Your Top 10 Games

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

JoniOdin
Novice

Your Top 10 Games

Post by JoniOdin »

What are your top 10 games ever?
I know this kind of list sometimes is hard to make, since I could easly name 20 games I truly love above all others, but still...

Here are mine --->

1.: Gothic
2.: Planescape: Torment
3.: Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic I & II
4.: Deus Ex & Deus Ex: Invisible War
5.: Dragon Age: Origins
6.: The Witcher II
7.: Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
8.: Alpha Protocol
9.: Pillars of Eternity
10.: The walking dead - Season 1 (Telltale)
macksting
Explorer

Re: Your Top 10 Games

Post by macksting »

In no particular order:

1. Deus Ex (Win)
2. The Guardian Legend (NES)
3. Fallout 1 (Win)
4. Sword of the Stars (Win)
5. Marathon series (Mac)
6. Xenogears (PS1)
7. Descent 1 & 2 (MS-Dos)
8. Planescape: Torment (Win)
9. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (Win)
10. Red Baron (MS-Dos)

Honorable mentions for Shogo M.A.D. for sheer style, and for Beyond Good & Evil for making me want to take pictures of everything while playing KOTOR.

Addendum: ...and for Christopher Heral's music. BG&E has a lot going for it. It's just, well... it has very stiff competition, and I haven't replayed it nearly as obsessively as the top 10 above.
JoniOdin
Novice

Post by JoniOdin »

Okay, since other platforms count as well, I might add
Vagrant Story (PS)
sharing the top spot with Gothic!
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Uf. I don't think I can put them in a specific order, but some of them would be...

Wasteland 1
Bard's Tale 3
Might and Magic 4 & 5
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Some crazy ass C64 game where you ran over people with a car (no, seriously; was vertical scrolling)
Gunship
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Rise of the Triad

All I've got right now. A lot of those games probably aren't necessarily the best of the series they belong to, but they were either the first I played in the series, or games I played at a formative age and have thus formed my tastes and ideas about games.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Fuck. I forgot Bushido Blade (PS1) and Missionforce: Cyberstorm. (Win95)
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

Ho boy... Just ten and from all genres? Impossibru!
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

Meh, lists are hard. The other day on a different forum people were making top 10 games of 2015, and I've faced painful realization that I'm not even completing 10 games a year anymore, not to even mention having the ability to pick top 10 list.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

10 a year? Hard to imagine... The money alone... I could reduce the negative influence of finances by employing small indie games and open source games, but time, too, is a factor. I have a four year old child.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Top 10 for the year? There's only a few ways I see that happening:

1) You are employed as a video game reviewer
2) You are unemployed entirely
3) You're a games connoisseur like an alcoholic is a wine connoisseur

Okay, so type 3 sounds a bit harsh... but I've known people like that. They get a game, power through it doing the bare minimum, and then never play it again. I knew someone who "finished" Oblivion in about 10 hours. I don't mean they gave up, I mean, they felt they had finished. Did one guild questline, one daedric quest, and the main quest. Conversely, I had logged about 80 hours in Oblivion before I even remembered that there was a main quest.

People who power through the games, who's only goal is to finish, probably have a top 10 list. They probably have a GameFly account. They're the reason GameSpot has used copies of games that came out yesterday.

Personally, I prefer to savor my games and take my time with them. According to Steam, I have 17.2 hours logged on WL2:DC. I'm just now getting to the Prison.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Well, I dunno. I could probably do a Top 10 for the year list, but it would include some pretty bad games. While I do cycle through a lot of games in a year, a lot of those games are cheap games that I grabbed by the handful when websites like Steam or Humble do a big sale. Sort of a quantity over quality thing, in hopes of discovering enjoyable cheapo games that I might have otherwise skipped over.

