What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

macksting
Explorer

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by macksting » February 16th, 2016, 12:38 pm

openxcom, an open source thingy for X-Com. Uses the original files. Just met my first mutons ever.

One of them took a goddamn rocket to the face and was still standing.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 17th, 2016, 1:43 pm

paultakeda wrote:I haven't gamed at all since the new year. Now I feel sad.
Welcome to the club. I love RPGs, but they are always burning me out mentally to such an extent that I can't even look at my PC without disgust. And this year I've done more RPG gaming than last 3-4 years combined.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » February 25th, 2016, 9:35 am

Been sinking a lot of hours into "Eador: Masters of the Broken World" lately. It's a turn-based strategy game set in a fantasy world where the planet has been shattered into hundreds of pieces. You take on the role of one of many astral beings intent on conquering and reuniting the shards for your own purposes. As you progress through the game you can steadily establish a "reputation" for yourself (via the Karma system), which will determine what kind of diplomatic options are available to you - such as which of the other astral beings will cooperate with you, or which of the mortal races will be willing to serve you.

It's certainly not the most complex strategy game on the market, but it's been a fun way to kill time. The only real negative is that the campaign is extraordinarily slow-paced, because you have to conquer literally dozens of shards before the "end-game" - and every time you conquer a shard, you essentially leave your high-level mortal servants behind and start anew in the next shard you want to conquer. As you develop more power (ie, collect more shards) you'll gain the ability to start with more and more bonuses in later shards, but this happens very slowly.

I had this one sitting in my backlog for a long while, ever since I bought it during one of the big sales a year or two ago, but it's definitely proven to at least be worth the five or ten bucks that I spent on it.

EDIT - Also mucking around a bit with "Sunless Sea" on the side. Got it in a recent Humble Bundle, and it's been pretty interesting. Not perfect by any stretch, but the atmosphere and setting are definitely very intriguing.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 24th, 2016, 8:20 am

Shadowrun:Hong Kong

It's a good sequel IMO. I'm still early into it; I like S:Dragonfall better [atm], but I like the new improvements to the matrix hacking; [realtime alarms, and the hacking challenges].

So far S:HK has been a little too linear with the interactive NPCs ~but it's not bad at all.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 31st, 2016, 8:54 pm

Just jammed through "South Park: The Stick of Truth". I'm not a big fan of the show, so it's not normally the sort of game I'd buy, but I received a copy as part of the April bundle from HumbleBundle. It was actually surprisingly fun, though short. I jammed through my first playthrough in about three days, then did a second run in another two days just so I could finish grabbing all the achievements.

I've always felt that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are very talented parody artists, and quite capable of writing some very clever scripts. But on the other hand, I'm just not much a fan of how often they resort to heavy-handed "shock humor". The show uses a lot of that, and the game is no exception. It starts off pretty tame, relatively speaking, but there are some pretty grotesque sequences by the time you reach the end of the game.

All said, I don't regret having played through it - but I don't intend to ever play it again.

EDIT - And speaking of the April bundle from HumbleBundle, I just started playing "The Magic Circle" as well. I'd never heard of it before, but it's actually pretty fascinating. It's essentially a puzzle game where you're stuck in an unfinished fantasy RPG. You're tasked with finishing the game as best you can, while simultaneously learning about the bizarrely dysfunctional development team behind it. James Urbaniak (Venture Bros, Old World Blues) plays the lead developer, and he's quite adept at playing an absurdly egotistical (and simultaneously ineffectual) game designer.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » April 6th, 2016, 11:14 am

Stardew Valley. This game is more addictive than cocaine.

Drool
Forum Moderator

What'cha Playing?

Post by Drool » April 4th, 2017, 9:37 pm

I think there was a thread for this, but I figured I'd start a new one.

Personally, I've been playing quite a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and... Daggerfall. Oh yeah. Turns out, you can get Daggerfall and Arena for free from Bethesda. It's kinda hard to find from Bethesda's website, so I'd just go in via search engine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by SagaDC » April 4th, 2017, 10:32 pm

I'm playing, uh...

