XCOM 2 (Spoilers)

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: XCOM 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Zombra » June 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
June 13th, 2017, 9:54 am
It simply doesnt work with units that have no personality
Maybe, but I'm a customization freak; all my XCOM 2 units are based on people and characters I already know. It'll be cool for my mom and dad to build up bonuses for fighting on the same squad.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 13th, 2017, 10:38 am

Zombra wrote:
June 13th, 2017, 10:30 am
Lord of Riva wrote:
It simply doesnt work with units that have no personality
Maybe, but I'm a customization freak; all my XCOM 2 units are based on people and characters I already know. It'll be cool for my mom and dad to build up bonuses for fighting on the same squad.
im not sure how much FE youve played but this travesty is basically what happend in Radiant dawn. While the characters had a semblance of personality the supports did not there were just random sentences for each character that somewhat worked together.

I mean if this is a stat thing only then there is no issue, thats actually a good idea, if it however intends to emulate Fire Emblem supports it will end up really bad. Its not like im too hot on playing X-com 2 again (it wasnt bad but i fail to see how it improved over the first one from firaxis) so i can only hope it turns out well for those wanting to have it but i simply doubt it.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » June 13th, 2017, 11:02 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
that sounds like they have not understood what the bonds in FE are about.
Care to explain to the uninitiated what it is about? also I copied that quick refrence list from a news site, I am not sure if they are actually marketing it as such or it was an editorial comment.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 13th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Remo wrote:
June 13th, 2017, 11:02 am
Lord of Riva wrote:
that sounds like they have not understood what the bonds in FE are about.
Care to explain to the uninitiated what it is about? also I copied that quick refrence list from a news site, I am not sure if they are actually marketing it as such or it was an editorial comment.
ah i see.

then i may be "complaining" pointlessly.

The Support Systems had various Iterations over the course of the Series. One thing to mention if you really dont know Fire Emblem is that characters are "real" characters (not player created blank slates as in the PoE mercenaries for example, not mentioned as a negative btw.) and there is also Permadeath* so basically you get to know the people you are traveling with and try your damn best to not let them die.

*there is a casual mode since awakening without Permadeath

FE4: genealogy of the Holy war (SNES) introduced it (and its a game that should be played... its frankly the best one).

The game featured a cast of characters that tried to liberate a kingdom that was conquered by an opposing kingdom in this and most other games with the support system your units got points if they did specific tasks together. If you attacked while the other unit was close you got points, if they were attacked, if you healed them and even a few if you just stood near them. In this game this was only true for differently gendered characters.

Between different levels of points the characters conversed with each other giving more background and more personality to the characters, additionally these points were a very important factor for the second part of the game:

Akin to game of thrones your characters get betrayed right then when they won and get killed, practically all of them

The Second part of the games starred the Children of the characters. They shared Traits and abilities with their respective parents, some of the childs could be the heirs to a specific lineage for example if they had the right father, other would be of common birth. (this probably sounds more varied than it is though :P )

In the end they affected the level ups of the characters as well. If some people were not paired (or died before they had a child) a substitue child would instead join your forces, complete with different backstory etc.
This felt pretty organic and in the story pretty epic and it had some pretty deep effect on how to play the game as it added a interesting simulation layer.

The support system was featured again in the games 6-8 for the Gameboy Advance. "Binding Blade", "Fire Emblem" (in the West, its called Rekka no ken in Japan and was the first one released overseas) and "The Sacred Stones".

Here the Support System was placed a bit on the backburner. It was used for specific Stat boosts if characters were close to each other. These Stat boosts were depending on the Star Sign a specific unit has. As before the Supports opened up a lot new information and background to the characters due to the conversations they had.

New to these three games were supports for same gendered characters. In the end these Supports had an effect on the ending of the game, basically a lot of the characters had a different "What happened then... " part in the Epilogue and not all were bound to love and marriage (non of the same gendered pairings were)

Fire Emblem 9 Path of Radiance for the gamecube tried to do the same and was successful to some extent, however the Story was always meant to be 2 parts and that is were shit hit the fan. That is to say that Path of Radiance had its fair share of trouble as well, it was decent but way worse than what came before imho.

in Fire Emblem 10 they used a dynamic support system. The first issue was that they tried to make the states of the ninth game available which lead to a myriad of support states characters could be in (and there were dead characters as well) which probably lead to the amount of variables in the game for a "standard" support system to be way too many.
The second issue was the literally gigantic cast of characters, im talking about thrice the amount of characters of the other games ( im not going count ... :P ) that were partly in different combinations together.

The game fell flat on its nose, it was ambitious and did most things pretty badly. But i give them that they tried it was pretty big.

Then there was silence for years 9-10 and shortly after a remake of Fire Emblem 1 & 3 (which were incredibly bad btw ... )had flopped investors thought people in the west didnt like th series, yadda yadda yadda.

Then they got to do one last title, last chance deal etc.

And there was FE awakening for the 3ds . Awakening tried to change things up to some extent and they were incredibly successful.

1. They inserted a player character into the game (something like this was done in Fire emblem 7 as well) a personification of the tactician you are for those characters basically

2. They developed a Support System that was a mixture of 4 and the GBA games.

3. They inserted a second generation of characters, that had a lot of possible variables depending on who the pairings were.

And that was seemingly the winning formula.

In Fire emblem Fates, which was sold as 3 games featuring the Story from three different viewpoints, they did not only include the above but basically renovated the old game mechanics of the series, to the better (its simply a deeper tactics game).

And thats were we stand now (i just bought the latest relatively shitty remake they did (Fire emblem 2) and there will be a new game for the switch and there have been various crossovers (Shin megami tensei, Super smash brothers)

And Fire Emblem is now one of Nintendos biggest franchises, thats how it goes.

Not all is great though, naturally, the latest games in the Series had its fair share of critisism. It has not without reason the nickname "Fanservice Emblem" or "Waifu Emblem" in some communities. Its no skin of my back as i enjoy the tactical gameplay but i can at least attest that the Stories have become a LOT more anime eg. they have been pretty bad since fire emblem 9.

that was way too long but whatever :D

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 13th, 2017, 10:04 am

Firaxis has been releasing an ongoing series of short videos showcasing the various new specialty classes in the expansion. They've also recently released an 80-minute gameplay video showing off the general contents of the expansion.

I haven't had time to watch it all yet, but you can check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_h2l2 ... dMF6RbOrcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ik5hH9gGU