What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by Zombra » May 27th, 2017, 2:41 am

vv221 wrote:
April 12th, 2017, 7:20 am
Why don’t you give a try to story mode if you’re interested in the narration but the combat system repels you?
Crosmando wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 7:42 am
For me it's probably because playing on ultra-easy feels like cheating.
I completely understand that feeling, but as a gamer it's good to overcome stupidity like this. (Not taking a crack at you Cros, I'm taking a crack at "tough guy" culture.) If a game system is making you miserable, stop using it. It's not cheating and it's not even wussing out, it's just admitting that this isn't fun or valuable and skipping it to get back to the good part. Note this is different from a game that gives you a (possibly frustrating) challenge that's empowering to overcome.

I spend a fair amount of time on RPG Codex, and I see a lot of people there who don't get the difference between "classic" design and just plain bad design. For some it's a point of pride to play games with tedious systems, not because it's challenging or engaging, but because they're ... well ... masochists. Suffering is cool, and pointless suffering is even cooler because so many people walk away from it. "I endured the stupidity of such-and-such a game, I'm a true gamer." Yeah, and I sat through all 8 seasons of Home Improvement, that makes me a hero too I guess?

Feelings are important, but it's OK to also use your brain and ask, "What the fuck am I doing?" Know what I mean?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 27th, 2017, 6:05 am

Back on Stellaris... Such an Epic game.

1 stagnant ascendancy decided they needed to bring religion back to the universe. I told them to feck off. They went to war with one of my neighbours, who my ally then decided to also go to war with, so fighting the easy fight, whilst building up a navy big enough to take on the religious nutters, and a second stagnant ascendancy decides that I am too close and they go to war with me as well. Then a big arse nation (part of 3 that I am in cold war with) decided to help the neighbour I was at war with, and began conquering my systems on the other side of the galaxy to my navy who were taking out the second ascendancy...

There is so much character in that game....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 27th, 2017, 9:39 am

Zombra wrote:
May 27th, 2017, 2:41 am
If a game system is making you miserable, stop using it.
When this happens, I stop playing; the story doesn't hold any interest for me if the game is lacking.

It's the same with comic books; good art & bad story is tolerable, but bad art kills interest in any story. Bad gameplay kills any interest in the game.

Imagine finding a superbly reviewed pre-press manuscript novel by one of your favorite authors, but it looks and smells like it was soaked in a septic tank... Would you struggle through its sticky pages trying to glean the story from it? (Or would you move on to another book?)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 27th, 2017, 11:38 pm

I appreciate that, Gizmo ... but I often find that I like certain game systems enough to tolerate those I dislike. If there's a setting to make the one I dislike disappear, I'll use it. Agree that if there's NO game without the bad systems, that doesn't qualify as a game I want to play either. But in the example of POE, the character and dialogue systems might be enough to sustain my interest if I ever get around to trying to play that game again. :)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 28th, 2017, 1:44 am

Zombra wrote:
May 27th, 2017, 11:38 pm
But in the example of POE, the character and dialogue systems might be enough to sustain my interest if I ever get around to trying to play that game again. :)
I got stuck PoE, because of a strange design choice. There is a map with a wall of thorns in one dungeon. The wall can be passed through as a text encounter; but apparently only one way. I passed through it, and it leads to a stairwell, or off into a tough encounter. I took the stairs, and cleared the next area. I took the next stairs and found that the map is too harsh for my weakened PCs, and apparently they would rather die than rest without a proper campsite—even on an empty map level. So with no way to rest, no way to heal, no way to replenish abilities, and no way to survive the tough encounter on the way back, they are forever trapped on an empty map; unable to push onward, or seek the surface. Bad design IMO.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 28th, 2017, 9:00 am

Let's see... looks like it's been a lot of shooters in my spare time.

First is Prey. I'm a huge sucker for a good immersive sim, and Prey is probably the best one that's come out since, well, System Shock 2. Really impressive art style and world-building, tense gameplay, and some incredibly nice, open-ended level design. Absolutely loving it so far.

Still going through the new Doom as well. I think I'm about 2/3rds into it now, but the levels are lengthy and dense enough that I've only been going through one every week or so. Hope to finish it soon!

On a related note, I also reinstalled Quake II recently. That game is still awesome as ever, especially if you get a decent source port up and running. I never played it as much as the original Quake, so my enjoyment is more retroactive, but I want to see if I can go back and finish it entirely one of these days. There's few modern shooters that feel as good to play.

