Page 47 of 52

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 pm
by Gizmo
Zombra wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm
So what are you playing this week?
Most likely a custom Grimrock 2 mod —in development. A third sequel no less. :lol:
A follow-up to this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/368
*The name is easy to guess. ;)

Possibly Stelaris, or PoE2, if I get a chance to install them; purchased, but neither one downloaded—yet.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm
by Drool
Gizmo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm
It's just too irritatingly different from The Witcher (1); just like with The Witcher 2. Both disappointed me for that reason.
Huh. Most people I know tell me I can skip 1.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm
by Gizmo
Drool wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm
Gizmo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm
It's just too irritatingly different from The Witcher (1); just like with The Witcher 2. Both disappointed me for that reason.
Huh. Most people I know tell me I can skip 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZcsNE6wCHI

Well I can tell you this... The original Geralt was more pragmatic, and didn't need to kneel in the dirt to quaff a potion; nor guess at random what potion he might need to quaff. Geralt in the first game, had a bandoleer of potion bottles; and he could use them at will, as the situations developed.

Also Geralt has studied multiple combat styles for use with different enemies. He could use different [significantly beneficial] tactics against a group of drunks, or drowners, than he would a 400 pound ghoul, armored knight, or other beast. Geralt could dodge in combat. Alchemy in the game was more complex, and included the ability to brew stronger potions when certain various alternate ingredients were available at the same time. The same potion could be brewed from different ingredients that had some of the same alchemical properties; but these properties could be deliberately selected to be in sync, by choosing one's ingredients carefully, and the brew would be stronger.

The Witcher sported three distinct camera systems, to accommodate different preference & play-styles.

Geralt said what the player selected for him; unlike the later games where he more or less spoke the gist... sometimes. All subtlety of language is lost after the first. I remember in Witcher 2, trying to find an alternate dialog solution to stopping a fight, and Geralt straight up tells the man he will kill him; and combat ensued. :evil:

Somehow they screwed up the dice game in the sequel; I don't know if they fixed (or even included) it in the third.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 24th, 2018, 5:40 pm
by Jozape
Gizmo wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm
Geralt said what the player selected for him; unlike the later games where he more or less spoke the gist... sometimes. All subtlety of language is lost after the first. I remember in Witcher 2, trying to find an alternate dialog solution to stopping a fight, and Geralt straight up tells the man he will kill him; and combat ensued. :evil:
The same problem affected the Deus Ex series too. Dialog lottery is lame. Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, and The Outer Worlds don't suffer from this affliction.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 24th, 2018, 6:06 pm
by sear
Dark Souls: Remastered. Yep. It's that time again.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: May 27th, 2018, 3:36 am
by Woolfe
Drool wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm
Gizmo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm
It's just too irritatingly different from The Witcher (1); just like with The Witcher 2. Both disappointed me for that reason.
Huh. Most people I know tell me I can skip 1.
I enjoyed 1. Tho I didn't finish it... can't remember why... I think I was annoyed at something....

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 24th, 2018, 1:14 am
by Grohal
Ni no Kuni II - Revenant Kingdom - first JRPG I enjoy in... more than 10 years I guess. Played it roughly 25 hours now and still have fun.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 25th, 2018, 5:11 pm
by Woolfe
I'm back on Stellaris with the Distant Stars DLC.... And in between I am still playing Battletech....

Itching for a shooter though...

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 25th, 2018, 5:15 pm
by Drool
Woolfe wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 5:11 pm
Itching for a shooter though...
If you haven't tried it, the Rise of the Triad remake is pretty fun. More fun if you played the original, but still...

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 25th, 2018, 7:43 pm
by Woolfe
Drool wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Woolfe wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 5:11 pm
Itching for a shooter though...
If you haven't tried it, the Rise of the Triad remake is pretty fun. More fun if you played the original, but still...
Yeah I never really played the original, I think I did once at UNI, but it just wasn't as good as Doom(2) or Duke Nukem....

