Sunless Skies by Failbetter Games

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Sunless Skies by Failbetter Games

Post by SagaDC » February 1st, 2017, 7:12 pm

Although it's not the usual sort of game that I play, I actually rather enjoyed "Sunless Seas" back in 2015. It was a unique mixture of abstract storytelling, trading sim, and exploration with a bit of simple combat and semi-procedural map generation.

Now Failbetter Games has started up a Kickstarter for the sequel, "Sunless Skies". Similar in many ways to the original title, Sunless Skies is a two-dimensional top-down game focused primarily on abstract storytelling and exploration. Where the first game took place in the subterranean oceans around Fallen London, the sequel takes to the stars, where interstellar travel has been reimagined with a Victorian twist.

The game has already been successfully funded, but they're currently working on some (as of yet unrevealed) stretch goals. You can check out the Kickstarter campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... n=6b168ca5

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Sunless Skies by Failbetter Games

Post by Drool » February 1st, 2017, 11:08 pm

Bummed that I missed Seas, so I happily backed Skies.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 1st, 2017, 11:24 pm

Really hope they add a paypal backing possibility.
I loved Sunless Sea and Zubmariner.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 2nd, 2017, 7:48 am

thanks again for being vigilant SagaDC its always great to know whats coming up

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 2nd, 2017, 9:19 am

ahhh and they won't add a paypal backing possibility. :(
Thats a bummer.
Really would have liked to back it.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » February 2nd, 2017, 4:06 pm

Failbetter revealed the first three stretch goals for Sunless Skies today, and two of them were immediately unlocked.

The first stretch goal adds three new origins to choose for your captain, each with their own effects on your starting attributes and some of the story elements that unfold around your character. These three new origins include a "Zee Captain", a "Revolutionary", and an "Auditor of the Ministry of Public Decency".

The second stretch goal adds the wrecks of three legendary locomotives to discover as unique locations, each with their own storied past and mysteries to uncover.

The third stretch goal, set at £200,000, will introduce mechanics for smuggling and contraband goods.

EDIT (02/03/17) - The third stretch goal has just been reached. No word on what the next stretch goal might be.

EDIT (02/07/17) - A fourth and fifth stretch goal have been added. At £220,000, a new locomotive chassis known as "The Moloch" will be added to the game. At £270,000, a new officer known as "Your Inconvenient Aunt" will be added to the game, complete with her own new questline.

EDIT (02/07/17) - The fourth stretch goal has been achieved. The Moloch will now be in the game.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » February 20th, 2017, 8:49 am

The Sunless Skies campaign is slowly crawling along, and it just passed the £270,000 mark with eleven days left on the clock. That means that another Stretch Goal has been unlocked, this time adding "Your Inconvenient Aunt" as a new recruitable crew member. The next Stretch Goal has been set at £300,000. At that amount, a new threat known as "The Guests" will be added to the game.

In addition, an increasingly complex series of social media goals have been steadily introduced over the past couple of weeks. Most recently, this has unlocked a public "Sunless Skies avatar generator", which you can use to create a nifty little profile silhouette of your captain. You can save the results and post show it off to friends, or import it into Sunless Skies if you want to design your captain's appearance (one year) in advance.

A number of other Social Media goals have been met over the pat couple of weeks, most of them unlocking bonus content in the "Fallen London" sister game. That's worth checking out if you happen to play Fallen London.

You can see Update #10 in full over here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... ts/1811678

EDIT (02/27) - The £300,000 stretch goal has been unlocked, adding the mysterious "Guests" to the game. The developers have stated that they want to have one more stretch goal, but with only four days left on the clock they're going to need to reveal it soon.

EDIT (02/28) - The final stretch goal has been added, with just three days left on the clock. At £330,000 a new Ambition will be added to the game. Much like in Sunless Seas, Ambitions are essentially the victory conditions for the game. This stretch goal involves adding a new optional victory condition involving the mystery of "The Martyr-King's Cup".

