Grimrock clones

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Grimrock clones

Post by Crosmando » June 18th, 2017, 7:01 am

As the old saying goes, "A game is successful and clones proliferate", and so I just found out that there's quite a few new games on Steam which I can only describe as Grimrock clones.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49250 ... ey_Tavern/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/37550 ... _Andokost/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32904 ... _the_Moon/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/40945 ... Guardians/

And these are only the ones I could find after a quick search. All of them seem low-budget. Shame I will never play any of them because Dungeon Master combat is not fun :cry: Also I guess I can understand why InXile are so desperate for BT4 to appear "unique" now.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Grimrock clones

Post by Drool » June 18th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I've played this one, actually.

It's not exactly a Grimrock clone. You can't really do the Eye of the Beholder Two-Step like Grimrock was built around. It's not a bad little crawler, but the UI is atrocious. Feels very much like a touch interface ported to PC.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 14th, 2017, 2:17 am

Have anyone tried Darkest Dungeon? It is a completely different but interesting take on the classic dungeon crawler formula. And If so what do you think ?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 14th, 2017, 11:44 am

Remo wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 2:17 am
Have anyone tried Darkest Dungeon? It is a completely different but interesting take on the classic dungeon crawler formula. And If so what do you think ?
It's got some great atmosphere and some interesting mechanics, but it can also get very repetitive very quickly. There are some mechanics built into the game that seem deliberately designed just to drag the game out far longer than necessary, which leads to more repetition, especially later in the game.

It's also very heavily reliant on a lot of RNG, so I'd say it depends on your level of tolerance for that sort of thing. It can definitely make things very unpredictable.

I do hear that the new expansion was apparently very poorly received, though. So I might suggest just grabbing the core game and skipping the expansion until they've worked out some of the kinks.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 14th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Easily the most Lovecraftian game I've ever played. Not so much for the monsters, but for the utterly hopeless feeling.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » July 14th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Darkest Dungeon is a great game.
Also, the "dragging on for long time" was fixed several months ago with the radiant update.
With that you don't need to do the whole repetition thingie anymore.

The new Expansion is also great, BUT mixed in several new mechanics and thus for is not as easy to play for veteran players as they thought.
The whole dungeon Mechanic in the crimson court was revamped and don't follow the same rules as the normal dungeons do.
also, one mistake some veteran players did was going to the crimson court too early, as it is opened nearly right from the beginning.
You should take your time, level your team and then try the new mechanics in the crimson court.
That are the reasons why the crimson court expansion was received poorly by many players, but that is not the fault of the game, its more a wrong perspective of veteran players who thought going to the crimson court would be more of the same and they would not have much trouble going through.

Last thing, yeah, Darkest Dungeon relies in a way on RNG, like most Rogue-Likes do.
I don't think its TOO bad, but sometimes the rng screws with you and then you must live with that.
Best thing is to take a look if you like Rogue-Likes.
If yes, then Darkest Dungeon could be a game for you.
If no, i don't think you would have fun with it. ^^