End of inXile games for Linux?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

shmerl
Explorer

End of inXile games for Linux?

Post by shmerl » October 2nd, 2019, 9:51 pm

According to MS PR announcement (by Aaron Greenberg):
Thinking about the next game from Obsidian, InXile or Ninja Theory, all those studios, just like our existing internal studios, whether it’s 343 or Turn 10, they’re going to be focused on making those games for our platforms. So we have no plans to expand any of those exclusive first-party titles to any other consoles,” Greenberg states categorically to us.

<...>

We’ve been able to work with Steam so that we’re enabling that community to also be able to play across Windows 10 and console.
Only Windows 10 is mentioned in addition, and no other store besides Steam. So most likely it means axing GOG and Linux releases?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: End of inXile games for Linux?

Post by Gizmo » October 3rd, 2019, 12:02 am

That would effectively end my purchasing any future titles from them... I won't own a console, won't buy directly from Steam; typically only buy from GoG....and am probably going to be forced over to Linux with the Sunsetting of Windows 7. :evil:

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » October 3rd, 2019, 5:10 am

I was afraid this was coming, but still very sad to see... and indeed, it would be for me too the end of buying inXile games - I'll never buy from Steam or any other DRM-loaded distribution platform, and while I occasionally do buy Windows-only game if they work well with wine, it's more the exception than the rule, and only for cheap ($10 or below) games. If someone wants more of my money, they'll have to make the game for my operating system of choice, (Debian GNU/)Linux.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 3rd, 2019, 9:21 am

Would be good for inXile to say something explicit about it to clarify it either way. Coming from them it would be more clear than from MS PR rep saying ambiguous statements.

@phimseto, @TheQuestionMark?

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » October 9th, 2019, 11:44 am

That would mean the end of me being an InXile customer as well. DRM stores are a non-starter for many of us, and Windows is becoming more and more like malware.

I don't suppose there's a great deal of hope, but it would be great if InXile tried to argue for MS allowing InXile continue to "do its thing". I'm sure there are some people playing on Windows who won't buy games from Steam either, or who object to OS monopolies even if they must use Windows for some reason, and thus chose to support studios like InXile who have been friendly to consumer choice and control.

I'm enjoying BT4 and would certainly buy a future BT5... but not at the expense of supporting DRM-using stores or installing spyware.