Is Wasteland 2 worth playing?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.
Young-Master-Zero
Initiate

I've been thinking about buying that collection that has both Wasteland 1 and 2 on Steam. But I keep hearing that Wasteland 2 has awful game design and writing. I'm definitely gonna buy the Wasteland 1 remaster no matter what but I wanna know if I should buy the "digital deluxe" (Or whatever it's called) collection on Steam or just buy the remaster on it's own and ignore Wasteland 2.

What should I do?
Freebird. Mantra of the moron.
Drool
Forum Moderator
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

I think Wasteland 2 is worth playing. It's a competent enough squad-based game. The writing is a little cliche, but nothing atrocious or anything like that. Also, I think a lot of the storyline and design complaints are from die-hard Wasteland aficionados.

Kinda like Fallout in that regard. Most people feel that while Fallout 3 had its problems, it wasn't too terrible, but die-hard Fallout fans tended to hate it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Young-Master-Zero
Initiate

Drool wrote: February 1st, 2020, 1:55 pmAlso, I think a lot of the storyline and design complaints are from die-hard Wasteland aficionados.
Yeah I saw a thread on another forum called "Wasteland 2 ending has major plot holes" or something like that which was really critical of the game so i was on the fence.
Freebird. Mantra of the moron.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Okay, refreshed my memory on that thread, and yeah, it's pedantic grognard complaining (which I say with love). On a casual playthrough, it's largely fine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

It was pretty fun. Agree with Drool, most of the complaints from us Wasteland fans are around it not being Wasteland enough, rather than it being a bad game in general....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
kilobug
Adventurer
badge image for 3rz1is.png
badge image for wl3badge.png

I really enjoyed it (and finished it 3 times). There a few flaws (a few minor bugs, and some lack of balancing between weapons/armor, mostly, but nothing crippling), but overall it's a great party-based RPG, with some interesting quests/locations/characters, lots of tiny details making the world "alive", and a solid combat system.

But I never played Wasteland 1 so I can't say how wasteland-ish it is.
Gizmo
Grandmaster

kilobug wrote: February 4th, 2020, 12:40 am But I never played Wasteland 1 so I can't say how wasteland-ish it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5q ... 6E726A508F

*I must have watched this completely through at least three times already.
Etagloc
Novice

I really liked wasteland 2, and had enough fun to complete it twice. Once on release and once on Def edition.

I will say that the Def really did improve the over all game, so that is what you should be playing.
Grohal
Master

Wasteland 2 is a very decent game. It is far from bad, and for me it is the best RPG InXile has yet delivered.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Mole204
Explorer

Worth playing? WL2 has some rough patches, some planning errors, but it's an OK game. You'll have to accept that mistakes were made, and not just the brutality. (Hey, it's a post-Doom game shelf out there.) But if a few gameplay vids and demos don't turn you away, you might have a bit of fun with it. It's long, it's adventurous, and at it's core it's enjoyable. I suggest considering Wl2 when RPG shopping.
ateran
Initiate

I haven't played wasteland 1, but I have wasteland 2 and it's a blast. Well written dialogue, with some pretty funny moments. The game is fun yet difficult. It's quite unforgiving but extremely enjoyable. I think it's pretty underrated.

Return to “Wasteland 2: General Discussion”