What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

demeisen
Explorer

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by demeisen » November 18th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Darkwood.

Best played at night... with the room lights off.

zari
Initiate

Post by zari » December 10th, 2017, 5:00 am

Now:
Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 PTU
Wasteland 2

Next:
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 10th, 2017, 9:33 am

I just finished >observer_, very cool cyberpunk "walking simulator" starring Rutger Hauer. I liked it but it has a lot of problems. Great story,
great acting, great art and atmosphere, too long, too obscure, no gameplay tension, crap ending. Steam review with full details.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Stellaris has dragged me back into its clutches...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, the Antitribu mod. Having a lot of fun playing a Tzimisce.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 10th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Tron 2.0 (3rd time through)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 12th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Also been playing a lot of the Impossible Mission DS port which has a mostly pointless "modernization" but also has the original version which I've been playing over and over.

I loved the game as a kid even though I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. I just liked the voice synth and that "the guy does flips!".
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 12th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Drool wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 6:32 pm
Also been playing a lot of the Impossible Mission DS port which has a mostly pointless "modernization" but also has the original version which I've been playing over and over.

I loved the game as a kid even though I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. I just liked the voice synth and that "the guy does flips!".
Such a great game. Simple but often challenging gameplay, then the puzzle pieces. And the voice.

"Another visitor... Stay awhile ... Stay.. FOREVER!!!!!!!"

"Destroy him my robots!"

That voice is permanently ingrained in my psyche....

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » December 13th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Woolfe wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm
Stellaris has dragged me back into its clutches...
Yeah me too. Such a great game and so much more still coming. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » December 13th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Grohal wrote:
December 13th, 2017, 11:33 pm
I only play Stellaris with the Star Trek New Horizons Mod installed.
Never touched the Vanilla Game, only played it with the mod and yes, its a great game (and a great mod ^^, really looking forward to the
next big updates).

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 14th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Godfather101 wrote:
December 13th, 2017, 11:44 pm
Grohal wrote:
Never touched the Vanilla Game, only played it with the mod and yes, its a great game (and a great mod ^^, really looking forward to the
next big updates).
I'm not enough of a trek fan to ever bother with a mod for it.

I just love the empire growth and complexity.... And the unexpectedness of it. Every game is different and interestingly so.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » December 15th, 2017, 5:37 am

Yeah, i understand that.
But as i'm a big trek fan (well at least of the "old" Tv Series Next Generation, Voyager and of course the great DS9) i really like what they've done there.

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » December 15th, 2017, 9:06 am

Woolfe wrote:
December 14th, 2017, 6:06 pm
Godfather101 wrote:
December 13th, 2017, 11:44 pm
Grohal wrote:
next big updates).
I'm not enough of a trek fan to ever bother with a mod for it.

I just love the empire growth and complexity.... And the unexpectedness of it. Every game is different and interestingly so.
Try the Alpha Mod - and NSC (more ship components and ships) and you ll never play Vanilla again. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 20th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Currently Grim Dawn. At 120 hours in just over 2 weeks and still not ready to put it down.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » December 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Lucius wrote:
December 20th, 2017, 6:45 pm
Currently Grim Dawn. At 120 hours in just over 2 weeks and still not ready to put it down.
I had a similar experience when it came out. I didn't put quite as many hours in, but I don't think a game had hooked me for such a consistent period of time in quite a while. :D Its core loop and pacing is just so well done. I thought I had got tired of the Diablo formula but that evidently wasn't the case.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » December 21st, 2017, 9:51 am

The Division Gold Ed. went on sale for $27, so that.

BC_Programmer
Initiate

Post by BC_Programmer » December 24th, 2017, 4:37 am

Until Dawn, Uncharted

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 1st, 2018, 8:05 pm

Finally picked up Xenonauts on the cheap.

It is everything that X-com(reboot) wasn't. Which is not all positive.

Gameplay. Well it's X-com original. Tweaked.

So the start has you building an initial base. You get to pick its exact location. Putting it in a spot that covers more of the wealthier countries is key.
Countries are now broken down into economic regions. Europe, Soviet Union(this is set in the 80s during the cold war), Middle East, Asia, Australasia, North, Central and South America, North and South Africa.
You cover them with a radar circle to try and detect the aliens. No stupid Satellites that cover England or ALL of the USSR.

Base design is classic X-com. Radar Arrays(Building more increases your coverage), Defences, Hangars, Living Area, Labs and Workshops.
I haven't had a base defence yet. But that is mostly because I have been successfully fending the alien ships off. It can occur though.
I may yet let it happen at least once before endgame just to see how it plays out.

Oh and here is my first criticism. The GUI is a bit clunky. For example the Hire/Fire Mechanic, whilst fairly consistent across the 3 areas, could have been done better. Still it gets the job done, and once used to it, it is easy to manage and works.

Speaking of hiring and firing. You get to actually run your base again. You hire and fire scientists/Engineers, allowing you to incrementally increase/decrease them as funds become available. Its not immediate either, there is always a delay between hiring and them arriving at the base, so firing and re-hiring will always give a negative affect both in a one off hire cost and time.
The Soldiers have several stats, with values that allow up to 100. Though Privates will have at best 60+. The clunky UI raises its head here as well, with the stats taking a little time to learn what is good and what isn't. With Reflexes and Bravery being the most "Unknown"

Aliens turn up in scouts etc first. Doing standard type missions, you can shoot them down, or if landed intercept directly with your X team.
Shooting them down involves sending up to 3 fighter interceptors, once they reach the target you can engage manually or Autoresolve, Or let them tail the target. Which is useful when they are over water, you can select tail until overland, and then shoot them down.