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 26th, 2018, 2:50 pm
by Drool
Blasphemy.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 27th, 2018, 11:07 am
by paultakeda
I spent the weekend playing Ryse: Son of Rome in one sitting. It spent the time.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 30th, 2018, 4:36 pm
by Drool
I'm looking for a good open world rpg-kinda game. I just kinda wanna run around in a world doing stuff while ignoring plot. So, kinda like the Elder Scrolls games, but not necessarily fantasy. Lesser know/under appreciated would be great if anyone has any ideas.

Cheap is always a bonus.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: June 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm
by Zombra
Drool wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 4:36 pm
I'm looking for a good open world rpg-kinda game. I just kinda wanna run around in a world doing stuff while ignoring plot. So, kinda like the Elder Scrolls games, but not necessarily fantasy. Lesser know/under appreciated would be great if anyone has any ideas. Cheap is always a bonus.
I just discovered Kenshi this week. It's technically early access, but the current version number is 0.98.34. VERY close to release. Been in development about 8 years? It's discounted now and price will increase when v1.0 is published. It does not have a main plot or "quests". Instead, it has a fascinating world with dozens of factions and great RPG systems. You make your own story (and so far I've had an amazing time doing it. My current long-term intention is to build a huge prison and lock up every slave trader I can catch.)

Read my favorite Steam review (not written by me) here, or read about my exploits in the game here: 1 2 3.

I'm not an expert but would be delighted to try to answer any questions you might have.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 1st, 2018, 1:50 pm
by Drool
Mmm... this sounds almost exactly what I was looking for. "RTS/RPG hybrid" sounds kind of horrifying, but it also sounds like I can ignore the base building if I want.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 1st, 2018, 1:58 pm
by Zombra
Drool wrote:
July 1st, 2018, 1:50 pm
Mmm... this sounds almost exactly what I was looking for. "RTS/RPG hybrid" sounds kind of horrifying, but it also sounds like I can ignore the base building if I want.
Yep! The only thing you have to do is figure out a way to feed yourself. I went with farming (for this playthrough) because I like the security of knowing I can make my own food. But you can turn bandit, or sneak and steal, or be a good guy and hunt bandits, or hunt beasts and cook the meat over a campfire, or whatever else you can think of. For a drifter without a home I recommend looking into bounty hunting.

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 2nd, 2018, 6:16 am
by Woolfe
Zombra wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm
Drool wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 4:36 pm
I'm looking for a good open world rpg-kinda game. I just kinda wanna run around in a world doing stuff while ignoring plot. So, kinda like the Elder Scrolls games, but not necessarily fantasy. Lesser know/under appreciated would be great if anyone has any ideas. Cheap is always a bonus.
I just discovered Kenshi this week. It's technically early access, but the current version number is 0.98.34. VERY close to release. Been in development about 8 years? It's discounted now and price will increase when v1.0 is published. It does not have a main plot or "quests". Instead, it has a fascinating world with dozens of factions and great RPG systems. You make your own story (and so far I've had an amazing time doing it. My current long-term intention is to build a huge prison and lock up every slave trader I can catch.)

Read my favorite Steam review (not written by me) here, or read about my exploits in the game here: 1 2 3.

I'm not an expert but would be delighted to try to answer any questions you might have.
OOOh is that close to release.... I saw that years ago, and thought it looked interesting, but didn't want to dig into it only to have to wait.... have to have another look now...

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm
by deltamind
I am currently playing PUBG on mobile because for some reason the servers are better on mobile than PC, either it's my network or the game I couldn't really figure it out hehe!

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 6th, 2018, 10:24 am
by paultakeda
Zombra wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 11:48 pm
I just discovered Kenshi this week.
That video trailer had me at "YOU ARE NOT THE CHOSEN ONE."

Re: What'cha Playing?

Posted: July 6th, 2018, 11:25 pm
by Zombra
:lol:

(And yes, it is confirmed that your starting PC can die and the game goes on.)