Mass Effect Andromeda.

I was going to skip it, but I finally decided I was invested enough in the setting to at least play through the new game once. I'm most of the way through it, and all I can really say about it is that it's truly earned it's 70% average review rating (though if I were personally rating it, I might have gone as low as a 60%). It's a decent game at it's core, but that's constantly obscured behind clunky animations, clunky controls, clunky (and baffling) UI decisions, repetitive and unskippable cut scenes, and awkward "MMO-Lite" design elements. Most of the story and setting elements are just rehashed ideas lifted from the original trilogy, but there are occasional moments of genuinely entertaining dialogue (mostly the "party banter").

I don't regret buying it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they're a really big fan of the setting and just want to see what direction the franchise is moving in.

Aside from that I'm also putzing around with Battle Brothers, which just reached full release as of last week. I'm eagerly looking forward to the full release for Star Crawlers next month, which is already a great game even in it's Early Access form. I don't normally go for JRPGs but both of my siblings have been heavily recommending Persona 5, so I might end up checking that out some time over the next few weeks.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 5th, 2017, 1:36 am

Currently I'm playing, Overlord, TToN, and several recently released FRUA campaigns; but mostly the FRUA designs.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 5th, 2017, 1:48 am

TTON, starting my second playthrough :) And then the Beamdog edition of PsT , will give me a good reason to replay PsT (if one ever needs a reason for that). And then... probably something very different for a change, like maybe back to some Kerbal, or some strategy game, depending on my mood.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » April 5th, 2017, 1:56 am

im currently playing Baldurs Gate 2 EE after finishing the first one.

I really like most "improvements" but some are a bit Jarring (Journal, some of the characters etc.) In general its a improvement over the original version though.

Im enjoying myself

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » April 5th, 2017, 1:59 am

Played Dragon Age Inquisition for a week or so. Now waiting for the Stellaris update and DLC. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » April 5th, 2017, 11:05 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution in preparation for finally starting on Mankind Divided, and Pillars of Eternity meanwhile. I also reinstalled Vampire Bloodlines recently... And I bought Watch Dogs 2 after hearing about the emergent AI. So little time...

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 5th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Mount and Blade : Warband.

Quite enjoying the openness and combat. Trying to work out what castle to attempt to take so I can create my own independent kingdom :-)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » April 6th, 2017, 6:37 am

I just finished re-playing Thief and now I'm re-playing Hitman:Absolution
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 6th, 2017, 9:07 am

I'm playing an absolutely amazing FRUA mod, by Kieth Allen; called "Descent into Darkness".

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » April 6th, 2017, 5:16 pm

I was playing ME: Andromeda, but I got bored right around the point where I got the tiny ship. So now I'm spending more time in Guild Wars 2 as in order to keep up with my Sunday morning group I need to farm and kit more than I tend to do (I'm not a very big MMO player; it just happens to be the game to play with old friends across the country so there's something to occupy our eyeballs and fingers while we chat about our lives).

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » April 8th, 2017, 7:33 am

XCOM2.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 8th, 2017, 10:09 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
April 8th, 2017, 7:33 am
XCOM2.
Hearing rumors that XCOM 2 may be getting another big expansion at some point in the near future. Apparently one of the recent patches rearranged some of the file architecture, to make room for another piece of DLC.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 8th, 2017, 11:16 am

Let's look over my active shortcuts ...

Life is Strange, a weekly session with a friend of mine watching and discussing the story.

Borderlands 2, a weekly session with 3 friends.

Gotham City Impostors, whenever I have an hour or so to kill shooting clowns.

Beat Cop, a recently released pixel art 80s cop show story reminiscent of Papers, Please. (If you've never heard of it, check it out.)

Kentucky Route Zero, enjoyed Act I for my birthday yesterday. Going to allow some "breathing space" between acts as that's the recommended way to play, plus the finale isn't even out yet.

Grand Theft Auto V, still never finished the story mode, hope to wrap it up in the next month or so.

Star Control I - I don't really "play" it but set the computer AI to fight itself whenever I need to "zone out" for a little while.