What'cha Playing?

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

macksting
Explorer
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for 3rz1is.png

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by macksting »

I forget, does Exalted care about feet vs. meters?
GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex »

I doubt it. It's pretty loose on numbers if I recall.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

Heh sounds good. But no I haven't played a proper RPG for... ooooh 10+ years.

That's why I am looking for a new system.

I am likely to go Pathfinder, it just annoys me that in this day and age people are so blinkered about stuff like that.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin »

Natural selection 2 (RTS & FPS game) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w27fk0_-C4g
Why? Unique and interesting gameplay & FUN ofcourse. Tons of fun! The gameplay as one of the player is similar to alien vs predator multiplayer.

Wargame Air Land Battle (RTS game with cold war units, kinda unique game )
Why? Unique and interesting gameplay
Probably one of the only RTS games with recent military units. & Probably the only game developping company that gives so many free dlcs with their games :o . They bought my loyalty, that s for sure.

Unlike SEGA, that lost my loyalty due to the opposite dlc policy. Here s your game, oops we forgot to put in 3 units and they re so much better than the other units ... We ll just make them available for you for $10 a unit, that seems fair ... 3 months later ... another 5 dlcs for $10 ... 2 months later ... an overpriced mini expansion for $30 ... 1,5 year later ... you can buy everything together for $5 (A new Total war/... game has been released despite the old one still being full with bugs). I would call it the middle finger customer loyalty policy.

Xcom Enemy Within Probably the best Turn based combat game that exists, good fun multiplayer too

Also feel sorry to admit this: Company of heroes 2 But in my defence: that was before SEGA bought it, I pre-ordered it to help Company of heroes survive (THQ went bankrupt)
Last edited by Munin on December 27th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--------------------------------------------

"Yolanda!, its cool baby, its cool! Just point the gun at me!"
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Wargame: Airland Battle looks pretty interesting. A Linux release, too. Thanks for the plug.
Edit: Can't find a price for the life of me.
Addendum: Nope, can't buy it. $40 is a bit too dear for me when I still don't have the hardware for Wasteland 2.
Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin »

macksting wrote:Wargame: Airland Battle looks pretty interesting. A Linux release, too. Thanks for the plug.
Edit: Can't find a price for the life of me.
Addendum: Nope, can't buy it. $40 is a bit too dear for me when I still don't have the hardware for Wasteland 2.
If you re buying Wargame I would advice to wait for the new game sequel "Wargame: Red Dragon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENB6owexYsY

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

I have been tempted by Wargame Air Land battles a few times.

How is it in Multiplay. We have been looking for a good non shooter game to play at LANs, that isn't a long slog like Civ or Endless Space.
Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin »

Woolfe wrote:I have been tempted by Wargame Air Land battles a few times.

How is it in Multiplay. We have been looking for a good non shooter game to play at LANs, that isn't a long slog like Civ or Endless Space.
Wargame Air Land battle s multiplayer isn't perfect, I ll explain why (it s quite an ammount of text, so brace yourself).

If you want my short opinion: I would advice against it, unless you want to help support the game. & Would advice you to wait for the Sequel, where they hopefully will polish the diamond in the rough that this game is. You want to play an original RTS game, that is pretty much the only one with modern military units? Well then I would advice you this game.

Despite some issues with the game, it is tons of fun. It will remind you of the time you were like 5 and playing with your soldiers in the sand. But now you can do it as an adult in an adult kind of way :P

& I ll have to be honest with you there, to explain this I have to go back to its predecessor:
- Its predecessor Wargame European Escalation (or WEE)
had a decent kind of multiplayer & allowed lots of creativity in your builds, its game mechanics were also weird in the sense that you gained points by killing units. It was also a very polished game.

Ways to win WEE:

1) Normal game Certain units had certain ammount of points. For example: an Abrams tank & an Apache chopper were 2 of the most expensive units. Killing those would gain you more points. So in order for you to win you d have to be effective in taking out enemy units, but even more important: cost efficient. For example: there is a game mode with 2000 victory points, an Abrahams tank costs 135 points.

