Darkest Dungeon

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Darkest Dungeon

Post by Woolfe » September 13th, 2017, 12:04 am

Finally got round to picking this up.

What a fun little game. Lots of character and story. And difficult without being punishing.

Had my first Party wipe vs a boss last night. Bad luck unfortunately due to the party composition. Lost my front line guy through sheer bad luck, then my second to attrition, which left only one of my 2 backline(now in the front) characters able to actually inflict damage, and minimal at that. So I could only watch as they got whittled away and killed.

Twas a sad occurrence, I was quite fond of 2 of them. I am curious now to see if when I go in with a different party, I will recover any of the gear that they had on them.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Godfather101
Explorer

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Post by Godfather101 » September 13th, 2017, 3:26 am

As far as i know the gear is lost (don't know perhaps they changed something at that end in the last patches/the dlc), but yes, it is a fun rogue like and can be really punishing if you have the wrong party composition and/or the wrong equipment/items with you.
But you'll get better at it. ;)
really enjoyed my time with Darkest Dungeon.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 13th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Yeah it really was the particular combination of characters. I was trying to level them up, and I wasn't thinking about the potential for losing the main hitter.
I was up against the 12 pounder cannon.
It really was bad luck though, I had 2 healers (Occultist and Arbalast) the hitter was a Bounty Hunter. But the occultist heal added only minimal health, and then 2 monsters hit him one after the other, and the second got a death blow on him.
The issue then was that with the Bounty hunter and the Abomination and the Arbalast I was able to kill the guy who could fire the cannon every round. Which meant the cannon couldn't do the enormous hit to everyone. But when I lost the BH, whilst I could still kill the Cannon shooter dude, I couldn't guarantee to kill all the others. Which started to mess with the hitting the actual cannon bit. So it became a matter of time until either I managed to kill the cannon or they got another of my guys. Unfortunately they whittled me down with burst fire from the musket bandit, and slice and dice. All 3 of my guys went into deaths door, and then they got my abomination.
After that it was all over but the screaming.

So now I am rebuilding my Occultist BH and Arbalast. Haven't got a new Abomination yet though. Am using a slightly different skillset on the Occultist, to make him more useful in conjunction with the BH and at close range.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 13th, 2017, 6:47 pm

As far as I know, all the DLC altered (aside from new content) is that money is a little less tight in the beginning.

A little.

It's still brutally unforgiving. It's one of those games that I dearly love, but don't actually like playing too often.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 13th, 2017, 7:24 pm

I'm really enjoying it. But I haven't really pushed hard on the higher level stuff yet. I am trying to get most of my characters to at least resolve 5 first.
And of course saving up the resources to get my skills and equipment upgraded... That's the biggest pain point...

I hadn't checked the wiki or anything for it until today, so have been pretty much learning as I go. I have been missing a lot of bonus gear from using items on the Curios.

The Traits and their accompanying conversation text give such a great feel to the game.

I do love that my Crusader who could only Pray. Immediately got "Nymphomaniac" as a positive trait :lol:

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » September 14th, 2017, 1:33 am

Yeah, i would recommend checking the wiki frequently in the beginning, especially for the curios.
It makes the whole thing a LITTLE bit easier.

But still you got a lot to learn.
But it will get easier.
But don't take on the bosses with not good equipped or not leveld enough chars.
For them go all in with everything you got. ;)

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 16th, 2017, 8:03 am

I didn't like it much. Every playthrough is fun for a first couple of hours, but eventually the feature bloat and artificial difficulty start to get on my nerves.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » September 17th, 2017, 4:01 am

Godfather101 wrote:
September 14th, 2017, 1:33 am
Yeah, i would recommend checking the wiki frequently in the beginning, especially for the curios.
I would advise *against* checking anything on the wiki for the first playthrough ;)
I had a lot of fun discovering by myself how to get the best out of curios, how to manage stress and health, how do enemies work…

I guess it all comes down to personal taste, and the time you’re ready to invest into the game.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 17th, 2017, 7:11 pm

vv221 wrote:
September 17th, 2017, 4:01 am
Godfather101 wrote:
September 14th, 2017, 1:33 am
I would advise *against* checking anything on the wiki for the first playthrough ;)
I had a lot of fun discovering by myself how to get the best out of curios, how to manage stress and health, how do enemies work…

I guess it all comes down to personal taste, and the time you’re ready to invest into the game.
That's pretty much what I had been doing. I just hadn't bothered "testing" items on the curios.

Everything else I was managing pretty well.

Just lost Reynald and Dismas in a boss fight last night... Fortunately I had a better group so the last 2 were able to finish the boss off.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 18th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I found the game pretty fun for a while. Note that it never occurred to me to act like a munchkin, i.e. use an all-Hellion team or whatever the kids are saying is stupidly overpowered these days. When played for fun, it is fun. :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 18th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Zombra wrote:
September 18th, 2017, 12:18 pm
I found the game pretty fun for a while. Note that it never occurred to me to act like a munchkin, i.e. use an all-Hellion team or whatever the kids are saying is stupidly overpowered these days. When played for fun, it is fun. :)
Didn't occur to me either :lol: I always had different characters mixed in simply cause it looks cool.

Munchkins will always find a way :roll: :lol:

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 30th, 2017, 6:48 am

I really need to go back and play more of this now that it's finished (and getting some expansion content). I loved the early access experience and ended up going on a binge when I first picked it up, but I'd be really curious to see how it's changed since then.