[Mod]Reduced Skill-Meter Duration and Crit-Fails, +Runspeed

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Kulin
Novice

[Mod]Reduced Skill-Meter Duration and Crit-Fails, +Runspeed

Post by Kulin » September 22nd, 2014, 7:57 am

Hi,

my intention for this mod is that i don't like to reload all the day just because something broke down after trying to open it. I think this is no really good game design decision. Yes, i could life with the fact that i just destroyed this safe door with a ~80% success chance. But how many of us really can resist to reload again and again until the door/safe/whatever is open? In my opinion the chance for a critical failure is by far too high and the result or advantage is nearly nothing but a quick-load orgy on every hard lock. So i've changed the critical-fail-chance(depending on your skill and the lock-level) from(%) 0,1,10,35,45,60 into 0,0,1,3,5,7,10. The fail chance is still the same. Yes, it feels a little bit like cheating but in the end it just reduces the amount of quick-loads(which is also cheating in a way). If you don't want to cheat, don't use this "mod".

I also don't like the skill-usage-meter very much. It just takes too long to do anything, especially the bandaging after a fight. I've reduced the time the skill meter is shown(EDIT).

Unfortunatly this was not really easy because inXile decided to hard-code every setting, which means that we need to decompile and change the .NET Assembly where this is done. I used the free tools JustDecompile and Reflexil to do this. I changed the following positions in the Assembly-CSharp.dll(make a backup before trying this yourself):

1. To reduce time of skill execution:
I've added a line in Function: <Default Namespace>.SkillMetered::PrepareMeter(PC pc, float duration):
duration = 1f;

2. To reduce the critical failure chance:
Function: <Default Namespace>.SkillMetered::SkillMetered()
Line: SkillMetered.TheOdds = ....
Into: This is a array of "odds". The ChallengeLevelOdds for every object is constructed with 3 params. First one is the critical failure chance(if random(0,100) < this number), second number is for a normal failure(if random < this number), third number is critical success(if random > this number), everything else is success.

3. I increased the runspeed a little bit(about 50% faster)
Function: <Default Namespace>.PCStats.CalculateStatBase
i've changed the value "6" to "10" at if (statName == PCStatsManager.runSpeed) return 6; in the function
<Default Namespace>.PCStats.CalculateStatBase.

You can download a modified version from here:

Please Note: This Downloads are made for Wasteland 2 with Patch 1. They don't work with any other version.

Version "All Inclusive"
This version contains:
-SkillMeter Duration reduced to 1 second.
-All Critical Fails drastically reduced from 0,1,10,35,45,60 to 0,0,1,3,5,7,10 (%)
-Runspeed at ~160% of original Value
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1m9csi3tsru6g ... p.dll?dl=0

Version "Cautious"
Some people have read the post of InXileBen. He said: No Meters could be causing a problem. Thats why i changed from my first approach with no meters to very fast meters. Some people still want standard-meters with NO crit fails anyway.

This version contains:
-All Critical Fails chances reduced to 0.
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yl638yngtlnx ... s.dll?dl=0

Version "No-Cheat"
This version contains:
-Skill-Meter duration reduced to 1 second.
-Runspeed at ~160% of original Value
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jt6q49p6asik ... s.dll?dl=0

Installation Instructions:
Please rename the downloaded file you want to use into: Assembly-CSharp.dll (if necessary) and replace the one in the wasteland 2 directory(backup the original). You need to replace the file at: STEAM\SteamApps\common\Wasteland 2\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll

Thanks for using my mod. :)
Last edited by Kulin on September 29th, 2014, 4:56 am, edited 9 times in total.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Re: [Mod] Removed Skill Meters, Reduced Critical Fail Chance

Post by BlakeStone » September 22nd, 2014, 9:33 am

First off, inXile is not against modding Wasteland 2 so no worries there.

Second, that calculation code bugs me. random(0,100) really!?! If compared to rolling dice (2d20) you cannot get a zero. If they really want to give a zero percent chance then it should be random(0, 99) for a range of 100. Maybe there's a logical reason I'm just not getting.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Grimage
Acolyte

Post by Grimage » September 22nd, 2014, 10:38 am

Thanks! This may prove useful for my nerves. Even with low critical chances, i keep having critical failures way too often at the first try.

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » September 22nd, 2014, 10:52 am

Fantastic! This is the biggest reason why I haven't jumped in the full version yet (played beta quite a bit). I was hoping for a few mods that would take away most frustration caused by just a few unoptimal decisions.
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » September 22nd, 2014, 10:55 am

BlakeStone wrote:First off, inXile is not against modding Wasteland 2 so no worries there.

