Battletech Kickstarter

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

Ronin73
Master

Battletech Kickstarter

Post by Ronin73 »

Launched by Harebrained Schemes and Jordan Weisman creator of Battletech and MechWarrior.

Game has already been funded. A little disappointed that the base game is $25, so not sure if I will back or not.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... escription
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Battletech Kickstarter

Post by SagaDC »

I'll probably end up backing it at about the $50-tier myself, though I'm waiting for them to reach the "single-player campaign" stretch goal before I do. I generally stick to single-player games these days, and have no idea if anyone I know will actually end up picking up this game for multiplayer purposes. :P

Aside from that, I'm liking the look of the concept art, and I really like the idea of running a mercenary crew of mechwarriors in a strategic turn-based game. I'm also surprised to see that a lot of the high-tier slots are already filled, which goes a long way toward showing the kind of following that Battletech still has.
sear
Developer

Post by sear »

Backed this morning. I got busy with work, and by the time I had backed it a half-hour after they launched, it was already funded... looks like they're off to a great start.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Ronin73 wrote:A little disappointed that the base game is $25, so not sure if I will back or not.
Frankly, that's pretty much been standard for almost two years now. The days of $15 base game are long gone.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando »

As we did with our Shadowrun games, we intend to capture the *spirit* of the original tabletop rules, while designing the best PC game we can.
Nope.
Matthias did nothing wrong!
Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva »

Crosmando wrote:
As we did with our Shadowrun games, we intend to capture the *spirit* of the original tabletop rules, while designing the best PC game we can.
Nope.

haha, for once im in agreement with you, but hell they were still good games imho.

im really looking forward to the BattleTech game
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Things were getting a bit off-topic, so I split some of the posts off into a separate thread. Feel free to continue discussing it over there!

I'm not taking sides in the debate, just trying to stress that this thread is about Battletech rather than D&D. :)
Euclidean
Novice

Post by Euclidean »

Drool wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:A little disappointed that the base game is $25, so not sure if I will back or not.
Frankly, that's pretty much been standard for almost two years now. The days of $15 base game are long gone.
Harebrained's last game was start last January and had a $15 dollar option.

I don't have any particular attachment to Battletech but at $15 dollars I'd be willing to give it a chance though. At $25 I'll wait for a steam sale.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Looks like the campaign just hit $1.55-million. That means that all of their "Stage 2" funding goals have been met. That means that not only will the game now include a single-player story campaign, but the campaign will include cinematic scene transitions, selectable origin stories for your player-character, limited voice-acting, and a 3D portrait system for your mechwarriors.

I'm always a fan of optional origin stories that have an actual effect on the story of a game. I'm more ambivalent toward the other three goals, though, since that's mostly just flash over substance. I tend to worry more about whether a game is going to be fun and engaging, and less about whether it's going to have cut scenes and talking heads.

At any rate, they're now working toward their first Stage 3 goal, which is set at $1.85-million. If (when) they reach that amount, they'll be expanding the single-player story campaign into an open-ended campaign system where you have more control over what you do and how you do it. The campaign will allow the player to charter JumpShips and travel to various warzons in and around the Inner Sphere, where they'll be able to take on optional contracts with various factions (both the Great Houses and various subfactions). These optional side-contracts will be procedurally generated.

A recent update on the Kickstarter (Update #3) went into some details on what this might entail, such as the addition of a reputation system which will be influenced by which factions you decide to work with or against.

Although it is not yet set in stone, the developers are discussing the idea of allowing the player to negotiate key aspects of mercenary contracts that they take on, allowing the player to haggle over things like better down-payments for taking a contract, better salvage rights during combat, or even negotiating for additional field-support during more difficult operations (in exchange for less pay, since your client is providing the extra support). This would tie into the reputation system, because having a better reputation with a specific faction would make it easier to negotiate better terms during the contract phase of a job they're offering.

EDIT (10/10/15) - Update #6 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1377931) covers the current plans for dealing with damaged battlemechs between missions. Again, the finer details aren't yet set in stone, but it gives a good idea of what they're planning. During battle, any component of your mech can be damaged or destroyed, and this damage persists from mission to mission unless it's dealt with. Players may sometimes find themselves faced with a situation where the potential damage to their mechs will far outweigh any rewards they stand to gain, prompting them to withdraw from the battlefield and forfeit their contract (and some reputation).

Once a mech is damaged, the player will have four or five options for how to deal with the damage. The easiest thing to do is ignore it, of course, but that's rarely ideal. The most practical approach is to manually repair the damaged components using your Mercenary Company's mechtechs, who will give you an idea of how much the repairs will cost and how long the repairs will take. A quicker and dirtier option is to have your mechtechs juryrig the component(s) in the short term, which will get your mech back onto the battlefield faster, but at the cost of efficiency and reliability. A simple but effective option is to simply buy a new component and replace the damaged one entirely, while a player fortunate enough to have looted sufficient salvage during battles may already have a replacement component on-hand, allowing them to quickly swap out the damaged components for one that happens to be in better condition.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

As of today, the Battletech kickstarter has reached Stage 3. The single-player campaign will now be open-ended, allowing the player to break away from the main storyline to seek out procedurally generated side missions throughout the Periphery and Inner Sphere. They will also be able to continue doing side missions even after the main story has concluded.

