Your Top 10 Games

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

vv221
Adventurer

Re: Your Top 10 Games

Post by vv221 »

macksting wrote:When considering the original game's final conundrum, bear in mind, given the power you'd been granted, how had you used it?
Talking about Bastion here? I honestly can’t remember clearly my final choices in this one.
I think I forgived the traitor, dragging him on my back under an heavy hostile fire… And as for the final question the games asks, as far as I can remember it was just a fancy way to ask you if you wanted to start the "new game +" mode now or later ;)
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

I was actually talking about the original Deus Ex still. I can't speak from a position of knowledge regarding any of the sequels. My point is I'd been given a massive suite of impressive tools, and... rather abused them.
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

Woops, got mixed up here :mrgreen:
About Deus Ex, while I can play the first level in a dozen different ways without even opening my eyes I seldom had the occasion to play it further than that, so I’ve yet to discover what happens in the later stages of the game. And I actually couldn’t care less about the sequels…

But I now approach my games in a different way that allows me to play them through completion, so I guess I’ll see the end of Deus Ex before long.
Right now I’m on Planescape: Torment (yep, never finished this one either) and plan to play Anachronox afterwards. It seems Deus Ex might be a good game to follow Anachronox, being from the same devs and in a very similar graphic style.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Somehow it seems, every time I'm about to finish Planescape: Torment, I have to nuke and pave my computer. The latest problem is smaller: can't get any very specific blood. No dialogue options.
SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF »

1) Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
2) Fallout 2
3) Fallout 1
4) Gothic 2: Night of the Raven
5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6) Unreal Tournament 3
7) Deus Ex
8) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
9) Command & Conquer: Red Alert
10) Civilization IV

The only game on that list I haven't played (reasonably) recently is Baldur's Gate 2. Actually I haven't played it since ToB was released. So it's mostly some sort of vestigial memory that keeps it ranked highly. I'll have to replay it some day to see if it holds up but it's just so damn long.
pts
Acolyte

Post by pts »

1 Planescape Torment
2 Vampire: Bloodlines
3 Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords
4 Fallout 1+2
5 Neverwinter Nights Series (some great mods!)
6 The Last of Us
7 Witcher Series
8 Dragon Age Origins
9 Shadowrun Series (Returns, Dragonfall, Hongkong)
10 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Honorable mention: Arcanum, Ultima 7+8, Deus Ex Series, System Shock 1+2, Baldurs Gate Series, Might&Magic: Clouds of Xeen/Darkside of Xeen, Wasteland 1+2, Divinity:Original Sin, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters, Day of the Tentacle, Money Island 1+2, Pillars of Eternity, Mass Effect Series, Betrayal at Krondor, Grim Fandango, Game of Thrones (the 2012 version by Cyanide, not the Telltale series), Dex, Age of Decadence
Last edited by pts on January 31st, 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoniOdin
Novice

Post by JoniOdin »

Very good list!
Since I don't have a newer console (the only ones I ever had were Playstation and Playstation 2) I couldn't play "The last of us", but I watched a let's play and it was awesome! One of the best directed games I've seen so far.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

I tried playing The Last Of Us, but one thing that bothered me was how often female characters were killed for dramatic effect, either quickly or slowly. It's like they served little other purpose but as motivation for the lead, which was honestly pretty annoying to me.
pts
Acolyte

Post by pts »

JoniOdin wrote:Very good list!
Since I don't have a newer console (the only ones I ever had were Playstation and Playstation 2) I couldn't play "The last of us", but I watched a let's play and it was awesome! One of the best directed games I've seen so far.
I actually bought an old ps3 (quite cheap due to ps4 being current gen) just to play this game, didn't regret it once. Rarely did i get so invested in the fate of purely fictional characters in a game...
macksting wrote:I tried playing The Last Of Us, but one thing that bothered me was how often female characters were killed for dramatic effect, either quickly or slowly. It's like they served little other purpose but as motivation for the lead, which was honestly pretty annoying to me.
Not really sure what you are talking about, of course characters you get to know and like will die, but it never felt to me like it didn't fit into the scene or situation, nor do i remember specifically female characters being killed more often or excessively. Its really a great game imo, would be sad if you miss it due to a bad first impression...
Last edited by pts on February 1st, 2016, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

pts wrote:
macksting wrote:I tried playing The Last Of Us, but one thing that bothered me was how often female characters were killed for dramatic effect, either quickly or slowly. It's like they served little other purpose but as motivation for the lead, which was honestly pretty annoying to me.
Not really sure what you are talking about, of course characters you get to know and like will die, but it never felt to me like it didn't fit into the scene or situation, nor do i remember specifically female characters being killed more often or excessively. Its really a great game imo, would be sad if you miss it due to a bad first impression...
It really did seem to me, at least for the duration I played, that it was overwhelmingly female characters who were being killed off in dramatic ways. Is the eventual body count more equal?
pts
Acolyte

