Cyberpunk 2077

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

macksting
Explorer

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by macksting » December 7th, 2015, 4:08 pm

On that note, I think I'd be willing to play a "sword hitter."

Edit: That's basically what Hexen II is, isn't it.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 8th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Lucius wrote:Idk, I think we can confidently predict there will be shooting involved in this game. Whether it is DXHR first person thing or a 3rd person style, whether it will be cover based etc, are all unknowns, but we can pretty much guess safely this won't be top down or turn based.
Well, yes. There will probably also be "cyber-ware" and "hacking". I'm more interested in how they're going to do an open world megalopolis, how faithfully they're translate the table top rules to the game, and things like that.

That said, it looks like they've got some nice touches, like the poster of Alt Cunningham in the background toward the beginning of the trailer.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 8th, 2015, 2:04 pm

I'm honestly not concerned with combat at all. Its CDP, you know its going to be shit. Best to accept that right away and move on.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 8th, 2015, 8:31 pm

It'll be an over-the-shoulder TPS, almost definitely.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 10th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Over-the-shoulder TPS, and designed for console pads at that.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 11th, 2015, 1:27 am

I'm not so fond of "open worlds" (I prefer "semi-open worlds", like WL2, BG or FO1/2, where you have some freedom of movement, but they don't try to pretend they simulate a whole hundred of kms wide world) nor of "over-the-shoulder" games, but so far I liked CDP games I played (Witcher 1 & 2), so I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » December 14th, 2015, 11:07 pm

i don't like Open World Games either, BUT Witcher 3 showed how good an open World game can be with a really consistent World and enough INTERESTING things to do combined with a strong story and really really really good side Quests.
Most of the other Open World games i played i lost interest in really quick.
With the Witcher 3 i got 130hours in and did not see everything.
So, i think Cd Project knows how to build an interesting Open world and a really good story.

Hope Cyberpunk 2077 will be as good as Witzcher 3 was.

urbandecay7
Initiate

Post by urbandecay7 » February 7th, 2016, 4:32 pm

All about an open world Cyberpunk, would not be interested in it otherwise. Think of the game Dex, where you could randomly stumble into various dangerous, ill-inhabited places without meaning to, sometimes the ground coming right from under your feet. This kind of city isn't just gonna be a gridbox like GTA, Night City HAS to be an ecosystem, a mixture of inhabitants in various states of life and survival. You would see populations bent around abandoned technology, rudimentary living spaces...all the way to places adapted to completely new ways of living.

We won't be just roaming streets. We will be roaming something like an urban rainforest, complete with floor, understory, canopy, and emergent layers. At least, if it is anything like the style of the PnP, that would be the best way to have it modeled.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » February 7th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Excellent points. It's not like there's a lack of potential random encounters in any part of that setting. I still think it'd be pretty crucial to be able to know where you're going. That is, in fact, a major problem in navigating rainforests, and getting constantly lost in a dense sea of opaque green doesn't sound like a very interesting game.
There are critters, of course, that are well-adapted. The key, I suppose, would be to make those adaptations available in the medium of a computer RPG. Same density, but with a predator's or prey's clarity of what matters.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 8th, 2016, 8:51 am

You'll either be roaming one city block posing as a megapolis, or you'll be roaming tons of procedurally generated environments and completing tons of procedurally generated content. So yeah.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » February 8th, 2016, 9:08 am

Could go with a more Dredd style, and have a lot of it take place in an arcology.

urbandecay7
Initiate

Post by urbandecay7 » February 8th, 2016, 4:48 pm

macksting wrote:I still think it'd be pretty crucial to be able to know where you're going. That is, in fact, a major problem in navigating rainforests, and getting constantly lost in a dense sea of opaque green doesn't sound like a very interesting game.
I can think of few things better than being lost in a Cyberpunk 2020 Night City. We might differ fundamentally there.

It might be similar to Assassin's Creed, night city may indeed be divided in several different environments/districts. The thing is, CDP are better story tellers, even more, they are better non-linear storytellers. I have my doubts that if it is similar in that vein, that it will be so very repetitive or banal.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » February 8th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I have a feeling that it will have Mass Effect visual style, everything will look clean and shiny, bright lights, no grime or grit. When I think of Cyberpunk I think of William Gibson's quote the "The future is here, it's just not equally distributed". Like the actual infrastructure/foundation of the city is old, you'd have wooden buildings or crumbly concrete apartment blocks, but then there's super-advanced technology you will see over the top. Blade Runner did this amazingly well.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » February 8th, 2016, 11:00 pm

There's a peculiar novel I've read called Bad Voltage. Gibson's work borrows prettily from J. G. Ballard; Bad Voltage steals liberally from Gibson and yet, by stripping it of all Ballard, has its own and different thing going. I haven't really played much Cyberpunk; I know enough about the specific setting that I love it already, and did before CDP got involved in a video game adaptation, but have simply never had the opportunity.