Second, that calculation code bugs me. random(0,100) really!?! If compared to rolling dice (2d20) you cannot get a zero. If they really want to give a zero percent chance then it should be random(0, 99) for a range of 100. Maybe there's a logical reason I'm just not getting.
Yes, its random(0, 100). Checked it again. So there is actually 101 possible results. But in this case this is even better for the success rate, so no real harm done. :)

Btw.: i changed another thing:
I've added a line in SkillMetered::PrepareMeter(PC pc, float duration):

duration = 2f;

I'm not sure but it seems that in the old version it was only a visual thing. The skill meter was not there anymore, but the skill execution took the same time. Now it is much faster.

Not sure if ~2 seconds is ok. Feels like its a bit too fast for the animation.

Just re-download the file in the initial posting.
Grimage wrote:Thanks! This may prove useful for my nerves. Even with low critical chances, i keep having critical failures way too often at the first try.
I could make a very low crit-fails version, too. Or is it ok atm?

fuchfe97
Novice

Post by fuchfe97 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:19 pm

BlakeStone wrote:First off, inXile is not against modding Wasteland 2 so no worries there.

0 to 100 makes sense though, because 0% chance (impossible), 1% (almost impossible) up to 100% (certain) are 101 different values

InXileBen
Developer

Post by InXileBen » September 22nd, 2014, 1:04 pm

tkl;dr BE CAREFUL. YOU MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Feel free to mod to your heart's content.
That being said, if you break something, we cannot help you fix it; changing what the game expects to happen, especially with major mechanics like the Skill Meter, can totally cause issues, and our small team does not have the resources to investigate that sort of bug.

Best advice: Check your code and run some THOROUGH tests after making any edits like this before proceeding in your game. That should help minimize the impact.
Wasteland 2 is an EXTREMELY complex game, and we use lots of custom overrides to get some of the unique behavior you'll see, and even "simple" changes could spiral out into a major bug. IIRC, we've got some NPCs who watch some InteractableObjects for player interaction, and the meter can factor into that logic. Disabling the meter, thus, could cause said NPC to not trigger a scene, since it never appears.
Again, if something break in this way, there's nothing--nada, zip, zilch--we can do. CAUTION!
Kulin wrote:Yes, its random(0, 100). Checked it again. So there is actually 101 possible results. But in this case this is even better for the success rate, so no real harm done. :)
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... Range.html
Random.Range(int min, int max) is not inclusive on the max side. Only 100 results.

BE CAREFUL!

Bonechip
Initiate

Post by Bonechip » September 22nd, 2014, 1:44 pm

InXileBen wrote:Feel free to mod to your heart's content.
Just gotta throw the following equation out there:

inXile > Every_other_gaming_company

It is so refreshing to see a developer actually encourage unconventional modding (albeit with logical warnings). You guys are the best!

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » September 22nd, 2014, 1:46 pm

InXileBen wrote: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... Range.html
Random.Range(int min, int max) is not inclusive on the max side. Only 100 results.
OK, not inclusive... makes sense now.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » September 23rd, 2014, 12:00 am

InXileBen wrote:tkl;dr BE CAREFUL. YOU MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Feel free to mod to your heart's content.
That being said, if you break something, we cannot help you fix it; changing what the game expects to happen, especially with major mechanics like the Skill Meter, can totally cause issues, and our small team does not have the resources to investigate that sort of bug.

Best advice: Check your code and run some THOROUGH tests after making any edits like this before proceeding in your game. That should help minimize the impact.
Wasteland 2 is an EXTREMELY complex game, and we use lots of custom overrides to get some of the unique behavior you'll see, and even "simple" changes could spiral out into a major bug. IIRC, we've got some NPCs who watch some InteractableObjects for player interaction, and the meter can factor into that logic. Disabling the meter, thus, could cause said NPC to not trigger a scene, since it never appears.
Again, if something break in this way, there's nothing--nada, zip, zilch--we can do. CAUTION!
Hi, thanks for the advice. :)

This is indeed a little bit risky in this case. I changed the skipMeter=true thing back to its original state but let the reduced challengemeter duration where it was. So the challengemeter appears for a short time(2 seconds). So if there are any npcs that watch the visual-appearance-event of the challengemeter this should not result in a problem, since shorter durations are already used in other places(like in combat).

To get the new version just click the link in the first posting.

Tets
Master

Re: [Mod]Reduced Skill-Meter Duration and Critical-Fail Chan

Post by Tets » September 23rd, 2014, 6:58 am

i dont want to beg for a mod, in the future i will look into it on my own - probably im not able because this looks like you need some programming skills-, but i would really appreciate a mod, who simply doubles the speed of the Skill Meter - so that there shouldnt be any problems with the game and no modification of game mechanics :) i simply dont want to wait so long until a skill check is finished :)

PS: Awesome work nonetheless Kulin, i think this is the first "real" mod for wasteland 2 :)

Xhanatos
Initiate

Post by Xhanatos » September 23rd, 2014, 7:39 am

Hey i have a big request but it would be great if you could help me!