As far as all-inclusive Top 10 lists go, I don't know if I'd ever be able to put together a definitive list. There are certainly a few classic games that I do find myself going back to on a semi-regular basis, though. Jagged Alliance 2, for example, or the original Baldur's Gate (before all of the upgrade patches and re-releases). Just off the top of my head, I suppose my list would include (in alphabetical order):

Arcanum (PC)
Baldur's Gate (PC)
Dragon Force (Sega Saturn)
Fallout and/or Fallout 2 (PC)
Jagged alliance 2 (PC)
Lunar: Eternal Blue and/or Lunar: Silver Star Story (Sega CD)
Ogre Battle (PS1)
Planescape: Torment (PC)
XCOM or X-Com (PC)

There are plenty of other games that I've logged tens or even hundreds of hours into that I wouldn't really consider for the list. Skyrim, for example, is a game that I like to play when I'm relaxing - but purely for the exploration and immersion factor. As a game, I'd consider it far too flawed to make it onto any proper list. Some of the ones that do make it on the list, like Dragon Force, are admittedly there largely because of nostalgia. :P

EDIT - While I've played titles like the original Wasteland and a lot of the TSR/SSI games, they were a little before my time when they first came out. I ended up playing most of them years after-the-fact, so I'm not as nostalgically attached to them. My list is definitely pretty skewed toward personal perceptions, based on when and how I played various titles.

EDIT x2 - I'd probably also include Avernum on the list (originally known as Exile). Maybe some of the sequels, too, but I always felt that the first one was the best of the lot. It's a small indie RPG from Spiderweb Software, that's only recently started getting more attention because they finally started selling the remakes through Steam.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

Drool wrote: I knew someone who "finished" Oblivion in about 10 hours. I don't mean they gave up, I mean, they felt they had finished. Did one guild questline, one daedric quest, and the main quest.
Out of all examples you had to pick probably the worst one, aka game made by Bethesda, where ALL quests are just the same shit over and over and over again - go to X, kill everything, get back. There is simply no reason to do side-quests, as they are boring, generic to the point of trite and all based on one and the same scheme.

About your whole assumption. I will try to keep it civil, so... it's untrue on multiple levels and most importantly - you know that.
Having time only if being NEET? I'm married and working full shifts, yet somehow I can always play when I want to and there is something worth my time, without sacrificing anything from my life. Powering through? Dunno, unless it's open-world RPG, there is literally no other way to play than "power through". Not replaying? How about it's simply not worth the time and hassle to play it ever again or alternatively there is no replay value at all.
And most importantly, the smug smile of superiority you wear as a "savourer" is completely undeserved. You are just a guy who wants to feel better than the rest, because they are having fun "the wrong way", aka not playing it the way you play and genres you play. And you have the audacity to point finger at anyone? Because people have fun in different way than you do?

Anyway, I've figured out it will be the best to just make a list of top 10 RPGs of my choice, given I was lured here because of official Wasteland 2 forum
1. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - game so great it made steampunk good
2. Albion - would be 1st if Arcanum was never made
3. Darklands - we were this close from making this into a series/franchise... and MicroProse was taken over
4. Gothic - everything else in the series was just the pale shadow of the colony
5. Fallout 2 - the only one with any replay value
6. Jagged Alliance 2 - THE tactical shooter, makes up with the gameplay almost non-existing plot
7. Wasteland - one of the very first RPGs I've ever played
8. Expeditions: Conquistador - it's amazing this gem was almost not made
9. The Witcher 3 - apparently you can still make an AAA game that is also a great and simply enjoyable RPG
10. Original War - I treat it as an RPG with RTS elements, not the other way around... and doing a lot of imaginary RP in my head
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Myrth wrote:8. Expeditions: Conquistador - it's amazing this gem was almost not made
I liked that one. It's another small-scale Kickstarter success story. I don't think I'd say it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but it was definitely one worth playing through a couple of times.

They've got a sequel in the works now, called "Expedition: Vikings". No idea what the speculated release date is, and they really don't seem to be going out of their way to advertise it, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

Given how most "classics" in cRPG are for me nothing else than highly-overrated crap and how E:C was one of the best RPGs released in past decade (if not the best), it deserves much more praise than it gets.

