What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

phimseto
Adventurer

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by phimseto » August 12th, 2019, 9:21 am

Played both as well, Paul, and enjoyed them as well. I need to replay Detroit because, taking a full-on "robots are not real beings" approach causes the player to apparently miss a LOT of gameplay. :-D

PinkerZ
Initiate

Post by PinkerZ » August 12th, 2019, 10:46 am

I'm playing Wasteland 2 and trying to save up to buy some power armor in California. While I work on that I bought Fallout 76 for when I have enough of Wasteland from time to time. Wasteland is interesting, but i'm not used to playing that type of game. It's fun though

Anybody play Fallout 76 on Xbox?

Flanker_27
Initiate

Post by Flanker_27 » August 25th, 2019, 8:47 am

Right now, I'm "playing" "the Sims" while looking at houses for sale in Alicante , trying to find one that both I and my wife like, and I swear Dark Souls is easier :lol: on a more serious note, I sadly haven't played Wasteland for a couple weeks (I might play a little tomorrow though), as I recently got my hands on Ace Combat 7.
Last edited by Flanker_27 on September 11th, 2019, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 25th, 2019, 9:14 am

I am on the last battle of Druidstone.

(Great game)

Highwayman667
Acolyte

Post by Highwayman667 » September 9th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Thief 2: The Metal Age.

First time ever playing this game. Completely dissapointed... NOT.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 15th, 2019, 1:08 am

Obscurely, despite owning every other one in the franchise, I am finally playing GTA 5.

Its been a while for me between GTA games... so its actually been a lot of fun. I also like the multi character story mechanic.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » September 16th, 2019, 3:45 am

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

While grafically and with sound absolutely obsolete, I still enjoy the story and the game mechanics. If you had fun with other games from Spiderweb Software you should really give it a try.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Got my copy of Stygian and I've been playing it a bit.

The interaction with the game feels a little odd, almost like a point-n-click adventure game. I mean, it's very much an RPG, but I can't quite shake that PnC feeling. The art is a little odd, feeling like it was heavily inspired by Edward Gorey. I like it, but it took a little getting used to. The game also desperately needs a manual. You can hit F1 to get UI information in and out of combat, but I would really prefer even a short manual to read, especially with things like casting spells half hidden in a radial wheel you have to pull up specifically.

It's also completely unforgiving. There's an Angst system, which seems to be a bar that fills like Experience, but, apparently, as it levels up, you get various bad effects (like anti-Perks and decreased experience gain). Fleeing from battle gives you Angst, but so does winning fights. There's also a (very) rudimentary food and rest system (doesn't seem to be a visible clock though, so you get kind of surprised when those things crop up). Near as I can tell, stealth builds are the way to go, at least while you're learning the game. I've been in about ten or so fights and only won one of them. And not for failure on tactics; there's no cover system, it's kind of just slugging it out.

For saves, it works on a soft Iron Man system. At any point (except maybe mid-fight), you can Save And Exit the game, so you can stop playing whenever you wish without losing progress. Otherwise, the only saving that happens is auto-saves, which are dropped every time you load into a new zone. This does allow for mild save scumming, but you have to be willing to replay from when you entered the zone (not too bad when I accidentally pissed off a shopkeep, more so when I bollocksed up some exploration). Combats also don't appear to use a seed method like XCOM does, so if a battle goes spectacularly bad, you can restart it (there's a specific "Restart Battle" option).

It's a pretty unforgiving game, but so far, most combat has been completely avoidable, so it's not as grinding as, say, Darkest Dungeon. So far, I've been enjoying it. There's a few typos and weird syntax, and it's a little rough at points, but that's all as would be expected from a small studio. Assuming it maintains its current quality level, it's a solid B+.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 3rd, 2019, 5:38 am

Just finished Seven: The Days Long Gone Enhanced Edition.

I loved most of it. It's a little buggy, especially with save game loading which is annoying because you die... a... lot.
The story is good and I liked it enough to play it twice, so that says something.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 7th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Wasteland.

On a C64 emulator. Damn, but that color palette is great.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 4th, 2019, 6:12 am

Disco Elysium - what an awesome game!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 4th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Never heard of it. What's it like?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 4th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I saw that advertised the other night and I raised my eyebrow at it.... I'd love a bit of a review as well...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 4th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Well Disco Elysium (formerly while in development known as "No truce with the furries") is - more an Point & Click Adventure with (masses of) skill checks than your average RPG - that first.

And before anything else: If you don't want (or can't) read a lot of text, most of it without voice over, in (only) english - this game is not for you.

But boy, that writing shoots anything out of the water that hit us since Planescape Torment. You gotta read a lot in this game, like REALLY a lot, and it is "slow play" - but last weekend I played it roughly 30 hours and was not bored one second of it.
It is hillarious sometimes, ok most of the time, but really sad at other times.
Beside the writing it is the music that really gives every location even more deepth. It is the type of game you thought was lost forever...

Story:

You wake up in a hotel room and, through heavy drinking and drug abuse have no idea who you are, why you are here etc. You talk to your reptilian brain and other parts of your body and mind - like they are your party.

You not only have to find out who you are but also who you were before things turned to shit in your life. Turns out with time you are an old cop that got hit by life really hard and was sent to solve a murder in this district. Nothing is like it seems in the beginning - so many twists and turns and many, many side quests. And beside solving this murder you (can or cannot) try to get back a piece of normality in your live.

My advise: maybe watch some youtube videos/let's plays (there are not much though) and see if this rings a long forgotten bell in you. :)

The reviews worldwide are mostly 90%+, check the Steam and/or GOG reviews they are also mostly (also >90%) positive.

Here is a "first 26 minutes"-video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAiaY1YC3F4

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » November 10th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Grohal wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:12 am
Disco Elysium - what an awesome game!
Yeah!
I'm playing it too and have a blast!
Its a really great game.