Julian Gollop's "Phoenix Point"

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Julian Gollop's "Phoenix Point"

Post by Woolfe »

Excellent, I did notice it stated 4 or more, but that suggests to me that 4 is a hard point, because why say 4. I mean if you only have 1 soldier, then you will be sending only 1 so it shouldn't be a minimum....

Is there a forum for this game? I could only find the fig and marketing site.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Woolfe wrote: April 26th, 2017, 9:42 pm Excellent, I did notice it stated 4 or more, but that suggests to me that 4 is a hard point, because why say 4. I mean if you only have 1 soldier, then you will be sending only 1 so it shouldn't be a minimum....
Not sure why they decided to go with a minimum. I do notice that Gollop has often stressed that soldiers are hardier in this game than they are in X-Com. If they get taken down during combat, they're apparently more likely to suffer insanity or permanent wounds as a result, rather than dying outright.

Perhaps the assumption is that having less than four soldiers is an "end-game" scenario.

Of course, then again, the game is taking a lot of inspiration from Lovecraft, and insanity is a confirmed mechanic. Perhaps the soldiers just refuse to go out in groups of less than four. For peace of mind. :P

Woolfe wrote: April 26th, 2017, 9:42 pmIs there a forum for this game? I could only find the fig and marketing site.
Nothing official, at least not yet. There's an AMA thread over on Reddit that Julian Gollop was active on, but I think that's been pretty quiet for the past couple of weeks. Now he seems most active on the Fig comment section.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Yeah, he said something about how it's going to be more a matter of being able to afford fielding guys than having gamey limits. I'm sure it will still be relatively small scale, but everything looks pretty encouraging. I backed right away.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Update #2 just released for Phoenix Point, this time with links to some pretty interesting Youtube videos.

First, a thirty-minute long interview with Julian Gollop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmW-vqJGAQ

And second, an eight minute video about how the original X-Com was actually cancelled during development, but the developers finished it by secretly continuing to work on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw6TmyiOFiQ

Beyond that, the update also talks a bit about the exclusive "Chitin Armor" that's exclusive to Fig, including some concept art. The update also makes note that the Chitin Armor is purely cosmetic, and does not actually confer any in-game bonuses.

The update wraps up with a bit of new concept art for the "New Jericho" faction, which represents the survivors who seek to wipe out the alien presence through the use of military might.

You can check out the new update here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 56#updates

EDIT - Funding is currently at $403k, just $97k from reaching it's minimum funding goal.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Update #3 is out, and it includes some pretty notable new information about the game, some of it directly relevant to the questions that have been asked here. All this new information is gathered in the official FAQ section (https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point#faq), but particularly notable info includes:

* The Fig-exclusive armor is cosmetic, but the Fig-exclusive weapon set might not be. There are two special storylines associated with the items, which will also include a handful of unique missions. Perhaps even more notably, they are not "true exclusives", and that content will be bundled into a DLC pack which will be available to non-backers three months after the game's full release.

* In regards to Woolfe's question about the 4-man squads, the official response is: "Four is the lower limit for deploying a squad, not a starting limit. Squad Size can be as high as 16, depending on the transport available and the type of mission. A more limiting factor on squad size would be the scarcity of recruits and ongoing injuries (or mental traumas) of soldiers."

Aside from the FAQ and the new info about the Chitin armor and weapon sets, the new update also has a small amount of new information about the Synderion faction.

You can check out the new update here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 58#updates
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Funding has slowed down a bit, and is currently sitting at $449k.

But Julian Gollop has been pretty active in the comments section of the Fig Campaign, so I figured I'd highlight some of the more interesting official responses he's given to various questions. Some (but not all) of these have also been added to the official Phoenix Point FAQ on the campaign page:

Q. Can you fight the aliens on their turf?
A. "I can't reveal too much about the story or potential game endings at the moment, but this issue will be partly addressed with one of our stretch goals."

Q. Can anyone explain how will points will function in more detail?
A. "Will Points are spent to activate most actions. Physically ore mentally strenuous actions generally require more will points. A character will lose will points for serious injuries, death of a comrade or facing terrifying monsters. Will Points are recovered by resting for a turn. There are a number of other effects that can positively or negatively affect will points. Characters with leadership ability can boost will points for squad members, for example."

Q. What are the plans for troop advancement? Is it a classless system where anyone can equip any equipment they want?
A. "Generally, any character can use any equipment, but without the proper ability and training the results might be less than desired. There will be 'classes', but it will be possible for soldiers to multi-class. The classes basically reflect skill sets for certain combat roles."