The social goals are also unlocking left and right. The final goal involves bringing the horror of Blemmigans into Sunless Skies, where they will cheerfully infest your trains and eat all of your cargo.

You can see Update #12 over here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... ts/1818728

EDIT (03/02) - The final stretch goal has been unlocked. With less than a day left on the clock, Sunless Skies is currently sitting at £350,000. Not too shabby, considering their original goal was £100,000.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 3rd, 2017, 8:38 am

Failbetter games is running an "extra-long podcast" to celebrate the successful crowdfunding campaign for Sunless Skies. They're inviting people to ask them about the upcoming project, so anyone interested in that might want to swing by and check it out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... ts/1821898

There's technically still two hours left before the campaign ends, but given that they're currently sitting at £372,000 (of a £100,000 goal) it's beyond successful already. All of the stretch goals have been successfully unlocked, and I believe all of the social goals have also been unlocked.

The game is tenuously slated to release in March of 2018, so roughly one year from now. With all of the Stretch Goals and Social Goals unlocked, the core game will be expanded with additional content including: three new character origins (complete with associated special effects and story events), three legendary locomotive wrecks to discover, smuggling mechanics (and associated quests), "The Moloch" (a unique vehicle to unlock), "Your Inconvenient Aunt" (a new recruitable quartermaster), "The Guests" (a new enemy faction), a new Ambition (end-game goal with associated quests), and Blemmigans!

In the case of the Blemmigans social reward, it will take the form of three unique mascot characters - one for each of the three Sunless games. Everyone will receive a Blemmigan Gallivanter mascot for Sunless Sea, a Blemmigan Tourist companion for Fallen London, and a Blemmigan Voyager mascot for Sunless Skies.

Also, just as a quick reminder, there is exclusive content for backing the Kickstarter campaign (if you care about that sort of thing). Backing the game at any tier (£15 and up) will net you the "Cycloptic Owl", which is a unique scout. Backing the game at £50 or higher will also net you the "Obviously Delicious Rabbit", a unique mascot.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 3rd, 2017, 10:55 pm

SagaDC wrote:Backing the game at any tier (£15 and up) will net you the "Cycloptic Owl", which is a unique scout.
For those that worry about this sort of thing, this is a cosmetic change only. No mechanical difference.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 4th, 2017, 3:45 am

If Sunless Sea is a good example of how this studio works, the exclusive backer in-game stuff might be shared with all users at some point in the future. That the kind of thing that makes me alright with exclusive in-game extras, while I usually don’t support such exclusives.

I wish we could see the same with Wasteland 2 at some point… (maybe for Wasteland 3 release?)

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » March 4th, 2017, 5:09 am

hmm?
The Wasteland 2 (exclusive) was that skill, that everyone who could use google have from the start.

As for Sunless Sea it took 2 years that all could get the hands on exclusive Ingame quests.
I don't have a problem with exclusive stuff, IF i'm able to get the opportunity to get those things too, but for Sunless Skies
there was (and is) no way to back via paypal so i'm out of it.
And that is something i don't like.
Eventhough the things for sunless skies are this time "just" cosmetic things and not that important (or lets say gameplayie or something like that)
it bothers me that i can't get all of the stuff, just because they don't provide a possibility to back via paypal.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 4th, 2017, 7:10 am

Personally, I ended up backing at a tier that granted me the cycloptic owl, but not the obviously delicious rabbit. I'd have loved to get the rabbit mascot, especially since it sounds very reminiscent of the "Comatose Ferret" mascot from the original game, but I've already exhausted my "crowdfunding budget" with some other Fig and Kickstarter campaigns.

It does annoy me a little that I'll never be able to get the obviously delicious rabbit going forward (at least not legitimately), but I won't stop that from letting me enjoy the game. Honestly, even if I did end up getting it, I'd probably constantly be asking myself if it had really been worth the extra £35 (the answer is "probably not").

