Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Post Reply
User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » November 12th, 2014, 1:04 pm

I have a bunch of logic for handling .char vs .xml files using <inventory> as a check, so I'm not going to add this feature since all you have to do is start and save a game to edit the inventory anyway. I don't think you are missing out on anything by not having this feature.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

User avatar
NovaRain
Scholar
Posts: 127
Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Location: Taiwan

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by NovaRain » November 12th, 2014, 2:35 pm

BlakeStone wrote:I have a bunch of logic for handling .char vs .xml files using <inventory> as a check, so I'm not going to add this feature since all you have to do is start and save a game to edit the inventory anyway. I don't think you are missing out on anything by not having this feature.
Got it, thanks for the explanation. :)

supponpon
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by supponpon » November 12th, 2014, 6:29 pm

This tool is really nice. Thanks for your hard work!

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » November 12th, 2014, 7:43 pm

NovaRain wrote:
BlakeStone wrote:I have a bunch of logic for handling .char vs .xml files using <inventory> as a check, so I'm not going to add this feature since all you have to do is start and save a game to edit the inventory anyway. I don't think you are missing out on anything by not having this feature.
Got it, thanks for the explanation. :)
but...
I have not completed the game so I'm not sure about the feature that was added recently, maybe patch 3, where you can export your rangers you used to complete the game and use them to start a new game. If you get to keep your inventory, then the balance will shift and I will need to refactor the logic to accommodate that.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

User avatar
NovaRain
Scholar
Posts: 127
Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Location: Taiwan

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by NovaRain » November 12th, 2014, 8:09 pm

BlakeStone wrote:but...
I have not completed the game so I'm not sure about the feature that was added recently, maybe patch 3, where you can export your rangers you used to complete the game and use them to start a new game. If you get to keep your inventory, then the balance will shift and I will need to refactor the logic to accommodate that.
You won't be able to keep your inventory from the previous game, only your clothing (it's pretty funny one of my character starts with the gorilla suit :lol: )

OLime
Initiate
Posts: 2
Joined: November 16th, 2014, 8:45 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by OLime » November 16th, 2014, 8:50 am

Great work there.

However, I have a (slight?) problem: I found that a recruitable npc has a skill one of my rangers also had. So with the help of the editor I took the invested skill points and put them into another skill. The game does not recognize the "new" skill, however, meaning I can't use it in the hotkey bar. Am I overlooking something?

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » November 16th, 2014, 9:37 am

Kind of hard to tell if you edited the ranger or the npc. Which npc? Did you actually save the file? This means that when you selected 'Save' it went back to the file chooser window.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9779
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by Drool » November 16th, 2014, 12:31 pm

FWIW, I've found it's much more convenient to just move the skill points from the skill to the Skill Point box, and then assign the points in-game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

OLime
Initiate
Posts: 2
Joined: November 16th, 2014, 8:45 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by OLime » November 17th, 2014, 7:40 am

BlakeStone wrote:Kind of hard to tell if you edited the ranger or the npc. Which npc? Did you actually save the file? This means that when you selected 'Save' it went back to the file chooser window.
I loaded a save file (not a ranger file) and edited a skill of one of my self-created rangers so that he now has 0 skill points in it. I took these skill points and put them into another skill which I now can use just fine, with the small problem that it's not possible to pin it to the hotkey bar. The game does not seem to recognize that Scotchmo has that skill now.

I found I can manually edit the hotkeys in the according XML file but Drool's suggestion sounds far easier. Seeing I only "lost" 6 skill points I might just stick with it and see if I ever really need those 6 SP.

Thx again for that handy tool and your constant giving support its to users.

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » November 18th, 2014, 12:44 pm

OLime wrote:
BlakeStone wrote:Kind of hard to tell if you edited the ranger or the npc. Which npc? Did you actually save the file? This means that when you selected 'Save' it went back to the file chooser window.
I loaded a save file (not a ranger file) and edited a skill of one of my self-created rangers so that he now has 0 skill points in it. I took these skill points and put them into another skill which I now can use just fine, with the small problem that it's not possible to pin it to the hotkey bar. The game does not seem to recognize that Scotchmo has that skill now.

I found I can manually edit the hotkeys in the according XML file but Drool's suggestion sounds far easier. Seeing I only "lost" 6 skill points I might just stick with it and see if I ever really need those 6 SP.

Thx again for that handy tool and your constant giving support its to users.
I just went into a saved game and removed Scotchmo's 6 skill (which is 18 points) in Shotguns and put it in Field Medic. I loaded the game and Scotchmo was at 6 skill in Field Medic and I was able to add Field Medic to the hotkey bar successfully. I'm thinking you have other issues.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » November 18th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I just uploaded a new version of the jar:WL2RangerEditor-59820-2.jar. It contains updates to many of the in game portraits that were changed recently, and I also made a change to fix a bug where end game exported rangers would lose any unspent skill/attribute points if you opened and saved them in the editor.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

mrazek666
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by mrazek666 » December 5th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Hey there!

Great tool, really helped me with the few things that were bugging me...

However, I still don't seem to be able to change cnpc portraits(Rose,Angela,etc) - I have got your latest jar and it works fine for everything apart of grayed out option to change the portraits for them(ok for my own rangers)

I have been browsing through many forums and many guys say that all it takes is to change the name of desired portrait to the grayed one (like wl2_Portrait_Rose.png or sth) but it doesn't work...Were are they located? In c/users/profile/mygames/wl2 etc? or somewhere on Steam? I have got fully updated Steam version.

Cheers!

PS: Yey! My first post!

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » December 5th, 2014, 4:32 pm

C:\Users\<your profile>\Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Custom Portraits\

The file needs to be the same exact name, capitalization and lower case counts.
There was a discussion a few pages back in this thread on getting the cnpc portraits changed.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

mrazek666
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by mrazek666 » December 6th, 2014, 4:33 am

Thank you for a prompt reply!

I know - I tried it with couple of portraits already - the grayed out portrait name in save editor says wl2_Portrait_Rose.png - exactly with capitalization and signs...but it still doesn't work

Where do I go wrong? I am currently playing again and I am in AG Centre - don't know if that affects it (since its her starting location or sth...)

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » December 6th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I saved Highpool, so I don't have a Rose save game to test things out with her. If you could send me your save game files and portraits folder zipped up. then I can debug it and see what's up. Send to my name at outlook dot com.

EDIT:
I found a save with Rose from another player that had sent me their files to debug.
I am not having issues with using a custom Portrait for Rose. The custom portrait shows up in my editor and in Wasteland 2. Maybe you have a unique folder setup on your computer that is not default? Are you running an older version of my editor? WL2RangerEditor-59820-2.jar is latest.
Last edited by BlakeStone on December 6th, 2014, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

mrazek666
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by mrazek666 » December 6th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Hey I was just trying to post it to you :D

Although since I am new here I wasn't sure how to attach the files...

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » December 6th, 2014, 12:54 pm

I don't see that feature here, use email.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

mrazek666
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by mrazek666 » December 6th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Just sent it - hope you get it!

User avatar
BlakeStone
Explorer
Posts: 294
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » December 6th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Got it, you must have the default setting of hiding windows file extentions.
Your file name for rose is wl2_Portrait_Rose.png.jpg

Here is a link to show file extensions in windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

If you delete the .png part of the file name, that should work and you don't need to show the extensions as you are using a JPG file here.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Image

mrazek666
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: December 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by mrazek666 » December 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Mr Blakestone I salute you - you ARE a star!!!

Thank you very much, it was really bugging me!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest