What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by Lord of Riva » July 1st, 2017, 2:20 am

the comparison to DK 3 is always the best compliment for me so thanks :)
again i hope you guys enjoy the game, thats why we made it :D

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » July 1st, 2017, 11:35 am

Played a little bit of War for the Overworld myself and liked what i've seen.
Really great game.

But right now i'm playing the Stellaris Mod Star Trek: New Horizons ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxdx8gOv4M a stream from Total Buiscuit playing the mod). Funny thing is, i didn't install Stellaris until i saw the mod.Now i already played 13 hours in 2 days. :D

Although the mod is not finsihed i'm having a blast with it.
Everyone who likes Star Trek should look at this mod, as it is really really great.

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » July 1st, 2017, 3:05 pm

Rebuild 3 Gangs of Deadsville
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » July 4th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Grohal wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 3:05 pm
Rebuild 3 Gangs of Deadsville
Heh... I backed it, as I loved the original 2 games. I got quite the shock when I came face to face with myself in that Game. :-)

It's still pretty fun. Was playing it last night actually. :lol:
Lord of Riva wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 2:20 am
the comparison to DK 3 is always the best compliment for me so thanks :)
again i hope you guys enjoy the game, thats why we made it :D
I'll add it to my wishlist and grab it next time :-) I have been looking for a good DK clone
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 6th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm
I worked on that one so tell me your thoughts
Don't know if I'm missing the command, but...

The game starts at an angle, like with NE to the top. The Majordomo will tell me things are to the east or whatever, but there's no compass rose on the mini map, and there doesn't appear to be a command to snap the view to a north = up alignment.

Also, it can get a little... busy. What with all the units, rituals, defenses, spells, constructs, potions, etc. It's a lot to manage and makes the whole thing feel a little... overstuffed. It's still fun, but it's a bit overwhelming, especially with popping open the sin menu to unlock even more things (incidentally, it can be difficult to see what needs to be unlocked and what already is, since unlocked items still say "unlock").

It's still a good game, and I'm still enjoying it, but those are the things that jumped out at me today.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » July 6th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Drool wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Lord of Riva wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm
I worked on that one so tell me your thoughts
Don't know if I'm missing the command, but...

The game starts at an angle, like with NE to the top. The Majordomo will tell me things are to the east or whatever, but there's no compass rose on the mini map, and there doesn't appear to be a command to snap the view to a north = up alignment.
you can read the map as up = North and reset the camera with the home key (which is the shortcut to Jump to the dungeon core as well) otherwise there is indeed no option to "snap" the to a specific viewpoint.

Also, it can get a little... busy. What with all the units, rituals, defenses, spells, constructs, potions, etc. It's a lot to manage and makes the whole thing feel a little... overstuffed. It's still fun, but it's a bit overwhelming, especially with popping open the sin menu to unlock even more things (incidentally, it can be difficult to see what needs to be unlocked and what already is, since unlocked items still say "unlock").

It's still a good game, and I'm still enjoying it, but those are the things that jumped out at me today.
Hrm, yes we had this debate internally a lot (mind you, i was not the designer although we debated a lot). And i cant go into much detail but there was a lot of hence in forth in that regard. I can only say that our very talented gamedesigner found a good middle ground overall in my opinion, although naturally you can disagree with that :P

I actually agree with the tooltip being confusing that one is a typical issue you get when you play a game way to much and start to miss out some details.

It was certainly amazing to see the spectrum of opinions in the community, including the negative feedback so please keep it coming if you have more feedback. Just be aware that i am not working for Brightrock anymore at this point (which is why im using the past tense all the time) and while i love to hear your thoughts it will not reach the devs here, for that you will have to go to the Brightrock forum, vist their Discord or Userecho :)

I wont link them here out of respect for InXile, since i do not want to advertise :P

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 7th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 9:55 pm
you can read the map as up = North and reset the camera with the home key (which is the shortcut to Jump to the dungeon core as well) otherwise there is indeed no option to "snap" the to a specific viewpoint.
That helps, but it's still awkward for the main field of view. I sort of get the trapezoid superimposed on the map, but I can't remember which way it faces when I'm in game. The home snap can help, but it spins my camera.

I may be a little obsessive over this.
Hrm, yes we had this debate internally a lot (mind you, i was not the designer although we debated a lot). And i cant go into much detail but there was a lot of hence in forth in that regard. I can only say that our very talented gamedesigner found a good middle ground overall in my opinion, although naturally you can disagree with that :P
My goodness. I hate to imagine how much more was under consideration. The number of rally flags alone makes my eyes cross as is. Although, the worker-specific rally flag is fantastic and very useful.

Somewhat related, I don't understand the... um... whatever that construct is that claims a 3x3 section. By the time my worker has built it, the others have claimed all the land around it anyway. I tried using it three or four times, but never found it even remotely useful.
Just be aware that i am not working for Brightrock anymore at this point (which is why im using the past tense all the time) and while i love to hear your thoughts it will not reach the devs here, for that you will have to go to the Brightrock forum, vist their Discord or Userecho
Understood. This is more just kinda venting. I mean, I could bitch about DK2 as well and I really enjoyed that game.

And we can all agree it's vastly superior to that abomination masquerading as Dungeon Keeper on mobile.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » July 8th, 2017, 1:44 am

Drool wrote:
July 7th, 2017, 9:31 pm
Somewhat related, I don't understand the... um... whatever that construct is that claims a 3x3 section. By the time my worker has built it, the others have claimed all the land around it anyway. I tried using it three or four times, but never found it even remotely useful.
The Outpost, kind of my baby actually.

If you reach the Heart of Gold content you will find the direct use of that construct.

