What'cha Playing?

For general discussion of inXile and our games.
ffordesoon
Master

RTFM, and save a lot. No, I mean a lot. As with its sequel, the worst hour of Fallout 1 is its opening hour.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.
Kide
Scholar

Had to check what RTFM actually even means. But I have not really read the manual, and I think I can be fine with learning how it all works. Have stilled played similar games, even if not fallout 1. I save from time to time, though I prefer to load only if it seems necessary.

But I am sure that the opening hour indeed was the worst so to speak. Have played a little bit of it thus far, and have traveled a bit forward.
macksting
Explorer
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for 3rz1is.png

My favorite part of the manual is where it goes into the relative merits of differing nuclear yields. I am quite serious, that part is an excellent read.
snakeoil
Adventurer

i just returned to bad company 2 on ps3 and hands down its the worlds best fps ever made! its like some kind of sick drug once i get deployed, running around, i am having incredible fun. there are so many ways to play... i guess its the best rpg shooter considering the choices and impact you have depending on how you play your role. the sound is still unbeaten and the destruction... to me it is indeed the most intelligent, challanging, rewarding and fun game ever made. i dont understand how people possibly play BF3 or BF4 if you can play BC2... shame on dice/ea for getting off the golden path.
ArseFace
Novice

GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Contrast
Katamari Damacy
Simcity 4
MrMoe
Explorer

Way to many and havent finished one because I started playing the another one :(

Jagged Alliance 2, halting for month at the border to Meduna
Deus Ex: HR DC(have to finish it, just once)
Skyrim, got boring again at lvl 30+
XCOM Addon, (soon to be done)
And I have Rome2 lying around, since it was released :D
And I wanted to test some Mount and Blade Mod (1200 AD)
macksting
Explorer

Anyone else here playing Pathfinder?
Wile
Adventurer
badge image for ijw2ib.png

Currently playing Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on my 3DS. Really reminds me of the good old A Link to the Past on SNES. Too bad I got rid of my copy back in the day, it really sells for good amount of money these days.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

macksting wrote:Anyone else here playing Pathfinder?
The RPG?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
macksting
Explorer

Indeed. It occurred to me pen and paper games were underrepresented in this thread; thought perhaps people didn't think to consider mentioning it.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

macksting wrote:Indeed. It occurred to me pen and paper games were underrepresented in this thread; thought perhaps people didn't think to consider mentioning it.
Heh.. I have been building a high fantasy campaign, and was looking for an appropriate gaming system(It's been 15-20 years since I last ran one). I had settled on Pathfinder, but I thought I would ask them if they had a Metric edition, because you know it's 2013, electronic publishing has improved somewhat and theoretically it should be a simple matter to have 2 systems that are the same but use different measurements.

I asked directly and Paizo customer support sent me to the messageboards. Which I knew was going to end well. But I asked anyway. The level of vitriol that I received for even daring to suggest such a horrendous thing was insane.

So now I am still building my campaign, but haven't yet picked a base system to run it in.
macksting
Explorer

I take it you got something along the lines of YouTube comments in reply. As I understand it, your concern is the use of feet vs. meters? Not judging, just asking.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

macksting wrote:I take it you got something along the lines of YouTube comments in reply. As I understand it, your concern is the use of feet vs. meters? Not judging, just asking.
Not quite at the Youtube level, but certainly way more aggressive than necessary.

Yeah essentially I know and understand metric. Feet, Yards and Miles are abstract to me and not easily divisible. There is nothing wrong with that per se, it is just that I have grown up using metric, so having to work out odd measurements is annoying. I have to think about something that should just be automatic.

So I thought to myself, surely a company that is forward thinking enough to create virtual versions of their books so that people don't have to buy the paper based ones, would also be forward thinking enough to create a metric and imperial system.

Apparently not(unless you are German). I know they use US english as their basis to avoid any "language" confusions. But Measurements are not language.

Anyway, it left a bad taste in my mouth, so I have gone off it at the moment. I will probably go back to the Pathfinder system, if some other system doesn't pop up tho.
macksting
Explorer

I wonder if you could just substitute meters for 5' squares, and shorten everything accordingly. The game balance would be the same.
Of course, it would still require more thought than is strictly necessary.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

macksting wrote:I wonder if you could just substitute meters for 5' squares, and shorten everything accordingly. The game balance would be the same.
Of course, it would still require more thought than is strictly necessary.
There has actually been a fair bit of work around substitution. The D20 stuff has a huge section on the best translations etc.

The figures they have used are mostly divisible numbers. So movement is always 5 foot or multiples of etc. So yeah it wouldn't be hard to just change it. You can't do a direct convert however, as anywhere they use inches or Yards or Miles are completely out of whack as they are odd multiples. *shrug* I still have a bit of work to do anyway, so I may yet revisit pathfinder. I was going to just steal their pantheon of gods and some other elements for my world, I may now dump that and actually build the gods appropriate for my world...
macksting
Explorer

Using yards is just cruel in this case, no doubt. Miles... Just as 1 meter is by no means 5 feet, would it significantly alter game balance to make a mile 1 or 2 km?
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

The maths is out then.

Travel distance etc. Not a major issue and certainly workable, just annoying. Other than the measurement issue, the system looked pretty good.
macksting
Explorer

Ah, and you want it right, not just playable. That would be a bit of a problem.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

macksting wrote:Ah, and you want it right, not just playable. That would be a bit of a problem.
:D Yeah.. have a couple of people in my gaming group who can be a bit picky at times... I prefer not to give them too much ammunition :roll: :lol:
GodComplex
Master

Woolfe wrote:
macksting wrote:Ah, and you want it right, not just playable. That would be a bit of a problem.
:D Yeah.. have a couple of people in my gaming group who can be a bit picky at times... I prefer not to give them too much ammunition :roll: :lol:
Have you looked at Exalted? You play as overpowered demi-gods with epic weapons and entourages, at the start, and you get XP for excessively detailed John Woo action movie attack combos. It's just wonderful.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

Return to “General Discussion”