This expanded campaign will also allow the player to pick and choose which alliances they want to pursue, with both the five Great Houses and various smaller sub-factions. As your reputation grows (or drops) with various factions, it will impact what kinds of contracts you are offered.

They are now working toward reaching their next stretch goal at $2,000,000. If they reach this amount, then the single-player game will also include a customizable home base for your mercenary organization in the form of a derelict DropShip. The player will be able to adjust its appearance, repair and upgrade it's functionality, and "grow and evolve" the base as their outfit grows and evolves.

After that, the next stretch goal is at $2,150,000. At that point, legendary battlemechs and legendary mechwarriors will be added to the game. Players will be able to seek out powerful unique mechs, or hire legendary pilots (including some from past sourcebooks or novels), and at least temporarily gain their assistance. It is implied that such characters may not stick around for long, but will be well worth the hoops you have to jump through to even temporarily gain their assistance.

The full update can be found here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1385929
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Dang. At this point, I'm almost assured to back.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 »

Yeah, I ended up backing once it reached stage 3.

Despite having played very few mech inspired games the single player campiagn sounds really interesting.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo
Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 »

also backed now.
I always loved Battletech and looking forward to the singleplayer-campaign.
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

And the customizable dropship has been unlocked, with ten days left on the clock. Your dropship will have a limited number of empty "module" bays that you can fill over time, and constructing these modules will cost both resources and time.

Although the details aren't set, the devs released some information about several basic "ship modules" that they're currently kicking around. This includes:

* Mech Bays. These come in two flavors (Repair Bays or Refitting Bays) and are required to repair or refit your battlemechs. One is required for each mech that you want to repair or refit at a time.

* Mech Simulators. Mechwarriors can be assigned to train in these simulation chambers to improve their skills over time.

* MechTech Fabrication Bay. These chambers will increase your ability to jury-rig, repair, or improve your mechs.

* Sick Bay. Obviously intended to help speed the recovery of your lightly wounded mechwarriors. A Ship's Hospital module will be required to treat more heavily injured mechwarriors.

Their next stretch goal is set to unlock once they reach $2,150,000. At that point, they'll be adding legendary mechs and mechwarriors to the game. Once they get past that, they'll be gunning for their next major stretch goal at $2,500,000 - PVP Multiplayer mode.

The full update can be found here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1390702

EDIT (10/15/15) - Four days left on the clock, and they just unlocked their next Stretch Goal. The game will now include legendary mechs and mechwarriors. The Kickstarter is now aiming toward their Stage 4 goal, which is set at a lofty $2.5-million. If the Kickstarter reaches that amount, then they'll also be including a PVP multiplayer mode in the final game.

The latest update also goes into detail about several aspects of the in-game engine that they are currently working with to design the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1397941

EDIT x2 (11/02/15) - And with one day left on the clock, the final stretch goal has been unlocked. The game will now also include a PvP options allowing players to go head-to-head with other players in the arenas of Solaris IV. There will be no additional stretch goals, and any additional money raised will be put toward polishing the existing features.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1400906
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

It's been almost six months since the Battletech Kickstarter was successfully funded, and HBS has finally started releasing some new information about the game. They're currently working on prototype builds and concept art, and their latest official update goes into rather exhaustive detail about their current plans for the Argo-Class Dropship that will act as your headquarters during the official campaign.

You can find all the details here on the official Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1512716

The Battletech PC-game is tentatively slated for release in May 2017.
Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva »

https://www.twitch.tv/hyperrpg/v/53416479

here is the link to the battletech Q&A (starts around 1:03) seems they plan to do this monthly
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

Update #26 just popped up over on the Kickstarter page, and this time around Jordan Weisman spent some time giving an overview of how they're hoping to make the turn-based portion of the combat system work.

The first half of the news entry talks about what they couldn't do, and why it didn't work. The second half of the news entry talks about the system that they ended up ultimately running with. It's some pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... ts/1541543
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

It's a nice update. I especially liked:
Make Light 'Mechs useful and versatile - Light 'Mechs were included in the game to be used as scouts, flankers, and forward observers. Historically, these roles have appeared in BT fiction more than in game play, so one of our major goals is to make Light 'Mechs really useful.
It was always just a run to the Battlemaster or Atlas in other games, so it would be nice to see some of the lighter mechs getting some love.

Edit:

Also, holy hell, that rapid prototyping isn't a bad idea, since how something looks on paper doesn't always translate to the game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo »

Drool wrote:
I actually misunderstood Ronin73's post at first; thinking the price was seen as too low ~and indicative of the [possibly reduced] scope of the game as being not something worth backing. :D

Having just played three of the four Shadowrun titles, by Harebrained Schemes, I am absolutely interested in anything they produce.
Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva »

next Q&A livestream on the day after tomorrow ( 13th of April 2016) at 2pm PST (which is 9pm GMT)

the Topic will be Interstellar Travels:

Interstellar Travel includes the game play, logistics, and challenges of traveling between systems.

you can Ask questions before the stream on the forum or in the twitch chat (and hope for the best) last time the QA part was 1 hour long.
and lastly the twitch channel in question: https://www.twitch.tv/hyperrpg/

Return to “General Discussion”