Air combat is a basic affair and works, though is overly simplistic. They might have been better simply having every fight autoresolve. It was better than the original x-com, but not by much.

Before Launching your Team to attack the downed UFO, it is worthwhile checking their gear. You can change their "role" with quite a few different variations. Rifleman being the basic type, Assault having a close range shotgun, Sniper and heavy weapons, a scout role, and a Shield role, which was a useful addition, as despite only having a pistol, the added armour of the shield gave you a moveable "wall" to hide behind.
Each role had a default set of gear. Which you could then customise on an individual level. You could also modify the default, allowing you to adjust it appropriately as armour and weapons changed.

Combat was great, just like the old x-com. You can target anything, use grenades to clear terrain, etc. You can do incremental movements and you will need to in the early game, as life is definitely cheap. Do NOT get attached to early soldiers. I initially found the AI simple to deal with, but as the game went on, different types of aliens started appearing, and different levels as well, and I had some backdooring me, whilst others would shoot at me from a distance, Grenades thrown at me at the most inopportune times etc. The AI was still not hard to beat, but even in the late game it was possible to lose 2 or 3 guys in quick succession if you were not a little mindful of your surroundings.
The only gripes was the lack of Autocovering, one of the few things I will give the X-com Reboot full credit for, and the whole crouching would sometime just get a little tedious, especially when you didn't account properly and were unable to shoot after crouching. The game did a good job of preventing that by allowing you to select how much move you wanted to reserve. (snap, normal, aimed or burst amounts) But mostly the combat was fun. It did get a little tiring at times some of the larger vessels were quite substantial, but the good news is you don't need to take on every alien you shoot down. You can instead select an airstrike button, which wipes the ufo out, but only gives you a limited amounted of the value of taking it out manually.
One last gripe about the combat, it would have been nice to be able to zoom right in. But they clearly didn't have a graphics budget for that.

Which brings me to finance. It auto sells most stuff, so anything that can't be used is "sold" for cash, so no need to create a black market economy.
And the gear you make will only give you a small return on the original cost to build, so no fiddly "finance" messing around. If you run out of money, then you need to sell stuff at a loss or reduce your overheads or hit a couple of ufo's manually.

Gear progression is good. With 4 different ranks of weaponry types, as well as several types of armour (including Light or Heavy armour), several fighters, dropships and tanks. The game paces itself well here, I never felt like I was totally dominating, and whenever I started to get to that point the strength/equipment of my opponents would increase as well, leaving me sometimes behind trying to catch up, and other times bringing me back into line.

Soldiers level up a little after every combat. Getting small incremental bonuses based on actions and role type. They also "Rank up" From Private to Colonel. They also receive medals which gives them bonuses to their Bravery.

They still die though, and losing several can be a big effort to replace them with privates.

Aliens come in waves, and you will feel a little overwhelmed for several days, and then have nothing for several days. Alien bases will be setup and need to be destroyed before they influence the nations to leaving. Ships get bigger and more dangerous as time goes on, with more and better Aliens to fight.
On the aliens, each had their own style. You had the "humanlike" ones that operated similar to you but with some psychic attacks as well, the lizardmen who were tough but best at short range, the robot aliens who would literally walk through walls, flying sniper types, and of course, the chrysalid types who come tearing across great distances slaying your men and turning them into walking zombies that will spawn a new one. Oh and the teleporting "wraith" aliens. Who would sometimes appear behind you (yay).

The Endgame is coming up, literally I have a research option called "Endgame Operation". But thus far I have spent quite a few hours thoroughly enjoying the gameplay.
It is like the original game, but with appropriate tweaks and shortcuts, fixing the annoying elements of the original.

cdoublejj
Scholar

Post by cdoublejj » January 6th, 2018, 1:14 pm

ARK Survival Evolved after having it sit in my library for so long.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 10th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Over the holiday I tried to finish up as many shorter titles as I could, which led to me completing Transistor, DmC (2013), and Layers of Fear. Kind of a running theme of checking out games outside my normal wheelhouse, for whatever reason.

Transistor is one I had somehow put off for a year or two, but when I finally was able to sit down and play it, that time went by very fast. It was a very interesting game with one of the most unique combat systems I have seen in a long time. It did the RTwP thing, but in a totally different way from any other game I've seen. The ability combinations were also always fun to play with, and it forced me to rethink a lot of my strategies right until the end. The music and art were also a complete master class in style, and the story, although vague, was presented in a very thought-provoking way. Highly recommended.

DmC was pure endorphin rush. The first few hours were a little slow, but a little deeper into the game I was hooked. The story and set pieces were big and dumb in the best possible ways. I am not a big character action player, so I couldn't compare it directly to other games like Bayonetta, but I had fun with it for sure, even if I'm probably not a very skilled at it.

Layers of Fear was interesting and not at all my usual kind of game... I think I picked it up in a bundle somewhere along the line. I'm not at all a horror game fan, but I enjoyed how dense the atmosphere was, and combining the puzzles and exploration with different endings and branching paths was a very interesting approach. Considering the relatively small team and scope, I was also impressed with just how polished it was, and how much use they got out of the art and design without feeling like it ran out of steam. It's a pretty short one and is a bit high on the jump scare threshold, but it made me eager to take a look at the studio's newest game, Observer.