I nearly wrote an essay just now about Ballard vs. Gibson vs. Littell, and honestly, it's probably neither relevant nor is it useful without context. >_<

I mean, I hope everybody gets a chance to read "The Subliminal Man," or "The Killing Ground," especially in today's political and economic climate. But honestly, there's a lot of books and stories out there, and who has the time for it all?

Anyway, the roots of cyberpunk are rich, and the literature which birthed it sometimes really wasn't very punk, though not without its profound wisdom for our social class. Suffice to say, though, that hopefully CDP sees what can be done with it. Poland isn't a small place, but it borders on Ukraine. They've seen fascism, and I'm sure they can see it rearing its ugly head again, in Scandinavia, in England, in the US, and more openly in Kiev. The problems of unrestrained finance capital and the adaptations of the increasingly urban and increasingly poor are kind of important to cyberpunk, preferably central.

Sorry, I've been sick lately. I don't know if I'm saying anything useful here.

Edit: Ever find yourself wishing, especially with a book you only have in print, that it were both legal and feasible to just post the short story or novel, hell the rutting video game, that's contextually appropriate? I miss when we could do that with impunity. Gimme that massive, wild darknet full of necessities I can't afford in other media. I used Napster to get a lot of AMVs, but I begin to think its capacity to communicate novels was an underutilized resource.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 9th, 2016, 5:36 am

Crosmando wrote:I have a feeling that it will have Mass Effect visual style, everything will look clean and shiny, bright lights, no grime or grit.
I dunno. Clean and shiny didn't really come to mind in the teaser trailer.

I'll admit that I have my concerns, especially with making an open world city that feels like a real city, but I think CDPR has earned a little bit of faith on my part. At least until we have something concrete.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

urbandecay7
Initiate

Post by urbandecay7 » February 12th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Drool wrote:
Crosmando wrote:I have a feeling that it will have Mass Effect visual style, everything will look clean and shiny, bright lights, no grime or grit.
I dunno. Clean and shiny didn't really come to mind in the teaser trailer.

I'll admit that I have my concerns, especially with making an open world city that feels like a real city, but I think CDPR has earned a little bit of faith on my part. At least until we have something concrete.
They made game of the year over Bethesda. Gonna suck for FO$ to be a "Deluxe" or "Ultra" edition rather than "Game of the Year" edition.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » March 8th, 2016, 12:45 pm

A lot of rumors and speculation floating around for Cyberpunk 2077.

The most controversial one originates from some information that was reportedly data mined from files in The Witcher III. There's a lot of debate on whether or not the images are real, as well as to why they would be included in the files for TW3.

The images in question are here: https://imgur.com/a/UX1oe

The images seem to imply that the game will use a "four button" dialogue system (similar to the one infamously used by Bioware and most recently Bethesda).

In other news, it is officially confirmed that Marcin Przybylowicz has been brought on board to make the soundtrack for CP2077. He is the composer who handled the Soundtrack for The Witcher III.

CDPR has been very tightly controlling any released information for the game, but they've dropped a few vague hints here and there.

Most notably, they released this fake article from "Night City Today", which discusses the latest media craze in 2077: http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/cyberpu ... rmitt.jpeg

Beyond that, they've made some vague statements about aspects of the game. It's been stated that the map for Night City will be even larger than the world map for TW3, and that the player will have to contend with things like combat zones that have been completely taken over by gangs. Notable locations will include the Forlorn Hope (a bar in Night City that also received it's own sourcebook for the old tabletop RPG), and various Afterlife Clubs (hangouts for Solos, the professional mercenaries of the CP universe).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 8th, 2016, 3:08 pm

SagaDC wrote:The most controversial one originates from some information that was reportedly data mined from files in The Witcher III. There's a lot of debate on whether or not the images are real, as well as to why they would be included in the files for TW3.

The images in question are here: https://imgur.com/a/UX1oe
Even if they're real, it's not showing much aside from the dialog one.
Beyond that, they've made some vague statements about aspects of the game. It's been stated that the map for Night City will be even larger than the world map for TW3, and that the player will have to contend with things like combat zones that have been completely taken over by gangs.
Ambitious.

I hope they give plenty of love to all the classes and not just Solos. Some of the most fun I had was playing a medtech.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 7th, 2016, 8:45 am

Apparently CDPR just started quietly shopping around for a producer. They're specifically looking for someone with at least two years of experience in the movie industry, or in the Triple-A gaming industry, and whoever they hire will need to relocate to Poland during development.

It means that they're starting to move forward with the development of the game, but it also means that they're much earlier in development than most folks were expecting them to be. Oh well. :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 22nd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Whelp, CDPR hasn't forgotten about it, but it looks like we've got a couple more years to wait.
Alwa nasci korliri das.