What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by Zombra » July 30th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Ah! A mediocre game played co-op with a good friend is a good game. Enjoy :D

immagikman
Scholar

Post by immagikman » July 30th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Zombra wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 3:10 pm
Ah! A mediocre game played co-op with a good friend is a good game. Enjoy :D
I was actually considering Elex until my brother pointed out...its single player only so perhaps Ill try it for me and do Anthem with him

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 31st, 2018, 4:49 am

Been playing Vampyr (Not sure why they spell it that way.) and although it received a lot of official praise, people like myself have been giving bad reviews. Of course, I haven't reviewed it yet. I figured I give it a descent chance since by now, it's too late to refund. It reminds me of a severely budgeted Dishonoured. They even share a fast movement ability that is really just so ultra fast it's look like a short teleport. Graphically it's a little worse than the other game and not sure why I was so blind in purchasing, but it was on sale for the weekend I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. In a video I watched of the game the BC describes the combat as not so much broken as just very hard to do. While general movement is very clunky, maybe this is deliberate to make the player work harder. While something make perfect sense like making world war two veteran and doctor into a vampire who could use his work as the perfect place to feed from. (Of course, he does this for the benefit of his work as well, So what if he sacrifices a few to save many.) Yet, he also does some amateur detective work, and shows his capacity to be very blunt in his investigation.

For those special fans of Vampire the Masquerade, you may find some of the terminology doesn't quite match up (Not that it has to be.) like when embracing a mere mortal is really just a fancy word for killing them by draining all their blood & not siring them. Still the game is better than Bloodlines and Redemption. It does show that games have progressed this far at least, but there is still room for a lot of improvement. I was expecting a game with more social powers and not so much awkward fighting.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 31st, 2018, 2:13 pm

Probably because Dontnod Entertainment is a French company.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » August 1st, 2018, 12:06 pm

Talking of Vampyr. Sorry, I was so mean to this game at first. It's definitely better now in it own established way. That was before I got past my first game boss, the game slowly opens up as you play it more and it's not a lot of fun. I just found boring before at the beginning once the main character got settled into his new job.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 15th, 2018, 1:37 pm

With the recent Rimworld update I am re-addicted. Since it's a sandbox game with no hard goals, I decided to make my own. Using the Prepare Carefully mod I created a whole cast of characters, each with their own agenda. Link to the profile sheet I assembled before beginning play.

Also just picked up Lamplight City, excellent looking detective game. Haven't really come to grips with it yet but very much looking forward to the detective mechanics and "fail forward" paradigm (you can get a case wrong and continue to play).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 15th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I randomly started playing my copy of Dragon Age 2.

It's okay.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 16th, 2018, 7:34 pm

I keep coming back to Kenshi.... I have a rather successful Outpost now, and can fight off most of the weaker roaming bands of miscreants.
Finally managed to get one of my characters with enough lockpick to be able to raid ruins and break into chests for those precious ancient texts and engineering research options.

I'm thinking of building up my away team with a more combat bent (versus stealth at the moment) and raiding the Dust bandits and Bands of bones groups. If I can get tough enough I might even try and take out some Holy nation scum.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 16th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Today I tried out Satellite Reign. So far... it visually appears like a better Shadowrun—sans magic, and the fantasy races; although there is a Magic Wand skill... and I've not yet seen what it is for. It seems a bit GTA-like, with a sectional unlocking city, and sparse player direction.

On the whole... interesting so far; but I am only about 40 minutes in.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Been playing a lot of "Age of Mythology" lately and was perplexed when the designated enemy took this relic during one of my last games. I was gob-smacked, my jaw dropped....

I didn't bother putting a circle around it, you can recognise that name!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm
In my first game of Baldur's Gate 2, I had a dwarf join the party, and when I looked at his character sheet... I saw that he had the same last name as my character—imported from BG1. I actually got someone from Black Isle on the phone and asked him if that was some kind of bug—or a feature. He looked it up, and—as one might expect, it wasn't; that was just the name that they had also come up with. But it was an odd coincidence.

