What'cha Playing?

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

Yuri
Explorer

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by Yuri » November 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I'm trying not to play Sword of the Stars: The Pit.
This game fucking killing me. You had 11% chance of "tailoring" armor and suddenly succeed and got the best armor in game? Bullets and most energy weapon don't even scratch you? Diseases and poisons are nothing to you? You have wide range of weapon from claws to rocket launchers? Repair kits and devices that help you with any task too. And you die miserably... from hunger... FUCK YOU GAME!!! REVENGE!!!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 19th, 2013, 2:17 pm

pseudonymous wrote:I'm playing Cleanup After the Tornadoes. It's an incredibly dull grind-fest, but the ending of a comfortable heated house in near freezing weather is well worth it.
Hope you are as ok as you can be in those situations. They are pretty exhausting physically and mentally at times. But then you get someone who is just so thankful, it kind of makes up for it all. (We had major floods in my area a few years back spent a few days helping people move and clean all their flooded stuff.)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous » November 19th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Woolfe wrote:Hope you are as ok as you can be in those situations. They are pretty exhausting physically and mentally at times. But then you get someone who is just so thankful, it kind of makes up for it all. (We had major floods in my area a few years back spent a few days helping people move and clean all their flooded stuff.)
I've got a roof over my head and electricity to run the furnace, I'm just fine. It's the 10,000 people or so in southwest Michigan that won't have power back until Friday and the people in Indiana and Illinois that lost their homes that have it bad.

It makes this Humble Weekly sale a no-brainer just for the donation to the Red Cross; the good games are just a bonus.

clearer
Scholar

Post by clearer » November 20th, 2013, 4:00 am

Considering getting EU4, but at the moment I'm caught up on squashing bugs (on a non-game private project completely unrelated to inXile) and trying to stop kids from screaming my ears off.

Just finished replaying Fallout 1, 2 and tactics, EU3 took up a bit of time and had a go at wasteland (was ment to be the first real playthrough... didn't get past entering highpool). Might go back to completing some of the F:NV dlcs I haven't completed yet. Then there's "I am alive" -- need to get past the tutorial on that too..

Will prolly just get a copy of FTL and forget everything else...

jpappas3
Scholar

Post by jpappas3 » November 20th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Blackguards on steam early release... chapter one is a really fun RPg-lite tactical game, I like everything about these German dudes, they make fun games and their super friendly in the forums.

Age of Decadence was one I was really looking forward to, but after playing the demo, I am disappoint :( It looks a bit like Fallout on the surface but under the hood it's a mess. Skills don't make sense, a ton of trial and error to get through quest lines, just when it comes to what skills to increase, and combat is just silly hard, min/max your build and your items or go home. Needs more work, much much more game description in and out of game. Demo is free on steam now, forums are ugly and the devs are defensive about what they do have, which is the makings of a gem of an RPG, just not yet...

Oh and the "post apocalypse" is some might-have-been magical apocalypse, in a quasi-Roman quasi-I dunno what genre, with some magic and some machines. Odd.

EU IV is great, still a little bit buggy and everything gets rebalanced every few weeks, might have calmed down a bit, but I gave up a 30-hour game when some major numbers were tweaked in a patch that made my game unplayable the way I enjoyed playing it. Hate that. Crusader Kings II might be a better game from them, and you can play right through to EU IV and continue your game there if you have a mind to.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 20th, 2013, 6:43 pm

I haven't the patience for EU and CK but a good mate of mine loves them.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 20th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Just got a beta key for Elder Scrolls Online so I will be checking that out this weekend.

ffordesoon
Master

Post by ffordesoon » November 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Lucius wrote:Just got a beta key for Elder Scrolls Online so I will be checking that out this weekend.
Hey, cool, so did I!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

jpappas3
Scholar

Post by jpappas3 » November 21st, 2013, 10:39 pm

ffordesoon wrote:
Lucius wrote:Just got a beta key for Elder Scrolls Online so I will be checking that out this weekend.
Hey, cool, so did I!
Heh, a beta for an elder scrolls game, and you want to play it? You sir, are a braver man than I. And wait, it's a freaking MMO, lol, what happens when you crash that bad boy, does the whole internet go down, AHHAHAHAHA---

***NO CARRIER***

ffordesoon
Master

Post by ffordesoon » November 22nd, 2013, 8:36 am

Super Mario 3D World, which is already in my top ten games of the year, and might well end up being my personal GOTY. It's the sort of game that makes jaded grown-ups like me use words like "delightful" and "enchanting."
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » November 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am