2) Say Cheese! This is the other aspect of Wargame EE, it allows you to capture points on the map and those points give you income. Every team has command vehicles (some are choppers, others just jeeps and other have armour), the thing is though: If all your command vehicles are killed you lose the game (a command vehicle costs 100 points or more). One of the ways I used to do it when I started playing this WEE is go hunting for them with cheap chopper units (gazelle choppers), there are several other ways to hunt CVs: this is what you will notice playing more experienced players (arty cv vehicles, stealth bomb them, special forces hunt them, ...).

Then they released Wargame Air Land Battle (Diamond in the rough):

The whole deck system was changed and put on its head. I really admire the devs for trying and doing such radical changes, but it had its influence on the game too. Basically they took Wargame European Escalation game mechanic system and turned it on its head.

Making your deck: The deck system is basically your army, you pick the cards you want out of a big deck system and create your own card deck army. You have a certain amount of points and with those points you can buy unit cards to create your deck (for example in WEE you had 35 points & that Abrams card costs you about 1 point)

The deck system of WEE was different in the sense that you picked the Abrahams tank card & you had all the versions of the abrahams tank with that card Abrams M1 (8 units), Abrams M11P(4 units), Abrams M1A1 (4 units). In total you had 16 tanks for 1 point.

In ALB you have lesser quantity of the expensive units, as you can't buy a 3 heavy tank pack in 1 card no more. You can buy the Abrams tank card, but only seperatly: Abrams M1A1 (4 units) & it is no longer just 1/25 points. As now you have a different deck creation system, for tanks: it is (1) (1) (1) (2) (2) (3) (3) . So if you pick the 3 Abrams from WEE you now have to pay 3 points for them (as each is now a seperate card).

Heavy Armour: Has also changed, basically now Heavy armour has penetration (Armour Piercing or AP) values & the longest tank shot ranges. Low tanks can't penetrate the heavy armour front armour (of value 12 or side armour) they can however Pierce the back armour (of only value 3), neither can some missiles as it depends on their AP value. This had a drastic effect on the game.

Jet fighters: This is why it is called Air land battle. You fight for air superiority and then use the space in the air you create to do more agressive attacks. Jets fights are a lot of fun, although not perfect it is fun as they look so cool & give an awesome feel to play with some of them: basically because I like jets & you can do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naIWWNxF1DQ (Both F 15 Eagle of the skies & Su 27 Flanker are in the game). At first I watched in enjoyment when they were released on the game and as I expected the choppers where plucked out of the skies like sitting ducks :mrgreen: , I made a thread about it "RIP choppers" as my farewell to the choppers. But then they kinda tried to overcorrect it, instead of giving the choppers some sort of escape or hide option option they made choppers much stronger as a balance feature, but imo this just feels wrong to have a chopper being able to stand up to Jets. Jets also changed the game in another game, the game pace can be much faster: being such a fast attack force a group of 2 A10s rape a whole tank army in a couple of minutes. Of course you d have to counter this with air fighters & AA ground units of your own. But then their is another tricky part: Anti Radar planes (basically it means that Anti radar planes take out Radar based AA ground units, solution => don't take Radar based ground AA or only the very long range)

National vs Multination decks: After being a strong supporter for years to get National decks more loving, they finally caved in. This is for me the more fun play, as it gives more flavour. The only problem is that it isn't always the viable option for more competitive play. RPG players might recognize this: "an option that isn't a viable option is not an option at all!"

THE Change of the game This is where they changed the game mode into a new one, as a result of the previous game mode & several changes mentioned above. It turned out many games were much more defensive. Because there was no point in taking ground, as the game mechanics didn't specially reward it. This is where Conquest mode came in, basically to win you need to take conquest points with your CVs (basically the same capture points as in previous game mode)

So basically: If you want to play a cold war RTS tons of real NATO and pact units in the game, then you have to buy this game: as there is no other game that gives you this experience. If you re however looking for a very competitive multiplayer game then I have to dissapoint you, I would advice you Company of Heroes 2 or Starcraft II instead.

Also for newer ALB players I would suggest this channel or some better Youtube channel to improve your game knowledge http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5KAAWEkBDdXTeKe_mLT7sw
Last edited by Munin on December 28th, 2013, 4:47 am, edited 9 times in total.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

It was on special for $12 so I bought it anyway :D

Thanks for the run down though.. I'll give it a play and see if the guys want to try it out anyway.
Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin »

You re welcome, apologies for the wall of text though & for calling the abrams tank the Abrahams tank (I must have been thinking it s called after Abraham lincoln. I tried to edit out that mistake) :mrgreen:

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist »

I just picked up Wizardry 8 on GOG for $5. Possibly the best $5 I spent in 2013.

