Unofficial German Hotfix

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Hoek
Initiate

Unofficial German Hotfix

Post by Hoek » October 2nd, 2014, 11:28 am

Unofficial Hotfix for Wasteland 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still valid for "Wasteland 2 Patch 2 (58347)" /Immer noch gültig für "Wasteland 2 Patch 2 (58347)"!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After comparing the latest "Main_de" with my Hotfix I quickly discoverd the absence of important asterisks.
I have not checked it word by word, but I don´t think much has been changed in the lines I processed.
Download:
http://freakshare.com/files/hd0j13ct/WL ... 1.zip.html
Mirror:
http://www.filedropper.com/wl2uogermanhotfixv1

Install:
Since this file replaces the original texts, it has to be deleted manually if an official update is released.
To indicate the usage of this hotfix, it displays "German Hotfix v.1.0" in the "Red Boots DLC"-box of the mainscreen.

Extract the contents of the archive in your Wasteland 2 installation folder.

Standard Installationpaths:
Steam: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2\
GOG.com: C:\GOG Games\Wasteland 2\

In the installation folder of Wasteland 2 the following will be created:
"\Build\WL2_Data\Localization\Main_de.txt"

Uninstall:

Delete Main_de.txt from "\Build\WL2_Data\Localization\"

Installation:
Da die Datei die originalen Texte ersetzt, muß sie bei erscheinen eines offiziellen Updates manuell gelöscht werden.
Um auf einen Blick die Verwendung des Hotfixes zu erkennen, wird "German Hotfix v.1.0" im "Rote Stiefel DLC"-Kasten
des Hauptbildschirms angezeigt.

Entpacke den Inhalt des Archives in den Wasteland 2 Installationsordner

Standard Installationspfade:
Steam: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2\
GOG.com: C:\GOG Games\Wasteland 2\

Im Wasteland 2 Installationsordner wird dann folgendes erstellt:
"\Build\WL2_Data\Localization\Main_de.txt"

Deinstallation:

Lösche Main_de.txt aus "\Build\WL2_Data\Localization\"

Notes:

As kind of an apprentice piece I created a hotfix for the german localization of Wasteland 2.

Focus was on fixing the missing text issues, which mainly are located in the correct usage of asterisks,
judging from what I've seen so far.

Small explanation:
Asterisks enclose Keywords which generate buttons in the conversation UI, so if a keyword is broken,
because of the uncorrect usage of asterisks or the keywords within a translation pair are in a wrong order
the button won't appear and the dialogue and the users only option would be to press the "Good-bye Button".

Missing asterisks are the reason for the well known "Takayuki bug", btw.

Detailed explanation of the translation standards here:
http://www.inxile-entertainment.com/pro ... _Agreement

What I did:
1: Very first step was to rip out the patch 1 (56458) version of the German localization from the games guts.
2: Afterwards I compared the amount of astrisks used in every translation pair,
that means if the key string or the display string had an unequal amount of asterisks,
I took that pair out for a closer look, as the key string should be the English display string.
3: Based on that selection, I processed 311 lines in total. Most of them containing at least one broken keyword.
4: Changes in text are mostly minor like corrected errors in spelling or grammar,
although I've read them all and they should be alright I can't guarantee the correctness,
as told before my focus was on missing text.
5: I had to rewrite a few passages which either were absolutely not understandable,
or it wasn't possible to keep the same amount of keywords like the english template has in them,
because of poor translation.
6: created a file, following the standard given by the french localization update file.

I havn't gone through every single keyword regarding the order because, like I previously explained,
I took out translation pairs only, the astrisks did not match in. What should be comprehended,
facing a over 200000 lines text file in a fun project.

There are quite likly still issues regarding missing text (maybe I missed a few, but I shouldn't)
but it should be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Nevertheless I highly recommend to use English instead of German language as in it's current state
the German localization isn't...let's say...quite satisfying, regarding a continous usage of names
and the partially very poor translation. Some parts of the German translation are quite ok, actually.
But ...I think you know what I mean.

Persons who can't deal very well with the English version of the game,
should be pleased to use this hotfix, though.
For sure, it would be a acceptable meantime solution for them.

Therefore I decided to ask if I´m allowed to provide this to the community.

I don't dare to publish this hotfix without permission.
I don't even dare to post my detailed changelog which I created alongside.
I assure that I neither publish this anywhere till I'm allowed to,
nor that I wish to upload this somewhere else than in this forums.

Well, how's it about it? Am I allowed to post this hotfix here?

Cheers to all
Last edited by Hoek on October 16th, 2014, 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sabatasso
Acolyte

Re: Unofficial German Hotfix

Post by Sabatasso » October 2nd, 2014, 1:09 pm

Great initiative. It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission! :D

I'm not German but I totally support the initiative. I wish someone would fix numerous other bugs unofficially as well tbh.
Tired of being tracked by google?
https://duckduckgo.com/
Spread the word!

Hoek
Initiate

Post by Hoek » October 3rd, 2014, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the credit.
If there won't be response within the next days, I'll beg for forgiveness. :D

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 4th, 2014, 12:10 pm

There's already several user mods available in the Community Forums
inXile doesn't mind posting of game mods.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

ammonit
Initiate

Post by ammonit » October 6th, 2014, 12:25 am

wäre echt toll wenn du den fix hier verlinken kannst.
hatte gerade die selbe idee, die derzeitige deutsche übersetzung ist ja totaler mist :/

Nucleartus
Initiate

Post by Nucleartus » October 16th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Well done!

So i could enjoy it in german, too.

Da war es schon aus mit meinem Englisch. ;) Ich hoffe mal da wird noch von Seiten inXile etwas gemacht.
Aber Hoek, mit Deinem Hotfix kann man echt super die Deutsche Version spielen.
Vielen Dank dafür.

Gruss

Nucleartus