I loved its predecessor, Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS. It was about flippin' time that plaform games went back to that: actual platforming in abstract, complex levels rather than trying to build "realistic" worlds and completely sacrifice mechanics in the process.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

ffordesoon
Master

Post by ffordesoon » November 22nd, 2013, 2:35 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:I loved its predecessor, Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS. It was about flippin' time that plaform games went back to that: actual platforming in abstract, complex levels rather than trying to build "realistic" worlds and completely sacrifice mechanics in the process.
If you loved Mario 3D Land, and especially if you enjoyed it more than Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2*, you need Super Mario 3D World. Like, justifies-the-purchase-of-a-Wii-U-by-itself-level need. It marries the relentless inventiveness, flawless art direction, and orchestral grandeur of the Galaxy games to the rock-solid mechanics and tutorial-free instant fun of 3D Land. It might be the best Mario game ever made, and it's certainly the best one since Super Mario World.

(I don't count SMW2: Yoshi's Island as a Mario game, because you don't control Mario in it, but that one was pretty awesome, too. And yes, SMB3 is obviously the high-water mark, but picking between it and World is like picking between Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead: both are so good that picking a winner is asking the other one to lose, and that's just wrong.)

* - Both of these things are true in my case, though funnily enough, I felt exactly the opposite way about the games as I was playing them. It was only very near the true ending of 3D Land that I realized I had gobbled up all its content without even thinking about it (er, in a good way), whereas I flamed out at around sixty stars in both Galaxy titles.

They're all great games, to be clear, but the Galaxies are too mired in the "this must be accessible to everyone, even fetuses and stroke victims" mentality of Wii-era Nintendo. Which I don't think was necessarily a bad choice for that game, despite the snark; it's a problem for me, but not at all the crippling flaw it was in the Wii-era Zelda titles. Still, it was irritating, especially since the games didn't need most of the Exposition Rabbits and Tutorial Beavers with which they were burdened. The Galaxies were expertly designed games which didn't quite trust that they were expertly designed.

tumppu
Acolyte

Post by tumppu » November 24th, 2013, 12:30 am

I have a bad habit of playing a lot of games, but far less so of actually finishing them.

Nowadays I play several MMOs with varying activity and then a bunch of single player ones.

Including, but not limited to:

WoW, World of Tanks, StarTrek Online, LotRO

and

Wasteland (duh), ES: Skyrim, Silent Storm (and Sentinels), Diablo 3, sometimes to blow off steam Sniper Elite 2. Also I acquired FTL recently. Seems to be one of those irritatingly good games in which I utterly suck but still want to play anyway :)
"It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 24th, 2013, 8:37 pm

EA better fix this whole game crash on map change in BF4. It's ruining my Weekend One of XB1.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 25th, 2013, 4:53 am

Enemy Within is excellent so far.

The game feels fresh again and even if not everything that unnerved me was "patched" or enhanced, there are many little additions that make me smile (like Medals, new Gear etc.).

P.s.: The new Aliens I've seen so far are pretty cool and fit right in.
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » November 25th, 2013, 5:32 am

The IOS adaptations of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! books are really great. They feature original art, and are really tightly designed. Inkle did a great job putting them together. Been making my commute part of the day that I actually look forward to :).
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

shaigunjoe
Explorer

Post by shaigunjoe » November 25th, 2013, 2:10 pm

ffordesoon wrote:Super Mario 3D World, which is already in my top ten games of the year, and might well end up being my personal GOTY. It's the sort of game that makes jaded grown-ups like me use words like "delightful" and "enchanting."
Really? That's good to hear, I think that is exactly how I described Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

I picked up Spacebase DF-9 and have been having some fun with that. I heard dwarf fortress in space and I was sold.

VioletShadow
Novice

Post by VioletShadow » December 4th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I've been playing Dungeon Siege 3 on co op; also Aquaria, Resonance, Dragon Age Origins and Arcanum. Unless a game really captures me, I usually just play something for a few hours then switch to something else and have all these unfinished playthroughs. Resonance is really good, been into Arcanum on and off and the rest are replays. :lol:
~One's convictions should be proportional to one's evidence~

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 4th, 2013, 11:20 pm

I've been playing Skyrim lately.

Yeah, that's right. Skyrim. Come at me, bro.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » December 4th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Path of Exile, a free to play Diablo clone :oops:
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo