What'cha Playing?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

sear
Developer

Re: What'cha Playing?

Post by sear » October 2nd, 2017, 8:26 am

Jozape wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 10:48 pm
I've actually played through all of SS2. I liked it but SS1 couldn't compete with my interest for other games and game series at the time. The only thing about the game that was really annoying -- taking into consideration its target audience -- was the input latency. That wasn't enough to make the game unplayable though.
Ah, sorry, I might have misunderstood your original post. My bad!

Yeah, System Shock 1 can be tough to go back to. I grew up playing a lot of titles in that era and I still find it a bit clunky now that I'm so used to newer games. The enhanced version that's on GOG definitely helps, but there is an adjustment period for sure.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » October 2nd, 2017, 9:29 am

sear wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 8:26 am
Jozape wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 10:48 pm
I've actually played through all of SS2. I liked it but SS1 couldn't compete with my interest for other games and game series at the time. The only thing about the game that was really annoying -- taking into consideration its target audience -- was the input latency. That wasn't enough to make the game unplayable though.
Ah, sorry, I might have misunderstood your original post. My bad!

Yeah, System Shock 1 can be tough to go back to. I grew up playing a lot of titles in that era and I still find it a bit clunky now that I'm so used to newer games. The enhanced version that's on GOG definitely helps, but there is an adjustment period for sure.
Well if the controls don't differ too much from Ultima Underworld I'm sure it's fine. Have to appreciate the niceties of modern first-person games though. Some aspects of some of them. :p

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 2nd, 2017, 4:49 pm

So I picked up Mad Max on sale.

I have been enjoying it immensely. It just seemed to have hit an "action" spot I didn't realise I was missing.

Getting in the Magnum Opus and hooning around just smashing things and finding stuff. It's very much Grand Theft Auto in post apocalyptia.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 2nd, 2017, 6:36 pm

I liked Mad Max for a while; then it got too "checklisty" for me. Thanks for reminding me about it, though. Might be fun to beat up a few guys again.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 2nd, 2017, 9:22 pm

I can totally see how it would be "checklisty". Literally that is one of the mechanisms for mission progress :lol:

I'm still being surprised by it at the moment,(Got caught out in one of the storms whilst in car for the first time) and chasing down and destroying convoys is still enough of a challenge that I find it fun. But I could see it getting old sooner or later.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 4th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I grabbed the free Fallout on Steam, because, why not?

On the plus side, it can run in 1080, and has an option to double the size so you can actually see things at 1080.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 4th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Does it have kids playing in Shady Sands? (or just dogs)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 5th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Haven't looked.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!