (also remembered some text). Without the manual I would have never found the game (it looked nothing like I remembered it).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 26th, 2018, 3:07 pm

So, still never figured that other game out. I'm 90% sure it's a home brew or small run indy game, possibly made by the dude at my local Egghead Software since I've found no reference to it anywhere.

Got another one for y'all.

Arcade game. Two player game where you're cops or hostage rescue or something. You didn't use handheld guns, but you used joystick and button. You were looking at a building, looking through windows. You could move from window to window and shoot in the rooms. You could shoot lamps and fishbowls and stuff, but you were looking for badguys to shoot, some of which had hostages, so you had to shoot around the hostage. I also remember some kind of balloon things you could shoot. Each building was a level, and you moved on after killing all the badguys. I think.

The two players were on opposite faces of the building, and you could shoot through the building, so if you weren't careful, you could shoot the other player.
Alwa nasci korliri das.