What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

sear
Developer

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by sear » March 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Finished up Salt and Sanctuary tonight. The game more than successfully captures the spirit of a Souls game, but it's also got enough new ideas and twists to really make it stand out as its own thing. Had a great time, and it totally scratched my itch for this kind of game. For a core team of just a couple of people, it's really impressive how expansive and well put together the whole experience is.

I also picked up Dead Cells after hearing good things. I guess my "2D Soulslike" binge isn't over yet. I've only put a few hours in, but damn, this game might have some of the best-feeling action I've ever played, and is addictive and gorgeous to look at as well. Really looking forward to putting more time into it.

Cipher
Acolyte

Post by Cipher » March 14th, 2018, 4:07 am

World or Warcraft and Wasteland 2 DC

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 16th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Friend of mine got me a copy of Deep Rock Galactic which is currently in Early Access. It's... it's interesting. Space Dwarf Mining while shooting giant bugs. It's a little bumpy right now and needs some tweaking and balancing, but it's pretty good for Early Access. That said, while you can play single player, it's a game that really works best multiplayer. And probably best with a full team of 4.

As opposed to, say, Payday 2 which works just fine in single player.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » April 3rd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Decided to play what I paid for and booted up Mass Effect: Andromeda from the beginning. Discovered I probably had only played 5% of the game when I first got it, so it's pretty much all brand new.

Still playing.

After this, I'm going back to finishing Breath of the Wild.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 3rd, 2018, 6:13 pm

Eschalon Book one, and I suppose Tyranny... although I stopped playing it pretty early, and started playing Eschalon.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 9th, 2018, 6:26 am

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. It's good! I've only had time to check it out for an hour or so, but I'm definitely enjoying it. Liking the characters, the updated visuals are gorgeous, and overall it's just a more refined version of what was already a very good RPG.

BATTLETECH. I like it. I'm not really familiar with the property, but of course I'm a fan of the developer's previous work. Once again, only had an hour and a bit to play, but the mechanics are pretty fun so far and it seems they've managed to make a pretty complicated ruleset easy to digest even for someone who hasn't played the tabletop game.

Frostpunk. I've put a little more time into this than the others, and same deal - I like it. There is a very strong commitment to its theme and style. I'm not a huge city-builder kind of guy, but the game feels like just the right scope and has great pacing in how it rolls out its different scenarios and mechanics.

We really are in an oasis of great games right now. Feels like there is something for everyone. I wish I had time to play all of them fully. :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 9th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Battletech.... I imagine that will be what I play for a while... I even upgraded to a bigger SSD in order to play it better ...
It is Goooooood.... They have a done a good job of translating Tabletop to Computer game. It's turn based, but doesn't feel slow, and the setting fits the universe without it feeling "forced".... BIG STOMPY FUN!!!!

I'm keen on getting Frostpunk at some point. I like the concept and the world, and was a big fan of "This war of mine"
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » May 10th, 2018, 6:26 am

sear wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 6:26 am
We really are in an oasis of great games right now. Feels like there is something for everyone. I wish I had time to play all of them fully. :)
Make your expectations higher. If there is drama too like at Obsidian, use that as an excuse not to play their games too. All of a sudden you have too much time. :P

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » May 12th, 2018, 5:34 am

Right now Battletech und Pillars 2.
I like the Games and think i'll have a lot of fun with both of them the next Weeks.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 17th, 2018, 4:47 am

Like pretty much everyone else, I'm also currently dividing my time between BattleTech and PoE2. :P

I'm loving them both, though I do feel like BattleTech loses a lot of momentum once you get maybe halfway through the campaign and start hitting three-star contracts. I've found myself spending a little more time with PoE2 lately.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » May 18th, 2018, 10:01 am

Slowly making my way through Grim Fandango and trying to start a playthrough of Fallout 2. I want to play with the unofficial patch and restoration project this time, but it doesn't seem to work with the GOG version of the game or at least the GOG Galaxy installation of the game in Windows 7. Going to try it without the client.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 18th, 2018, 10:30 am

I work some crazy hours, but I've chosen to make life difficult for myself playing PoE2 until preposterously late hours. Really enjoying it and appreciating all the ways large and small it's serving as a direct sequel to the first game. I may have to take a break to play some State of Decay 2, as I promised my cousin I would co-op the game with him.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 18th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Terraria and Warframe because I don't do anything right. And Darkness Within 2 because I'm recording a playthrough for reasons which I no longer remember. Probably because I did the first one.

Actually, I'm just waiting to have time to concentrate to play more Battletech and I have absolutely zero interest in PoE2.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 22nd, 2018, 11:26 am

I'm finally getting around to playing Witcher 3. I'm very impressed and really enjoying it. Geralt is a rare and precious find: a video game protagonist I actually like. I'm sort of overwhelmed because there's so much to do in the game ... gotta discipline myself to stick to the main quest or I'll never finish the damn thing.