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » March 4th, 2017, 7:38 am

Yeah, but that is a choice you had.
I, for i own no Credit Card, have no choice in backing at all.
At least this time there are no great "losses" like quests and big ingame stuff like there was in Sunless Sea, but still it is a little annoying that i don't get a chance to back it.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 4th, 2017, 7:42 am

Godfather101 wrote:The Wasteland 2 (exclusive) was that skill, that everyone who could use google have from the start.
I prefer to get my stuff in legit ways, it doesn’t matter that the system is easy to cheat ;)

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » March 4th, 2017, 7:52 am

Yeah, of course, but it should at least be possible to get the stuff the legit way (although i do not know if using the code in Wassteland 2 without backing is really considered as "illegal").
If it isn't it just sucks. ;)

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 15th, 2017, 10:31 am

Update #17 has just been released, and it focuses on a general overview of the world design and gameplay. There are a few minor spoilers, such as some very basic details about one of the first ports you'll encounter.

There's also some pretty interesting focus on the art design for the space-faring locomotive you'll be piloting, especially the way it's appearance will change based on your current equipment loadout. It looks very promising.

The development for Sunless Skies apparently works in two week "sprints", where they focus on specific areas and aspects of gameplay. This particular sprint has been dubbed "Aphelion". The next sprint, "Big Bang", will focus on combat mechanics. We'll be hearing more about Big Bang in April.

You can check out the update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... ts/1832341

In addition, there will be a live podcast on Twitch this Friday (March 17th, 16:00 GMT). Tune in if you want to see the Failbetter team talking about development during the Aphelion sprint. The livestream will be available on their official Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/failbettergames
Godfather101 wrote:Yeah, but that is a choice you had.
I, for i own no Credit Card, have no choice in backing at all.
At least this time there are no great "losses" like quests and big ingame stuff like there was in Sunless Sea, but still it is a little annoying that i don't get a chance to back it.
Aah, fair enough. I didn't realize that they weren't accepting pledges through services like PayPal. That's definitely unfortunate.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that they decided to include KS-exclusive items at all, since those often have at least a little lashback. A lot of other developers have learned to lean away from that sort of thing.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » March 15th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Yeah, there are some interesting Kickstarter/crowdfunding Projects which does not let people without a credit card back.
And if you're then loosing out on stuff that is really really sad.

I don't mind Exklusive things (although it shouldn't be TO big stuff, like long quests/npcs/companions etc), but atleast it should be provided that everybody could get that if you're willing to back.
Otherwise, when you know about the things, or just play the game and get to points were you could not progress any further (like that one quest in Sunless Sea, atleast now it is possible to do this, as they asked their backes if it is okay to let everybody play the extra quests which were in the game 2 years as Kickstarter exklusives), it just sucks, because you know that you could have gotten those things but weren't allowed due to backing/paying limitations.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am

The folks at Failbetter have posted a Development Roadmap, to make it easier to keep track of how things are progressing.

You can check it out here: http://www.failbettergames.com/sunlessskiesroadmap/

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 1st, 2017, 9:41 am

It looks like Sunless Skies will be hitting Early Access on Steam on August 30th. It will cost $24.99 / £18.99, and will start off with roughly one-quarter of the world available for exploration (in a very incomplete state).

Early Access wasn't offered at any pledge tier during the crowdfunding campaign, but people who backed the Kickstarter are being offered a 10% discount off of the normal purchase price if they'd like to play the game early. I'm assuming that will basically mean you'll end up with multiple game keys - the ones you got with whatever pledge level you backed, and the new one you'd be purchasing through Steam.

The game's full release is planned for May of next year, about eight months after Early Access begins.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fa ... ts/1951949

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » August 2nd, 2017, 4:29 am

Yeah.
Also Sunless Skies will get to GoG to their "GOG Games in Development"(which is basically GoG's Early Access program)-thingie.
Lets see how it grows and what the game looks and feels like next year in May.