**The name of the Dwarf was Korgan Bloodaxe; my PC's name was Kraven Bloodaxe; it would have been even stranger had I named him Kragan. :lol:

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 17th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Gizmo wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 4:05 pm
Orpheus the Bard wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm
In my first game of Baldur's Gate 2, I had a dwarf join the party, and when I looked at his character sheet... I saw that he had the same last name as my character—imported from BG1. I actually got someone from Black Isle on the phone and asked him if that was some kind of bug—or a feature. He looked it up, and—as one might expect, it wasn't; that was just the name that they had also come up with. But it was an odd coincidence.

**The name of the Dwarf was Korgan Bloodaxe; my PC's name was Kraven Bloodaxe; it would have been even stranger had I named him Kragan. :lol:
For me it's less of coincidence if the name is also well known in Greek Mythogy. Although I was still shocked to see it in the game like it was.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 22nd, 2018, 2:25 am

Guess.....

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 22nd, 2018, 5:16 am

I've stared Vampyr. Lovely victorian atmosphere so far, intertwined with obnoxious unskippable cut-scenes that seem to go on for centuries.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 23rd, 2018, 11:10 pm

Show me your build, I might be able to help you.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 24th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Dead by Daylight.

A bunch of my mates had been playing it for a while and it came on sale the other night so I picked it up.

If you like your Horror movies, and objective based gameplay where combat is not the goal, then it's a good game.

Essentially you play either the Killer (Based on a variety of different horror movie tropes if not on an actual horror movie killer) or one of 4 survivors.

The goal of the survivors is to start some generators to get the door open so they can escape. The goal of the killer is to sacrifice the survivors to a dark betentacled god.

Very atmospheric, (recommended to play in a dark room) the inability to fight back as a survivor makes the frantic fleeing all the more exciting.

Only 2 gripes, first is that it has lots of DLC. So the price for a fullish game adds up. But most of the DLC gives you a new killer with lots of flavour and different abilities, as well as extra maps, and survivors who also have different abilities and flavour.

The other gripe is that there is NO single player. This is a multiplayer game only.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Alandra
Initiate

Post by Alandra » September 25th, 2018, 8:42 am

I've currently been sinking a lot of time into Fallout 3 as of late. I'm mostly biding my time until Red Dead Redemption 2 gets released here soon. I absolutely loved Red Dead Redemption but have never gotten around to playing Red Dead Revolver. Perhaps one day I will.
~ "You got lives in you. Hard to kill. Storm, bullets, sand, and wind, yet still you walk."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 28th, 2018, 5:51 pm

So I finished Dragon Age 2.

My general reaction was, "wait, that's it?"

I enjoyed it well enough, but it doesn't feel complete. Or rather, it feels like an anthology. Or a short story collection. It's like "Three Stories of Hawke" as opposed to a unified game. And the stakes felt shockingly low. I mean, big for Kirkwall, sure, but somewhat minor on the grand scale. Especially the endgame.

It almost feels like a 40 hour prelude to some other game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

upshrawns
Initiate

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by upshrawns » October 10th, 2018, 11:34 am

Zombra wrote:
November 5th, 2013, 6:42 pm
I'm all over the place.

Last couple days, I've been replaying Omerta: City of Gangsters.

I have a Wizardry 8 party (complete with a new set of custom animated portraits) that I spent a couple weeks with, but I'm slowing down on that.

I just bought Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut, and that is fantastic, but the PC version keeps crashing. Waiting for a patch. I'm thinking of picking up State of Decay to fill the void.

Occasionally I will jump in to Saints Row IV to kill another Warden to work on the achievement, because that game is so fun, but I finished the main story a long time ago so it's sadly a momentary time killer.

FTL: Faster Than Light. It seems like every weekend I have to try at least once to get that damn flagship on Normal difficulty. Still haven't managed it. Also want to unlock all the different ships; I only have about half of them so far.

Just starting to get back into Team Fortress 2. Dabbling in Gotham City Impostors again as well.

Recently bought Hitman: Absolution despite the negatives in the reviews. I almost started playing it tonight but had to eat dinner.

I also reinstalled Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive recently. Great game! So good, but I don't want to start another playthrough until I finish with Omerta again.

I play most of my games through Steam ... feel free to friend me if you want to be notified what I'm playing at any moment ...

Thanks for the link.