Post by pts »

macksting wrote: It really did seem to me, at least for the duration I played, that it was overwhelmingly female characters who were being killed off in dramatic ways. Is the eventual body count more equal?
Well, in general i'd say the players bodycount is mostly male (bandits, soldiers). For people you get to know and like (characters with real backstory), i'd say it is balanced: (Spoilers follow!) The first two deaths that really hit me were female, Joel's daughter in the very beginning and later his longtime partner in crime Tess. who died rather heroically buying Ellie and Joel time to escape their pursuers after she was infected. The next really sad deaths of characters you get to know are a Father and his son however...
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Okay, so there's a better mix of refridgerators after the first three women of consequence die. Good to know. I'll probably give it another chance.
demonofelru
Initiate

Post by demonofelru »

1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Radiata Stories
5. Lunar: SSSC
6. Grandia
7. Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant
8. Xenosaga
9. Deus Ex
10. Legend of Dragoon
That fabricated faith was just a worldly system for compensating those people with fragile souls. 'Question not thy god, for thy god doth not respond.' –Jessie in Xenogears
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Well, somebody's a sucker for a good plot.
demonofelru
Initiate

Post by demonofelru »

macksting wrote:Well, somebody's a sucker for a good plot.
It's why I play games. I can deal with most other issues as long as the plot is great and the characters are well written.
That fabricated faith was just a worldly system for compensating those people with fragile souls. 'Question not thy god, for thy god doth not respond.' –Jessie in Xenogears
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Goodness knows Xenogears had, in fact, most issues.
The list of its merits is pretty massive, though.

"Celebrating my daughter's birth... may all the dreams, courage & love in the world be yours..."
urbandecay7
Initiate

Post by urbandecay7 »

Elder Scrolls IV- Played it for over 100 hours, possibly more. Brilliant soundtrack, kind of Anglo-Saxon feel, the freedom of spell-creation. Endless physics quirks and hidden things to quest for. Superior to Skyrim in so many ways, though I do love the latter.

Brain Lord(SNES)- Open world action RPG with probably the best SNES soundtrack and an emotional, mythic tale with elements of obscurity and loss.

Chrono Trigger- By now starting to see how soundtracks are so important. Best pizela rt I can think of. Brilliant, titillating story. Never beat it.

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption- Maybe a sentimental thing, but I have probably spent more hours in this game than any, especially in "storyteller" mode. Was a goth kid in high school and could not afford a computer that would run Bloodlines.

Dragon Age: Origins- Got attached to the characters, first game to make me truly regret making certain decisions...and yet keep those decisions intact.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil & Rage Wars(N64)- Loved what these games did to the Turok mythos. Loved the level design and aesthetic. The arena style multiplayer was addictive and I miss it.

Resident Evil 1&2- Oddly deep story and character arcs for a horror game. Scared and frustrated the crap out of me.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions- Like the remake due to the change to anglo-saxon sounding dialogue. Addictive, rewarding, full of intrigue.

Crusader Kings II- Still keeps me up at night, I wake up with nightmares that the Old Gods are wiped out and my dynasty is reduced to theocracy.

Dungeons and Dragons Online- Always been a Faerun fan, so not sure why this appealed to me so much, but this was an extremely fun game,especially before it went freemium. The art direction, graphics, beautiful instances, and yes, the soundtrack.
Ranger BraveStarr
Initiate

Post by Ranger BraveStarr »

1) Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
2) Fallout 1
3) Fallout 2
4) Baldur's Gate
5) Knights of the Old Republic
6) The Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind
7) Dragon Age: Origins
8) Gothic 1
9) Mass Effect 2
10) Command & Conquer 1
"I am a horse and what is this?!"
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Given the titles you listed, you really oughta try Xenogears and The Witcher. I'm taking C&C and Gothic as recommendations from that list.
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

Gothic 1&2 are decades old, but they are still decades ahead of the pack in terms of world creation and level design. I've never seen more cleverly fine-tuned open world. It's just open enough so you don't feel constricted, but closed enough to always keep you on track and keep the main quest always in the back of your head. You're being lead by the hand, but you never notice it. And they somehow managed to do it and make honest to god non-linearity too. It's amazing. And there's some many clever little details, like NPCs reacting agressively if you just walk into random house uninvited.

Unfortunately just about everything else about these games has been outdated and archaic already when they came out. The graphics looked crap already in 2004, the combat is garbage, camera work is terrible, the interface will make you poke your eyes out and voice acting is atrocious. So there's that.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Return to “General Discussion”