I had played and beaten 7 in my youth (somewhere my party from that game exists on a long lost 3.5" disk, waiting to be imported into 8...)

Anyway, I hadn't touched 8. Absolutely loving it. Great challenge level, and a really fun and deep party character creation system. Its nice to have a game to tide me over while I wait for the WL2 beta to come out on Mac/Linux :).
Last edited by TheHarpoMarxist on December 30th, 2013, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq »

Heck yes. That game, despite all its flaws, was just great.
I've never finished it. Lost my savefiles, and starting with a new party just didn't feel right. I'm silly sentimental like that... >_<
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

I think the best $5 I spent this year was actually on the album Louder Than Bombs.
That said, I'm about to start on I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. I tried before, hit a point where my character was expected in surgery (VERY early in the game) and panicked and closed out the game.
Holy shit. It was only dialogue up to that, and that was intense.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

I've been playing miami hotline and deadlight, which I picked up cheap.

Both have pretty simplistic gameplay, but the story is dragging me along kicking and screaming :D

Miami hotline, is delightfully frustrating, and Deadlight considering it is essentially a 2d platformer looks gorgeous, and is quite engaging.
ffordesoon
Master

Post by ffordesoon »

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Once you get out of Tutorialville, grab EE Keeper, and jack the walking speed up to 7, it's a lovely little game.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was not a bad enough dude for Core Rules dificulty. Shit, I may not be a bad enough dude for Normal, if my last couple of encounters are any indication. AD&D with a Level 1 party is just the pits survivability-wise. Pathfinder has the same problem, albeit not nearly as severe.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks, or can they link to some?

EDIT: Oh, and Hotline Miami is one of my favorite Lightspeed Murder Chess games of recent times. It's a rhythm game in the same way that Kill Bill is a musical. When you string together a perfect run, you feel like an Olympic-level skater that just got a ten from the French judge. But, you know, soaked in pixelated blood and PCP-laced cocaine. It's beautiful. :lol:
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.
TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

I always found that ranged weapons will go a looooong way towards survivability in BG. They're massively overpowered (though before you roll up a Ranger with an Archer kit, be advised that they're a little underpowered in the sequel. Still fun, but underpowered.)

Fighters have it super easy through most of BG, but they're outclassed severely in BG2. I think the best route to go, for an initial run, is a Fighter/Mage multi-class. Your going to struggle a bit early on (though not nearly as much as a thief or mage), but by mid to late game you should be hitting a nice stride. Focus your magic on buffs. Haste, Blur, Mirror Image, etc. are going to be your best friends. Summon spells and crowd control (like Horror and Sleep) are actually more useful than the straight up damage spells. Swords are superior to all other melee weapons.

Getting over the early level hump won't take long in BG. The cap puts most characters at level 7 or 8 by the end of the game, if memory serves. Enjoy it!
Last edited by TheHarpoMarxist on December 31st, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous »

ffordesoon wrote:Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
You know for the amount of money you spent on that you could have bought both games from gog, modded them to your hearts content, and even played them on ios or android.
TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Modding is all well and good, but it requires a little time, research and effort. I know lots of people don't like EE on principle (that mods are superior and free), but if I was revisiting that game I'd be pretty open to just getting something I could quickly install on PC or Mac and dive right into. Its frequently on sale now the BG2:EE is out, and even so the price point isn't crazy. Even at the normal $20 price, for a game that will give you hours of enjoyment that isn't too bad.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
ffordesoon
Master

Post by ffordesoon »

I have both games on GOG, and I have no problem with modding.

I wanted the new characters. I'm an easy sell, what can I say?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.
pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous »

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:a game that will give you hours of enjoyment
Do you mean hours of frustration? Because I could agree with that.

The terrible path finding coupled with the incredibly narrow hallways which resulted in your party walking through traps and setting off ambushing mobs without your consent made those games horrible and that is something the EEs don't address. Otherwise I would be willing to look past the gerbiling barbarian and the cheesy romances to enjoy a solid AD&D game again; the technical limitations of the engine just make the games mediocre at best.
ffordesoon wrote:I wanted the new characters. I'm an easy sell, what can I say?
meh

Return to “General Discussion”