Your Top 10 Games

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Your Top 10 Games

Post by Drool »

tonurics wrote:Spy Hunter
So many quarters spent...
Elevator Action
Fun story. My local bowling alley had an arcade room. This and many other games cycled through there. Part of the reason this sticks out is because the top of the cabinet was broken, which meant you could lift the board, reach down, and flick the token-counter to give yourself free lives.

They also had some game where you where shooting badguys in a building through the windows. But you could also shoot things like fish bowls or toasters and things. And, I think, if there was another player, you could accidentally shot him, since he was on the other side of the building shooting badguys.

Man, there were so many games there and I only have vague, fractured memories of any of them. And arcades suck now as they're all House of the Dead clones or driving games. You'd think they could at least clone Afterburner.
Star Trek (old and new)
Ohh, those were some good ones.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics »

Drool wrote:So many quarters spent...
That reminds me, I'll be out at Arcade Expo 2.0 next weekend for the Kong Off. If you're in Southern California stop by and get your game on. Admittedly, it's more of a pinball venue [I think there are ~750 tables], but they generally have a few hundred arcade cabinets in the main hall. :ugeek:

This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

IHaveHugeNick wrote: Its a game of long-term plans. Anything that gives you big enough edge is a power strategy.
So by your own definition it's not a power strategy, since the bonus, while important, is hardly an "edge". Because if we treat any form of advantage as an edge, then EVERY strategy is a power-strategy. Even passive turtling and just waiting for the competition to wipe each other out.

That's why I've asked what do you mean as power strategy. If that boils down to adopting to what you've got, what terrain you control and what resources you've got, then "power strategy" turns into a meaningless phase that is equal to "playing the game".
IHaveHugeNick wrote:Yeah, Pirates! and it's 2004 remake were amazing and devilishly addictive. I've never understood why new versions haven't popped up, especially with piraty themes being a hip thing for a few years.
There were TONS of small copy-cat games relesed between 2004 and 2006. Most of them boiling down to sailing around the Caribbean, buccaneer for whoever you want (or go outright pirate), hunt down famous captains and commencing simple sea battles. No fencing, no dancing game, no sneaking around. So basically Pirates! Gold on modern(ish) engines.
There is also Mount & Blade style game, where you are a captain-for-hire, but I can't recall the name and it was released somewhere around 2012. Just like Mount & Blade, extremely unpolished
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Somebody at that Expo play a game of Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja for me!
Alwa nasci korliri das.
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

Myrth wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote: Its a game of long-term plans. Anything that gives you big enough edge is a power strategy.
So by your own definition it's not a power strategy, since the bonus, while important, is hardly an "edge".
Eh, I thought that it turns the Indians into the best civilization in the entire game, what happened with that? If they are the best civilization thanks to Fast Worker, then it must be a power strategy. You're contradicting yourself.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.
dflatline
Scholar

Post by dflatline »

If you like Civilization, you will probably like SSI's Imperialism http://www.gog.com/game/imperialism

My tips:
Wood. It's the most important resource in the game, it's used for everything from construction to ships to factory expansion to making paper with which to train labor. There are two types of forest in the game, scrub forest and normal forest. Normal forest is rare but its better to take a few extra turns to reach it rather than building a depot over some scrub since normal forest can be improved. Which leads me to:

Improvement units. It's generally better to improve your resource tiles rather than build more depots, depots take a long time to build especially when you factor in building your rail network. At least early in the game, later on you'll be wanting to gather as many primary resources as you can, but you should not neglect:

Trade. You should always be running your industry at a greater capacity than can be supported by resources in your country. Early in the game you should concentrate on trade and diplomacy with 2-3 minor nations that cover the main primary resources that you need for industry, most important being iron and coal, next either wool or cotton and least important is wood. It's possible to have a nation that has either no iron or coal or not enough to support a reasonable industry. Wool/Cotton (you only need one of them) is easier ot acquire domestically than iron+coal but still can be rare, you should have no problems with wood if you have at least some normal forest tiles however you need so much of it you should always be attempting to acquire more. The only things you should be selling ideally are "finished products", hardware, paper, chairs, canned food etc. The amount of money you get for them is extremely disproportionate to the cost of buying primary and secondary resources. Merely selling one hardware every round early in the game is enough income to support either all or most of your buying primary resources. As far as buying goes you should only buy primary resources unless you are at war with a major power and need to quickly expand your military where you should buy secondary resources (specifically steel for the most part). Never allow another major power to become favoured trading partners with a minor nation you're concentrating on. Your first act should always be to offer a 5% subsidy, you should then move onto building an embassy then offering a non-aggression pact. These are the minimum amounts of diplomacy you should offer as early as possible to get a headstart on other nations as buying their stuff is the most important way to improve your relationship with minor powers but thats not possible if you're not their favoured trading partner from the outset.

Industry. You'll be wanting to run your primary to secondary conversion factories at full capacity at all times and you'll should make it a priorty to expand them to a point where you are making enough secondary resources that you can at the same time stockpile 1 unit and have enough units to produce finished products. As far as finished products go ideally you'll be wanting to stockpile at least 1 per round and have 1 available for sale.

