Kingmaker by Owlcat Games

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Kingmaker by Owlcat Games

Post by SagaDC » July 11th, 2017, 8:30 am

Just saw a video about this one. Apparently I almost completely overlooked it, because the campaign ends later today!

It's a pretty solid looking isometric RTwP retro-RPG inspired by titles like Baldur's Gate, but based on the Pathfinder tabletop license and with some extra kingdom management mechanics. It looks like it's largely being funded by Paizo, the publisher behind the Pathfinder license, but they ran the Kickstarter to help fund the extra kingdom management mechanics, along with an assortment of stretch goals such as new classes, new companions, and an interesting take on the camping/resting mechanic.

I've never heard of Owlcat Games before, but apparently it includes several of the designers who worked on Silent Storm and some of the Heroes of Might & Magic titles. They've also got Chris Avellone and Inon Zur working on it, which is a nice bonus.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ow ... escription

EDIT - They apparently just uploaded a two-hour livestream of the Alpha build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5IQVegc6M

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games

Post by Lord of Riva » July 11th, 2017, 9:44 am

Cant have enough of those, i wish the devteam all the luck they can get !

I will look forward to what they can achieve.

Also thanks again SagaDC for linking cool stuff :)

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 12th, 2017, 7:32 am

Not really excited for it tbh, no offense to Russians but the majority of video games coming out of Russia these days are low-budget shovelware, I'm not convinced this studio has the resources or skills neccessary to create a decent CRPG. And as for Avellone his involvement is usually more of a selling point and doesn't mean much these days. It might be cynical to say but I think this will at best end up as NWN2 OC 2.0.
Last edited by Crosmando on July 12th, 2017, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 12th, 2017, 8:41 am

Backed on the first day, glad to see these guys made it. :)

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 13th, 2017, 5:45 am

@Crosmando, I feel the same, particularly given how much they promise in the video for so little funding. But I will certainly keep my eyes peeled and review this after release.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 13th, 2017, 9:14 am

Remo wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 5:45 am
@Crosmando, I feel the same, particularly given how much they promise in the video for so little funding. But I will certainly keep my eyes peeled and review this after release.
From what I can tell, the funding for the core game was provided by Paizo. The crowdfunding campaign was only run to raise money for extra features like the kingdom management mechanics.