Q. Any plans for voice acting?
A. "There will definitely be voice acting in the game, but we do not plan to put a lot of resources into cut scenes."

Q. Will there be free aim so I can target terrain instead of enemies?
A. "Yes."

Q. Will this game have bigger squad sizes?
A. "You will be able to deploy larger squads, but it won't be something you can do all the time. Shortage of personnel and injury are important factors." and "There are no 'artificial' limits on squad sizes."

Q. When will we get our key for Chaos Reborn?
A. "Unfortunately the campaign term has to be completed before any money is deducted. We will dispatch the Chaos Reborn keys as soon as we have access to backers."

Q. Will there be modding support?
A. "Modding support is something we are considering either as a stretch goal or a post-release update."

Q. Will there be multiplayer co-op?
A. "Co-op is unlikely to be included in the initial release."

Q. Does this game use Time Units or Action Points?
A. "It's a hybrid - you have a move and shoot action as standard, but you can use 'will points' to extend or add actions depending on abilities, plus if you spot an enemy your movement is stopped and you can react - either by moving or shooting."

Q. Is there a stealth system?
A. "Yes, stealth can be an effective strategy for sabotage and raid missions (where you steal tech)."

Sadly, it's also worth noting that the "Early Access" appears to have already been pushed back from October 2017 to Q1 2018. I guess they decided that it just wasn't realistic to aim for Q4 2017. :)
Dark_Ansem
Initiate

Post by Dark_Ansem »

This needs to be shared more. Any suggestion on how to do this?
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Dark_Ansem wrote: April 30th, 2017, 8:10 am This needs to be shared more. Any suggestion on how to do this?
Same as anything else. Hustle on Facebook, Twitter, etc.; petition your favorite Youtube and podcast personalities to feature it on their shows; comment about it on review sites.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Another day, another update.

Update #4 has just been released, and this time it showcases new concept art for weapons (including the stealth-oriented crossbow) and a new monster called the Medusa. There's also a new piece of official Phoenix Point fiction written by Jonas Kyratzes, who's a writer on the project.

You can check out the update here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 61#updates
And you can check out the story here: http://www.phoenixpoint.info/the-tomb-of-the-phoenix

There are still 38 days left for the Fig campaign, and things are still slowly chugging along. Funding is currently at $465k, just $35k from the goal. There's already some talk about stretch goals that will be announced after the initial funding is complete, one of which will be a way to "take the fight to the aliens" - which could mean attacking them in the ocean, or somehow attacking their place of origin (Another dimension? An alien planet?).
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Phoenix Point has officially reached it's first funding goal, and is currently sitting at $505k!

They have officially announced the first two stretch goals, and they're both pretty interesting.

The first, set at $650k, will add drivable vehicles that can be used in tactical battles (as opposed to the armored dropships which are only used to transport your soldiers from one place to another). According to the description, this stretch goal will allow you to "Deploy vehicles to tactical battles for carrying troops and providing heavy weapons support. They can also be used for retrieving equipment and materials in raid missions, and for safe evacuation of soldiers or civilians in danger. There will be multiple construction options and a variety of weapons turrets available."

The second, set at $850k, will add a new "Floating Phoenix Base" mechanic. According to the description, this is "A floating fortress which can travel by sea and conduct air operations inland from coastal areas. Such bases will be exposed to danger from seaborn mutants generating some tense defensive missions, but the additional strategic flexibility of such a base will greatly help in mid to late game. It will also allow the player to discover some of the most well hidden secrets of the alien agenda, deep inside the mist."

There are still thirty-six more days left before the campaign ends, so we have plenty of time to reach those goals. :)
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Three more updates released while I wasn't paying attention.

Update #6 shows off a new story, as well as three new GIFs showing off some of the gauss weapons that will be in the game. https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 64#updates

Update #7 shows off another new story, some of the artists working on the project, a new monster concept, and a more in-depth description of the "Create an NPC" reward. https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 65#updates

Update #8 shows off yet another new story, links to a few articles about real-world news stories that they drew on for inspiration, a piece of concept art for one of the possible vehicles that will come with the first stretch goal, and a couple of new entries to the official FAQ (about shooting mechanics and the research system, respectively). https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 66#updates

I've also been poking around a bit on Youtube. A lot of the videos are kind of disappointing, since they're either outdated or just regurgitate the same info that you can read on the Fig Campaign page - but I did earmark a couple of ones that I thought were pretty interesting.

