Wasteland 2 - Online Ranger Creation Toolkit

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

McDougle
Adventurer

Re: Wasteland 2 - Ranger Creation Online Toolkit

Post by McDougle » October 4th, 2014, 12:12 am

Really grand would be to have those hovering intel boxes when allocating Attributes. I like to see directly what I get (it is rather cumbersome to check the whole list for changes).
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 4th, 2014, 2:28 am

McDougle wrote:Really grand would be to have those hovering intel boxes when allocating Attributes. I like to see directly what I get (it is rather cumbersome to check the whole list for changes).
Ok, will see what I can do on monday... I must admit I have a soft spot for floating tool tips.... appeals to my inner nerd. ;) Prolly will take a break for a day or two before I make any more changes, just to let the dust settle. Hopefully will get some more traffic as people start to link their own builds.

Cheers,

Koth

frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx » October 4th, 2014, 7:51 am

Really nice work!

I would like a feature to set the level of the created char, so that you arent limited to only create starting PCs. Then it would also allow to kinda plan how your ppl would look like in later levels - with the additional skill and attribute points.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » October 4th, 2014, 11:23 am

http 500 error :/

EDIT: back up!

fedprod
Novice

Post by fedprod » October 4th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Hooray, export function ^^

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 4th, 2014, 3:38 pm

frozyx wrote:Really nice work!

I would like a feature to set the level of the created char, so that you arent limited to only create starting PCs. Then it would also allow to kinda plan how your ppl would look like in later levels - with the additional skill and attribute points.
Yes... a build / levelling feature has been previously requested by others. Simply setting the character level would not be sufficient due to non-retroactive level up effects such as intelligence's effect on skill points per level and strength's effect on CON per level. However I have been tossing around a few ideas and think I should be able to come up with something that would allow the user to 'ding' through the levels and allocate the relevant skill points (and attribute points for lvl%10==0) as well as 'un-ding' to reverse previous levelling decisions.

Will start work on it tomorrow and see how far I get.

Regards,

Koth.

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 4th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Nexus wrote:http 500 error :/

EDIT: back up!
Sorry about that... not really my control... if the site goes down it's google's fault heh. It's running on google's app engine. They must have had a server outage last night. Should be fine now though.

Regards,

Koth.

frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx » October 5th, 2014, 1:02 am

Koth wrote:
frozyx wrote:Really nice work!

Yes... a build / levelling feature has been previously requested by others. Simply setting the character level would not be sufficient due to non-retroactive level up effects such as intelligence's effect on skill points per level and strength's effect on CON per level. However I have been tossing around a few ideas and think I should be able to come up with something that would allow the user to 'ding' through the levels and allocate the relevant skill points (and attribute points for lvl%10==0) as well as 'un-ding' to reverse previous levelling decisions.

Will start work on it tomorrow and see how far I get.

Regards,

Koth.
Sounds good to me :)

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 9th, 2014, 6:08 am

Hey all just a quick post to let you know:

NEW BUILD! [ Updated October 9, 2014 ] - Includes Ranger Levelling! See original post for release note updates!

Hope you all enjoy. Cheers,

Koth.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Re: Wasteland 2 - Online Ranger Creation Toolkit

Post by BlakeStone » October 9th, 2014, 4:19 pm

What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to edit a ranger. Wanted to change 8 Strength to 7 and Charisma from 2 to 3 and no amount of clicking seems to work while in edit mode.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 9th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Is this on a level 1 character? If so, then yes this is a bug. I have fixed this and will upload tonight. For now, as a work around, delete the ranger and rebuild, or wait until tonight and I'll upload the fix and you will be able to edit level 1 custom rangers. I have also added the ability to add pre-made characters from the NPC drop down and will upload this change as well.

Regards,

Koth.

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 9th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Koth wrote:Is this on a level 1 character? If so, then yes this is a bug. I have fixed this and will upload tonight. For now, as a work around, delete the ranger and rebuild, or wait until tonight and I'll upload the fix and you will be able to edit level 1 custom rangers. I have also added the ability to add pre-made characters from the NPC drop down and will upload this change as well.

Regards,

Koth.
Done. Enjoy. Please note that the new add NPC drop down now includes premade character's. However I based the information on a possibly outdated wasteland 2 wiki page. I will cross reference the values I entered with the in game content tonight when I get home and up date them if need be. And yes, this bug has been addressed, you can once again edit the attributes and skills of a level 1 custom ranger (and new premade rangers as well).

frabron
Acolyte

Post by frabron » October 9th, 2014, 11:26 pm

This a really great and helpful tool! Well done!

nidark
Initiate

Post by nidark » October 10th, 2014, 2:18 am

Excellent job!
I still have my xls .. but yours is nicer :D

My party here with the link to your app:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10081&p=131178#p131178

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 10th, 2014, 5:26 am

nidark wrote:Excellent job!
I still have my xls .. but yours is nicer :D

My party here with the link to your app:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10081&p=131178#p131178
Thx Nidark. Awesome build you've got there... Appologies but I've been in the process of purchasing a new domain, if possible can you please update your link to www.rpg-gaming.com instead? This will be the new home of the tool from this point forward.

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 12th, 2014, 5:41 am

For those interested, just wanted to let you know that I'll be starting the next phase of the site this week. Am planning to include skill point shrines, skill books & trinkets. Additionally I would like to also like to find the time to add better feedback on hover over skills in the form of a popup displaying stat differences I.e. +1AP, +1 Combat Initiative.

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Koth

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 13th, 2014, 7:47 pm

New Build Features [October 14, 2014]
  • Implemented hover tooltips for attributes and skill changes. Functions much as the in game tooltips. Will show any differences between the current cell value and the updated cell value with regards to derived stats. ex. Changing Intelligence from 3 to 8 will show a +2 increase in skill points per level.
  • Implemented better cell shading to help display which attributes / skills are purchasable with the points remaining, i.e. functions as per in game cell shading.
  • Here is an example of the above two enhancements: Image

fedprod
Novice

Post by fedprod » October 14th, 2014, 2:55 am

Nice, but why that thick left advertising bars? Forcing People to scroll right and down for the whole content is not so good^^"

Koth
Acolyte

Post by Koth » October 14th, 2014, 3:04 am

fedprod wrote:Nice, but why that thick left advertising bars? Forcing People to scroll right and down for the whole content is not so good^^"
Hi fedprod! Thanks for your feedback. I guess my reasoning was a) Although I do this for the love of it, I also have bills to pay and mouths to feed, so ya, I had to go down the advertising route to keep the site viable. b) Ads were getting lost on the right hand side and thus needed to go on the left, c) widescreen monitors are a dime a dozen and it fits fine on there, and even on my iPad it displays fine, although yes I'll concede it might not be the best for mobile phone browsing, but then it never would have been even without the ads. If I was to go back to putting the ads on the right again I'd have to squish up the rest of the elements more than I'd like. Rest assured though, I don't want to annoy you or other users. So I will keep this in mind as I tweak the site in future.

Thanks again for your feedback. Regards,

Koth.

Edit: Ok, I've played around with a few elements and managed to squeeze some of the padding out to make room for ads on the right hand side again, I'll trial it to see how I like the response. Hopefully this will be more to your liking.

fedprod
Novice

Post by fedprod » October 14th, 2014, 3:47 am

Oh, not even meant for mobile, 1280x1024 here. Maybe simply more dynamic sizes would be a good solution.