What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

GodComplex
Master

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by GodComplex » December 4th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Drool wrote:I've been playing Skyrim lately.

Yeah, that's right. Skyrim. Come at me, bro.
Nah, you're obviously a masochist and would enjoy it.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » December 5th, 2013, 12:26 am

Dug up my old favourite System Shock 2 again (which I always preferred to the Deus Ex series). One of my big pipe dreams has been creating a proper spiritual successor one day, provided I get to gain a foothold in the game dev scene to begin with; for now I'm busy dabbling in dissecting Irem-style arcade shmups.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2013, 4:30 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:Dug up my old favourite System Shock 2 again (which I always preferred to the Deus Ex series). One of my big pipe dreams has been creating a proper spiritual successor one day, provided I get to gain a foothold in the game dev scene to begin with; for now I'm busy dabbling in dissecting Irem-style arcade shmups.
You should check out some mods, there's some great ones out there for SS2
Matthias did nothing wrong!

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » December 5th, 2013, 4:43 am

I know, that's exactly what I'm doing :D .

Fun fact: What actually got me back into the game and into musing over evolving its mechanics was Roger Corman's 1963 B-movie classic X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes :lol: . I'm dreaming of a SS-based game that makes top-tier skills more interesting and challenging by introducing game-altering drawbacks such as e.g. near-blindness for PSI characters, forcing them to rely on mind control abilities in order to see and shit.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2013, 6:06 am

After you install SS2 (GOG or Steam version) you should install SS2Tool, and then extract the contents of the mod files (zips) into the DataPermMods folder, within your system shock 2 install directory.

These are the mods I use (they are all compatible with each other):

You have no how good this makes the game look (and play) 8-)

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » December 5th, 2013, 7:11 am

Dude, I know how to handle the SS2 mods (but thanks for your advice nontheless) :D .

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2013, 7:14 am

Oh fair enough then, carry on

pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous » December 5th, 2013, 8:14 am

Saint's Row IV. I'm disappointed that I can't coat the town in shit or break up random street brawls between pirates and ninjas with help from random pimps, but it's still a good time.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 5th, 2013, 8:26 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:Fun fact: What actually got me back into the game and into musing over evolving its mechanics was Roger Corman's 1963 B-movie classic X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes
That movie freaking rules.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » December 6th, 2013, 5:14 am

Since I've been killing time the past few weeks while I've (im)patiently waited for the Wasteland 2 beta, I've taken to working through my Steam playlist. I picked up a LOT of random games during their Summer Sale, and it seemed a shame to leave all those games unplayed.

So, in the past month, I've jammed through A Valley Without Wind 2 (bleh), Aliens: Colonial Marines (meh), Brutal Legend (woo!), Hotline Miami (trippy!), Long Live the Queen (don't look at me like that, it sounded fun), Mark of the Ninja (thumbs up!), Mars: War Logs (not terrible), Risen 2 (until I got bored), Torchlight II (also until I got bored), and the Underrail Alpha (really promising). I also use Borderlands 2 and Skyrim as virtual palette cleansers.

As of today, I'm setting my sights on Bastion. I've heard good things about it. Also just picked up Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which looks hilariously awesome.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » December 6th, 2013, 6:54 am

Blood Dragon is worth twice what it costs. It wasn't that long, but there was some serious love put into it.
~Damoriel

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » December 6th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Way, way too much World of Warcraft. Though I could probably deliver a rant on the game's faults of such length as to be worthy of Joseph Howe, I still keep playing it. Probably says something about me.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 6th, 2013, 5:53 pm

GodComplex wrote:Blood Dragon is worth twice what it costs. It wasn't that long, but there was some serious love put into it.
Indeed its on special at the moment... 80% off.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » December 6th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Bioshock Infinite was on sale, I fully intend to get me some good ol face shooting this evening.
~Damoriel

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 7th, 2013, 8:19 am

GodComplex wrote:Blood Dragon is worth twice what it costs. It wasn't that long, but there was some serious love put into it.
It's just too bad it requires the travesty that is uPlay.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » December 7th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Drool wrote:
It's just too bad it requires the travesty that is uPlay.
Still better than Windows Live for games. Which is like saying the flu is better than SARS.
~Damoriel

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » December 7th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Ah, GFWL. The quintessential Microsoft product: an anodyne agglomeration of poorly implemented features that someone else would do right later, built around a vague delusion of a Microsoft-only future by a team with no idea how the hell that would work, larded with the sort of bureaucratic horseshit that could only have been crafted by people who were genuinely proud to be hall monitors in grade school, and quickly abandoned as a serious concern even as mysterious updates that did nothing of value were shat out for a decade afterward.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

clearer
Scholar

Post by clearer » December 7th, 2013, 5:34 pm

ffordesoon wrote:Ah, GFWL. The quintessential Microsoft product: an anodyne agglomeration of poorly implemented features that someone else would do right later, built around a vague delusion of a Microsoft-only future by a team with no idea how the hell that would work, larded with the sort of bureaucratic horseshit that could only have been crafted by people who were genuinely proud to be hall monitors in grade school, and quickly abandoned as a serious concern even as mysterious updates that did nothing of value were shat out for a decade afterward.
I always considered it to be a desperate last attempt to maintain a non-existant monopoly.

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » December 9th, 2013, 10:27 am

Just got an update that Kentucky Route Zero is about to release Act III!

If someone is looking for a quick fix before the beta of WL2 comes out this week, I'd strongly recommend Kentucky Route Zero. I've never played anything like it before. The writing, the atmosphere, and the sound design are out of this world good. Each Act takes about two or three hours.

Between there are two that are currently released, you could easily make it to midweek, and in a weird way I could see the KR0 and WL2 being an excellent pairing.

EDIT: Also, as a good time burner (and totally playable at work) this is an interesting Post Apocalyptic resource management strategy game done over browsers: A Dark Room (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/)
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 10th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Wasteland, natch. Also playing Red Baron, and thus reliving some of the better moments of my youth.