I also grabbed Ziggurat in the recent Humble Bundle and finished it up on the normal difficulty. I don't know if I'll be going back to try the additional difficulty modes and characters, but I did enjoy it. I've tried a few "roguelike shooters" before and this is one of the better ones for sure.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 28th, 2017, 11:06 am

sear wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 9:00 am
First is Prey. I'm a huge sucker for a good immersive sim, and Prey is probably the best one that's come out since, well, System Shock 2. Really impressive art style and world-building, tense gameplay, and some incredibly nice, open-ended level design. Absolutely loving it so far.
Is Prey (2017) better than Prey (2006)?
On a related note, I also reinstalled Quake II recently. That game is still awesome as ever, especially if you get a decent source port up and running.
I could never play Quake II (Sim-Sickness), but I liked Quake, and was able to play Quake III.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 28th, 2017, 11:50 am

Gizmo wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 11:06 am
Is Prey (2017) better than Prey (2006)?
I haven't played either game, but I've been following a thread on another forum and all indications are that 2017 is very much worth playing.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 28th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Zombra wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 11:50 am
I haven't played either game, but I've been following a thread on another forum and all indications are that 2017 is very much worth playing.
The 2006 version>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGtYs9L1Is

I'll have to look into the new one; but it doesn't seem to be even remotely related. :?

I started playing Dead Space last night. The controls are kind of laggy, but it's been interesting so far.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 28th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Gizmo wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 12:45 pm
I'll have to look into the new one; but it doesn't seem to be even remotely related. :?
I don't believe they have anything in common or any connection. Not entirely sure why they reused the name. That said, it certainly looks really good.
sear wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 9:00 am
I also grabbed Ziggurat in the recent Humble Bundle and finished it up on the normal difficulty.
I quite like Ziggurat. I still fire it up from time to time when I have 10 or 15 minutes to kill and just wanna play something light, which rogue-likes are good for. If you're curious, the different characters play quite differently (aside from the starters, natch).
Gizmo wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 1:44 am
I got stuck PoE, because of a strange design choice.
Whereas I stopped because I just didn't care. I could tell it was very excited about its story, and it really wanted to tell it, but I just found myself nodding and making, "get on with it" motions with my hand. And largely hated everything about the system. And the whole random renaming generic fantasy races thing. No, those totally aren't Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits. Nope nope nope. Totes different.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » May 29th, 2017, 3:24 am

Played Fallout 4 this weekend. First and last time, I think. The UI is clumsy but at least it's better than Skyrim's. Draw distances are dramatically improved so you can actually see what's in front of you mostly. I think the voiced protagonist with vacuous dialogue wheel options is a deal breaker for me though. I don't feel like the character is mine or that I have any real control over them. I don't think it's impossible to make this work but it's the same problem that every other game with the same combo from before had so I don't think anyone should try to salvage it. Just rid us of it. It's a problematic formula.
Drool wrote:
May 28th, 2017, 9:34 pm
And the whole random renaming generic fantasy races thing. No, those totally aren't Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits. Nope nope nope. Totes different.
I guess it goes with their original Baldur's Gate plus Planescape: Torment equals Pillars of Eternity equation, which in practice meant the core elements of the former with only the most superficial elements of the latter i.e. "it's different". Personally though I'm just bored to tears by generic high fantasy -- which is what it is at its core -- so it's far down on my list, so far that often I don't even bother playing anything if my only options are game like PoE.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » June 19th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Battle Brothers is a great work friendly game.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 19th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Artifact Adventure is my current addiction. I've been playing it quite a bit. It's a great little JRPG throwback (think the original Dragon Warrior), but it's surprisingly deep and actually reactive. It's also pretty difficult. I've been wiped several times. If you even vaguely like old school JRPGs, it's worth checking out. I'm not a huge fan of them (I only got it because Extra Credits raved about it and it sounded neat), but I'm loving this game.

And it's only seven bucks.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » June 20th, 2017, 4:11 am

StarCrawlers, a proper dungeon-crawl, recently released, which i backed back in '14. One of the good things about it is, that the devs are very responsive and listen to feedback, so it gets better and better. I'm surprised so few people here play it, but i see that discovering it later will be even better, as it is improving every few weeks.

Javaman
Initiate

Post by Javaman » June 26th, 2017, 2:02 am

Hi, I haven't posted much here, but i wanted to drop in and boost the signal for a new historical RPG on Kickstarter: Pillars of History

It's a historical RPG set in Eastern Europe durign he 8th Century, so it's focused on the conflicts between the Byzantine Empire, encroaching Arab hordes and local pagan Slavic tribes. It's supposed to be similar to Baldur's gate in playstyle, and is using the Unity Engine.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 26th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Recently picked up War for the Overworld on the summer sale. I've only played a few minutes, but it's very much a new Dungeon Keeper game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Drool wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 6:32 pm
Recently picked up War for the Overworld on the summer sale. I've only played a few minutes, but it's very much a new Dungeon Keeper game.
well yeah then, i hope you have fun. I worked on that one so tell me your thoughts :P

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » June 29th, 2017, 10:42 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm
Drool wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 6:32 pm
(…) War for the Overworld (…)
well yeah then, i hope you have fun. I worked on that one so tell me your thoughts :P
It should have been named Dungeon Keeper 3, it is worthy of the name ;)

It seems to me it quickly gets much harder than Dungeon Keeper 2, but it is a good thing in my book. (or maybe I know DK2 too well to still find it really challenging)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 29th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm
I haven't had a chance to play too much, but what I've seen so far is exactly what I expected. Looks great.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » June 30th, 2017, 1:40 am

Sounds even better. Evil is back, baby!