This one's a thirty-six minute interview with Julian Gollop, which includes some pretty interesting new info I haven't heard anywhere else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmW-vqJGAQ

And this one's a fifteen minute video from a guy who talks about a bunch of the concept art they've put out. A lot of it's old info, but some of the pieces were new to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caqjOGSN3hU
Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo »

It feels much like Firaxis recent X-COM. But expanding in pretty much every aspect and offering a fascinating new theme and few concepts on top. However, I am not sure that they would be able to deliver it with amount of funding they have.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Remo wrote: May 6th, 2017, 10:21 amIt feels much like Firaxis recent X-COM. But expanding in pretty much every aspect and offering a fascinating new theme and few concepts on top.
On Reddit, I think Julian Gollop also stated that their current plants were to aim for the visual quality of the Firaxis XCOM games, but that they weren't planning on doing any significant cut scenes or voice acting to cut down on the costs.

I recently saw some articles claiming that Jake Solomon, the lead developer for the Firaxis XCOM reboot, actually just invested in Phoenix Point.
Remo wrote: May 6th, 2017, 10:21 amHowever, I am not sure that they would be able to deliver it with amount of funding they have.
They discussed the funding in an interview somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. If I recall correctly, they stated that they started development with their own money, which was at least a couple hundred-thousand dollars. The current crowdfunding campaign is intended to help them expand on that.

They also mentioned that Snapshot games is based out of Belgium, where development costs are about a third of what they would be in the States.
Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo »

I love Firaxis take on Xcom, if only for how much it reinvigorated the genre. But I am not going to be bothered by lack of cut scenes and voice over, nor expect them to meet Firaxis visual quality and polish at every turn. Don't get me wrong its always nice to have good visual but its the strategic map, factions and creature concept that draws me to Phoenix Point.

Still lack of funding, might mean cut into verity (e.g. missions types, areas, creatures) likely no modding, etc this is what I am afraid off. And a little bit disappoint about missed opportunities given your previous post about unmet stretch goals.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Remo wrote: May 6th, 2017, 11:27 amStill lack of funding, might mean cut into verity (e.g. missions types, areas, creatures) likely no modding, etc this is what I am afraid off.
Could be. Right now Julian Gollop is saying that they're aiming for a decent amount of mission variety, but the game's still in Alpha.

I know he's said that there aren't currently any plans to implement modding. He mentioned that they might add it later if they find funding for it, possibly as a stretch goal or post-release content.
Remo wrote: May 6th, 2017, 11:27 amAnd a little bit disappoint about missed opportunities given your previous post about unmet stretch goals.
Well, the campaign is still ongoing. They still have a month to reach those stretch goals. :)
Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo »

I didn't realized the campaign is still going on. Hope fully they succeed, since we need more mid-size developers trying to push past the mainstream titles. (xcom2 was nice however, rather it was also bland, liner and too short for my taste, even mods like the long-war which greatly improved the base game it was still an ill fitting patch work) So i'd drop a word about the campaign around and best of luck.
SagaDC wrote: May 6th, 2017, 1:56 pm I know he's said that there aren't currently any plans to implement modding. He mentioned that they might add it later if they find funding for it, possibly as a stretch goal or post-release content.
I understand why many mid-size developers are cautious about adding modding support, but to me it is often the most important factor in the games longevity beyond their original release (particularly for strategy/tactical and management games). Hopefully they will added, but I won't hold my breath for it.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Two more updates available on the Fig Campaign page:

Update #9 includes another new story by Allen Stroud, a new interview with RPGCodex, and three pieces of concept art showing off some different fire-based weapons.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 70#updates

Update #10 shows off another story by Allen Stroud, and some concept art of an "Alien Sniper".

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-po ... 71#updates

The Fig campaign is currently a little over $588k, and needs another $62k to reach the first stretch goal.

EDIT - It's also worth noting that in the new interview with RPGCodex, Julian Gollop mentioned two notable new bits of info:

First, while there's no "artificial" cap on squad size, the player will be encouraged to keep their squad sizes smaller through the use of Experience Point bonuses. Smaller squads will gain more experience during missions.

Second, the Geoscape layer will be turn-based. They're still prototyping builds for it, but the current plan is to have each Geoscape Turn take one in-game "week", during which time the player will be able to take a specific amount of actions such as visiting scavenging sites or embarking on missions.
Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo »

Btw, just noticed the FAQ entry saying that there is no pod system. Good riddance! it is a nice idea on paper but didn't work well in practice in games like XCom2 LongWar, where pod activation became THE game and with few exception was the only way to avoid an orgy of violence and death.
Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 »

Any news on paypal support?
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

Everything they've shown so far looks great, looking forward to playing this.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Return to “General Discussion”