Nice to know the Viking idea was finally picked. And advertising was never their strong side. Entire marketing of E:C, both at developing and selling stage, was based on word-of-mouth, without any active or even passive support from the devs themselves. It's like they've made the game for themselves and forget to market it.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Replay value is important, eh? Do you find games without significant replay value can have a lasting positive impact for you, Myrth? Some of my favorite titles don't have a lot of replay value at all, so it's certain our tastes differ. I'm curious how and why.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

You get me wrong. It's not how replay value is important. Nor it's a non-factor. It simply differs from game to game. I love the absolute classic of point&click adventure games, Beneath a Steel Sky. But ever since release in '94, I've played it only four times, roughtly once per 4 years [I've changed the game for something more familiar]. Does this low replay value make it bad game? Of course not. On the other hand, Blade Runner, so far the only game in existence that has the entire game world living on it own and with flow of time, got just absurd replay value, especially since it's randomised who is the replicant. Those two are within the same genre (more or less), yet are completely different, each having own strengths and weaknesses.

Said that, replay value is paramount in certain genres. Like open-world RPG. If each playthrought is exactly the same regardless of what character you've made and what decisions were made, what was the point of illusory "open world", if the game is completely linear and with no variety in it?

There is a difference in replaying Tomb Raider 4 for the n-th time, because in that game my manual skills as a player are the most important factor (so just knowing where to go and where the pick-ups are is not everything) and say, playing already mentioned Oblivion, where entire gameplay boils down to "go to X, kill Y, (sometimes) return to quest-giver" - it takes zero skill from the player, it's repetitive and drives you nowhere. If game is at least challenging or skill-based (player's skill, not PC's skill), it can get away with linearity by creating other challenges than decision-making and complex storytelling. When the game is void from that AND decision-making complex storytelling, I'm getting bored to tears. And if game makes you so bored you want to cry, well...
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Fair enough. I guess it's something I latched onto because our lists are fairly distinct, and whereas I love Fallout 1, you placed Fallout 2 above it, citing replay value.

I would certainly not argue the point on that merit. Fallout 2 has vastly more replay value. That I've replayed Fallout 1 obsessively since 2000 is symptomatic of mental illness, not superior critical capacity. Still, it always seemed to me that Fallout 1 had the more consistent atmosphere and the more interesting plot. So I kinda latched onto replay value as the root cause of the differing assessments.
Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth »

Because there is no reason for replaying Fallout 1. For me the game is amazingly linear and almost holding your hand of what and where and how to do. Fallout 2 at least has guts to use the world and after a while tells you "Well son, end of the line, now you are on your own, enjoy!" and actually encourages you to explore, visit different places, work for different people... perhaps some of them will know something? Gameplay is vastly improved from F1, NPCs matter and are useful, the plot is much more anti-heroic in nature instead of knighting around in shining armour, F1 style. Replay value in this case refers to the fact that while you can memorise most of the game after single playthrought, you may actually find reasons to play it again just for fun, not obsession.
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

Well, to be fair, the last time I played Fallout 1 I discovered something new and interesting. Again. Even if I played once a year (15 times), that's still a lot of new things.

I guess it's more the science fiction elements that get me. I've nothing particularly against the GECK or the Enclave's goals, but it simply never compared well to me when placed alongside Fallout 1's landscape twisted exclusively by gene therapy, or the effects of immunology, or the simple matter of an XNA molecule produced by interfering with anaphase, and the consequences thereof.
kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug »

(Note : I count series/saga as one game)

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate saga
Civilization
Master of Orion (esp the 2)
Heroes of Might and Magic (esp the 3)
Wing Commander
Day of the Tentacle
Shadowrun Returns
Wasteland 2
Fallout (1 & 2)
macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting »

For the record, I think it's fine to count a series as one game for this kind of thing. It's not a very formal system. But that's just me.

Return to “General Discussion”