Transport capacity. Ships are the priority here, the more ships you have the more primary resources you can buy, the more primary resources you can buy from minor nations the more likely you are to become their favoured trading partner. Even though buying one resource has the same diplomatic benefit as buying more of their resources, the point is if you're buying all of them they're not offering them to other major powers and improving their relationships with them.

Military. Early game you can pretty much entirely neglect your land forces and if you've been stockpiling secondary resources like I suggest you should be able to quickly muster a decent force only if it becomes necessary. What you should never neglect though is your navy. A decent navy can stop you getting attacked on land at all unless another major power shares a border with you, they also allow you to tour the world and spy on the militaries of the other great powers. You should never have land battles set to automatic, strategy goes a long way in Imperialism and a battle that would fail on automatic can easily be won with minimal casualties under manual control.

Final note: These tips apply to the early game and getting started only. There are aspects of the game I've not even mentioned such as developer units and getting minor nations to join your empire. I'm not going to tell you how to play the game because half of the fun of these sorts of games is figuring out the best strategies on your own.
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

That looks interesting, dflatline! Thanks for the tip.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

IHaveHugeNick wrote:Eh, I thought that it turns the Indians into the best civilization in the entire game, what happened with that? If they are the best civilization thanks to Fast Worker, then it must be a power strategy. You're contradicting yourself.
Last time I've checked, my point was how Fast Worker is the most powerful unit of the game, but whatever - I guess we are doing here a semantic discussion at this point, which defeats the purpose.
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

I just completed Transistor a couple minutes ago…
While I don’t know yet which game of my top ten will have to leave, Transistor has a place in there, no doubt about it!
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

What's it like? How's the soundtrack and plot? Though goodness knows I've seen truly amazing games which lacked in either.
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

Soundtrack and plot are amazing, there’s no other word for that… I often listen to the soundtrack even when I’m not playing the game, it is a true piece of art by itself. And for the plot, well, let’s just say I literally dropped a tear on the final scene. That may very well be the first time a game achieves this for me!

The game is (too) short, but it is a quite intense experience. And the gameplay is miles ahead of Bastion!
It might be a bit harder to get into than Bastion, but it is in my opinion a much more rewarding experience overall.

If you’ve not already seen it, there’s a review by TotalBiscuit I mostly agree with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymf7o5K9UU

Shadowrun Returns was my n°1 gaming experience for 2015, Transistor has good chances to be the n°1 for 2016 8-)
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

How's the plot's complexity? Cave Story didn't need a byzantine storyline to be gripping; pacing helped with that, I think. Still, I'm a bit spoiled by Xenogears, which admittedly benefits from but does not require extensive knowledge of early Christian heresies and maybe even a little knowledge of the culture of Nazi Germany's SS. Or Deus Ex, the plot of which seemed quite simple until I tried to explain it.

Of course, Deus Ex made me ponder and ruminate on my actions and motivations, but Xenogears made me sob like a man bereft.
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

The story itself is linear, there isn’t any choice I can remember. But I felt grabbed into it quite quickly, and it didn’t bore me in any way.

To make it short and spoiler-free : you begin the game playing a mute character associated with another character without a body, in a city that is falling to ruins for an unknown reason. During the game you will try to find an explanation for this strange situation, fighting your way through the creatures that are "erasing" the city and its inhabitants.

There is a lot of lore too about specific people that lived in this city (including you and your companion), that helps fleshing things out. Everything lore-related is optional reading, but well worth it.
The nice idea here has been to unlock more details about the lore if you use diverse playstyles.

-----

So here goes my updated top 10, still in no particular order:
  • Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri
  • Transistor
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall
  • Age of Empires
  • Baldur’s Gate
  • Heroes of Might and Magic IV
  • Faster Than Light
Goodbye Diablo II, welcome Transistor ;)
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Interesting! Does it ask any big questions? And maybe better yet try to answer them?
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

macksting wrote:Interesting! Does it ask any big questions? And maybe better yet try to answer them?
Nothing like « What does one life matter? », but it opens some interesting ways to think about democracy/totalitarism and how the limits between them are sometimes blurry. It shows you what can happen when a small group of people can gain too much power over a place and its population.
It also comes with an interesting love story, and while I’m usually not into this kind of stuff I found this one to be really moving.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

That's certainly a big enough set of questions! Any answers?
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

macksting wrote:That's certainly a big enough set of questions! Any answers?
There are hints, but the definitive answer is up to the player ;)
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Hrm. That can work. The problem, of course, is it's easy (though important) to ask questions, but presenting answers is tough. That's part of why I like Evangelion. It's angsty, but it tries hard to deliver solutions to that angst.

Deus Ex asks some mighty odd questions, some not very obvious. One of its options is chilling, ominous, but... revolutionary.
vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 »

Hmm, sounds like I’ll need to give a real try to Deus Ex soon ;)
"revolutionary" is the kind of thing that easily appeal to my gaming appetites!
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

When considering the original game's final conundrum, bear in mind, given the power you'd been granted, how had you used it?

Return to “General Discussion”