Could you please make a Version that reduces the Critical Fail Chance to 0 but doesnt change anything else?

I dont know how to do this but if you could it would be really great. :)

Only if the Critical Chance is 0 i dont have to save before each single Chest/Door/etc. and this really helps the gameflow in my opinion.

You would be my Hero if you could make such a file and upload it here as well! :)

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 23rd, 2014, 10:47 am

Great job, that is a god send. The animations are far too long and they definitely overdid with critical-fails. I'm sure we've all done save-hoping jsut to open important door or chest, and that is just frustrating.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Jirodyne
Initiate

Post by Jirodyne » September 23rd, 2014, 10:40 pm

I was hoping you could fix the Dice rolling/Chance system. Success, fail, and crit fail. Because from what I have seen, it is very badly broken. I mean, 80% chance of Success and it takes over 12 tries in a row before it succeeds?! You should be 'winning' 4 out of 5 rolls! Not failed 12 out of 13! The Critical Failure is worse, but you seemed to be changing that around for the better. 5% crit chance means 1 out of ever 20 failures might be a Critical failure. Not every 2-4 tries! >.<

So please... Just fix the rolls or whatever, or at least change the 'X% chance of' to actually show what the REAL chances are.

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » September 24th, 2014, 12:07 am

Hi,

As requested i made two new versions:

One with No Crit Fails but Standard-Meter Speed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yl638yngtlnx ... s.dll?dl=0

And another one with classic crit fails but fast meters:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jt6q49p6asik ... s.dll?dl=0

Please rename the file you want to use into: Assembly-CSharp.dll and replace the one in the wasteland 2 directory(backup the original).
I was hoping you could fix the Dice rolling/Chance system. Success, fail, and crit fail. Because from what I have seen, it is very badly broken. I mean, 80% chance of Success and it takes over 12 tries in a row before it succeeds?! You should be 'winning' 4 out of 5 rolls! Not failed 12 out of 13! The Critical Failure is worse, but you seemed to be changing that around for the better. 5% crit chance means 1 out of ever 20 failures might be a Critical failure. Not every 2-4 tries! >.<
I think its just really bad luck. The method where this is done is pretty simple and i see nothing that could cause this problem. Sorry. :?

bekyuubi
Initiate

Post by bekyuubi » September 24th, 2014, 9:13 pm

This mod has my approval. The usage duration of skills has been greatly reduced and has made my day. Now I just need only increased running speed and the game continuing to run during alt-tab, as well as the option to have no enemy encounter during map time.
Last edited by bekyuubi on September 25th, 2014, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » September 24th, 2014, 11:46 pm

bekyuubi wrote:This mod has my approval. The usage duration of skills has been greatly reduced and has made my day. Now I need only increased running speed and the game continuing to run during alt-tab, as well as the option to have no enemy encounter during map time.
I don't think i can help with that alt-tab thing. And if you want no random encounters just increase your outdoorsman skill(edit it in your savegame, if you want to cheat).

But since your approval was very important to me, i made a special version with higher runspeed for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tadq2blq9gu3 ... d.dll?dl=0
Rename it to Assembly-CSharp.dll and put it in your STEAM\SteamApps\common\Wasteland 2\Build\WL2_Data\Managed\ Directory to replace the existing file.

What i did:
i changed the value "6" to "20" at if (statName == PCStatsManager.runSpeed) return 6; in the function
<Default Namespace>.PCStats.CalculateStatBase.

Have fun! :D

bekyuubi
Initiate

Post by bekyuubi » September 25th, 2014, 12:16 am

Wow, thank you very much for the additional mod. I was thinking that the mods I wish for wouldn't come out till much later. Honestly, after playing through years and years of RPGs, running from point A to point B is the most frustrating issue for me. I'm glad that that the community has people creating mods for needy people like myself. *cough*

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » September 25th, 2014, 8:12 am

I like how you have the Total Charisma shown. If Luck is also a party attribute, maybe add that.
What I really would like is to have under the Total Charisma is a list of all the Skills and a Yes or No indicating that the team has covered that skill. With that I could see what Skills are needed for my team.

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » September 26th, 2014, 10:30 am

I'm uploading and updating the Dlls right now. They will be up in about 10 minutes. Just download the dll you want to use after you've downloaded the current patch and do the things described in the first posting. :)
BlakeStone wrote:I like how you have the Total Charisma shown. If Luck is also a party attribute, maybe add that.
What I really would like is to have under the Total Charisma is a list of all the Skills and a Yes or No indicating that the team has covered that skill. With that I could see what Skills are needed for my team.
I'm pretty sure thats not so easy. All i can do is changing some hard coded numbers or adding a few lines of code.