The Outpost as part of the wrath tree is a form of rapid expansion it serves these purposes:

1. The Outpost can claim Territory that is unclaimed but not adjacent to your own Terrain. So even if there is Water, Lava*, Abyss* or Sacred Earth in between your tiles and the tiles you want to conquer. This helps massively in expanding your dungeon fast, claiming shrines and Attacking.

2. The Outpost reclaims all tiles around itself as long as it exists, Workers (at least in the meta i left) are unable to destroy a Outpost on their own. Your enemy will have to commit to an attack to destroy it, giving you the option to bait him into a trap.

3. Try to use Prophecy, Outpost, then assembly/forge for a great combination to create a defensive or offensive chokepoint there is nothing more demoralising than a bunch of bombards directly besides the enemy core ;)

*4. Im not sure how much you have progressed but there is also a ritual to build constructs without the need of your workers to go to its location. This opens up a lot of possible uses including the mentioned claim of territory cut of by lava and Abyss.

Hope that helps :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 8th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
July 8th, 2017, 1:44 am
*4. Im not sure how much you have progressed but there is also a ritual to build constructs without the need of your workers to go to its location. This opens up a lot of possible uses including the mentioned claim of territory cut of by lava and Abyss.
That would help, yeah.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 13th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Have anyone tried and can recommend Expeditions Conquistador or Expeditions Viking?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Remo wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 12:36 pm
Have anyone tried and can recommend Expeditions Conquistador or Expeditions Viking?
I played some Conquistador and liked it, but got distracted with other games and didn't get far. Definitely "not not worth playing".
Hope that helps. :)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 19th, 2017, 10:14 am

What'cha Playing?
Presently, Death Knights of Krynn; and Champions of Krynn before that.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 19th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I mostly liked those two entries. It just went off the rails with power creep in Dark Queen.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » September 20th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Currently most of the time Divinity original Sin 2.
Really like that game, although there are still some minor bugs.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 30th, 2017, 6:50 am

I finished Doom last week. One of the best shooters I've played in years, with an incredibly strong core loop and some great visuals. My only real complaint was that it wasn't longer and didn't have even more variety. It's hard to believe that 20+ years later, Doom can still somehow be one of the most relevant games in its genre.

Beyond that, Divinity: Original Sin 2, of course. Game's a stellar update on an already stellar game.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » September 30th, 2017, 9:47 am

Midway through Tides of Numenera in a 1.1 play-through. Just got access to Miel Avest after 25 hours apparently. Thought the second play-through would be less time consuming but maybe not. Oom is a great character and companion -- it could easily be dropped into Planescape -- and its tidal dialogue enhancements are really appropriate for my current TLC who believes she is TCG. Nothing like a good in-game explanation for what is normally meta-game information... which is how it should be.

Next I think I will play Tyranny or maybe System Shock. I played System Shock 2 but I didn't love it and I read the predecessor wasn't an RPG so I lost interest. I don't know if that's true or false. Prey and the 2018 remake have me interested in the series again though. Not sure if I should wait for System Shock 2018 or play the OG.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 30th, 2017, 2:24 pm

I've been replaying Fallout: New Vagas, and some friends sucked my into Payday 2. I'm not a big fan, but it's pretty fun with friends who don't mind when I screw up.

And, since I'm almost out of WL2 videos to post, I should get started on Curse of the Azure Bonds soon.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 30th, 2017, 3:33 pm

I'm at the last battle in Death Knights. Next will be Dark Queen (of Krynn).

@Jozape
Have you tried the Shadowrun series?

@Drool
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Also: https://github.com/simeonpilgrim/coab

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 30th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Jozape wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 9:47 am
Midway through Tides of Numenera in a 1.1 play-through. Just got access to Miel Avest after 25 hours apparently. Thought the second play-through would be less time consuming but maybe not. Oom is a great character and companion -- it could easily be dropped into Planescape -- and its tidal dialogue enhancements are really appropriate for my current TLC who believes she is TCG. Nothing like a good in-game explanation for what is normally meta-game information... which is how it should be.
Glad you are enjoying your second playthrough! Gavin, George, Colin, Jeremy, Charlie, and the other team members put a lot of effort into that update, and Oom in particular. :D
Jozape wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 9:47 am
Next I think I will play Tyranny or maybe System Shock. I played System Shock 2 but I didn't love it and I read the predecessor wasn't an RPG so I lost interest. I don't know if that's true or false. Prey and the 2018 remake have me interested in the series again though. Not sure if I should wait for System Shock 2018 or play the OG.
System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's definitely aged a bit, and those the Dark Engine graphics don't hold up as well as some of the other ones from its era. However, it's where Prey, BioShock and others are drawing almost all their inspiration from. There's a lot of excellent mods that make it easier to get into, so you might want to give it another shot before the remake: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=2.0

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » October 1st, 2017, 10:48 pm

Gizmo wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 3:33 pm
Have you tried the Shadowrun series?
Slacker backer but barely played it. Haven't liked the inclusion of the usual fantasy races in the corporate sci-fi setting. Warming up to it though.
sear wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 3:57 pm
System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's definitely aged a bit, and those the Dark Engine graphics don't hold up as well as some of the other ones from its era. However, it's where Prey, BioShock and others are drawing almost all their inspiration from. There's a lot of excellent mods that make it easier to get into, so you might want to give it another shot before the remake: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=2.0
I've actually played through all of SS2. I liked it but SS1 couldn't compete with my interest for other games and game series at the time. The only thing about the game that was really annoying -- taking into consideration its target audience -- was the input latency. That wasn't enough to make the game unplayable though.