Also spending way too much time making custom wrestlers in Fire Pro Wrestling World and making them battle each other like pokemon. Once I get 32 wrestlers made I'm going to stage a huge tag team tournament and upload the whole thing.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm

I need to play that game.

I've had it installed since release, but I've never left the tutorial grounds.

It's just too irritatingly different from The Witcher (1); just like with The Witcher 2. Both disappointed me for that reason.
(...that, and the loss of complex alchemy, combat fighting styles, the 3D/Isometric camera, point & click ease of navigation, combat jumping/dodge on demand, and common sense potion use.) :evil: :evil:

CDProjekt lost me as a fan for that; their conversion of the franchise into a near FPP, puppet-slash-fest.

Now I'm remembering why I stopped playing Witcher 2, and 3.

I don't think I'm going to bother playing that game. :|
(But I might replay the Witcher.)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm

Sad if you miss a good game just because it's not enough like the original. Both Witcher 2 and 3 stand on their own merits.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 22nd, 2018, 3:44 pm

Zombra wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm
Sad if you miss a good game just because it's not enough like the original. Both Witcher 2 and 3 stand on their own merits.
The same can be said of FO3, & FO4; and WL2, and BT4... :roll:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 22nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

Gizmo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 3:44 pm
Zombra wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm
The same can be said of FO3, & FO4; and WL2, and BT4... :roll:
You didn't enjoy Wasteland 2? Shame, you missed another great game. BT4 is shaping up to be good too. Personally, once I let go of the fact that it wasn't Fallout 1, I enjoyed a lot about Fallout 3 (and yes, there is a lot to complain about ... on its own merits or lack thereof). Fallout 4 though, that's clearly just not for me.

None of this has anything to do with the franchise names on the covers. Must be weird living in a world where the name on the box is more important than how good the product is. :cry:

But if you have a good time replaying Witcher 1, rad. Great game.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 22nd, 2018, 8:29 pm

Zombra wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 6:48 pm
You didn't enjoy Wasteland 2? Shame, you missed another great game.
...And of course, I didn't say that; you assume it. ;)

It is the case that they all stand on their own —very different from their predecessor's— merits. These days, with games... "The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree", has become, "somewhere along the way down... the Apple became an Avocado".
BT4 is shaping up to be good too.
Not from what I have seen; aside from the modeling & environmental design. This was the very same situation with FO3.
Personally, once I let go of the fact that it wasn't [remotely like] Fallout 1, I enjoyed a lot about Fallout 3
That was a big part of why it shouldn't have been allowed the franchise name.

The name on the box is a paramount descriptor...
(...and always should be. If it's going to be that different of a product, then it should have a different name instead of an incremented one.)
Must be weird living in a world where the name on the box is more important than how good the product is. :cry:
It's typically insulting to see the final product; knowing what the name should have implied, or demanded, and seeing it usually being tossed aside by the developers in favor of trends, rather than them extrapolating the original premise to make good use of modern hardware with an incremental follow-up to its famous namesake.

All too often it seems to be, "Let's make a sequel to [game-X]!!"; for instance, Shuffle-Board. They'll make Shuffle-Board 2.0, but wait... The gameplay is boring... who'd play a VR shuffle-board title?
"Ah... but lets make it have power-ups and set it on a course—like mini-golf with challenges to make the score; give it an FPP puck cam; and make it played on motorcycles!"

What you get might be a fine game, but it shouldn't be called Shuffle-Board, because it has little or nothing to do with it.
But if you have a good time replaying Witcher 1, rad. Great game.
It is; and of the three... it is the only one where Geralt truly acts on his own behalf, and isn't the puppet on strings. I was instantly fascinated with the game, and found that it was all discarded in the sequel; in what's become a rather familiar outcome. You'll note that this not only happened with FO3 (of Fallout 2), but also with FO4 (of FO3). :?

The industry seems to be fine with using famous labels to sell barely related contents. Imagine if a publisher had an hundred thousand Filipino language DVDs, and decided that calling them French language DVDs might make them sell better. :x
(The buyer —of course, bought it because of the name on the box.)
Last edited by Gizmo on May 22nd, 2018, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

Gizmo wrote: Imagine if a publisher had an hundred thousand Filipino language DVDs, and decided that calling them French language DVDs might make them sell better.
That's dishonest of you. Fallout 3 wasn't titled "Fallout 3: an Isometric RPG".

I agree that it's uncool to sell something under a misleading name ... but that doesn't mean your product is bad. And despite your annoyance about the title, Witcher 3 is not bad.

Honestly it's about 25 years overdue for gamers to realize a sequel name doesn't mean a similar game.

But - surprise! - we're derailing. So what are you playing this week?