Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Garzhad
Novice

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Ranger Editor

Post by Garzhad »

Soo, I cleared my firefox cache and redownloaded the .jar. Aaand.... nothings changed. MS/salvaging et all do not work. Changes to skill points have no effect; they get zeroed out. Ralphys portriat isnt selectable from the drop down but it doesnt seem to effect his in-game portrait. Adding XP was successful, at least.
By points I mean: http://postimg.org/image/68c0fsav1/ to http://postimg.org/image/ikmwwil53/
All i did was just open it up and save it in that case. Didn't even add any. It just... wipes them out. Very, very odd. Win7 Ultimate OS, if thats any help.
The layout of the editor is really nice overall, i just cant figure out why some parts of it arn't working properly >.<
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

Try the download again. I started the editor and couldn't see Ralphy's portrait either for some reason so I must have uploaded the wrong or cached jar. I recompiled and it works this time.
Still no idea on the points issue. I use the same ultimate OS. If you want to zip up your Wastland2 folder for me I can take a look.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad »

Yer updated .jar fixed all the probs, even the skill point one. *thumbsup*
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

Yay!
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas
ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan »

BlakeStone wrote:I did write a centercode bug that says if you have a save game with a ranger that uses my_ranger.jpg but you also have a my_ranger.png, that the png file would load first because the file extension is not saved in the xml and the game loads png's before jpg's for files of the same name, as does my editor. So there may be something to look at there.

Also, changing the picture on the Characters file (.char) does not change the picture in the Save Games file (.xml).
I'm thinking this might be it? You would need to edit the char file before starting a new game with that ranger, or just change the save game file and your char file should be good for the next time you start a new game with that ranger.

If you use the 'X' to close the ranger editor instead of the Save button then any changes you make would not get saved.

If you are making these rangers in the Character Creation at the beginning of New Game and tabbing out and editing them, you will need to exit the game and restart it before they will load the portraits into the Character Creation part of the game. For the Save Game file, if you are tabbing out of the game and editing the file, you will need to select the Load Game option to load the newly saved file.

You can change the portrait for Angela Deth the editor does save the game file with the new portrait name, but Wasteland2 sets the correct portrait once loaded, so it's likely that you can't change the portrait for game generated rangers/characters.
I figured it out! My graphic file names were long (I like detailed names) and each included a . in them. The game still read them and used them fine, but the editor might have expected a file extension after the first .

So, for example, I changed 256.ving1.jpg to 256ving1.jpg, and it works!

Thanks for your patience! I did find one other little odd glitch. The editor will not load a save file that I have previously edited with my xml editor. To work with one, I have to first load the save in game, save it there, and then load it with the editor.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

Thanks for that ClashFan, I've fixed the editor to work with file names like you make with extra periods. If you want to send me your save file, I can debug why the editor doesn't load it.
Additionally, I fixed a bug where the armor field doesn't save correctly in some cases so everyone needs a fresh jar now :D
TheSnarkyShaman
Initiate

Post by TheSnarkyShaman »

Hey, I first wanted to thank you for making this. I was hoping to make a smaller starting party of rangers viable and this allowed me to do that, so cheers for your work =]

I do think I found a bug, though. When using a party of entirely custom made (with custom portraits) rangers, the editor would not save any changes made to my save file. I tested out a party of three custom rangers and one vanilla and once again the editor worked. It's no real bother because once created I can obviously just edit the vanilla ranger as I please (which I did with no problems, portrait included) but I thought it might be helpful to point out.

Thanks again for the editor!
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

please download the latest jar and try again. I'm not quite understanding your scenario, could you zip up the save game that doesn't save and send it to me?
ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan »

BlakeStone wrote:Thanks for that ClashFan, I've fixed the editor to work with file names like you make with extra periods. If you want to send me your save file, I can debug why the editor doesn't load it.
Additionally, I fixed a bug where the armor field doesn't save correctly in some cases so everyone needs a fresh jar now :D
I'd be happy to send you a file, but how do I attach one to a private message to you here?
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

send it to my forum name at outlook dotcom
Also, I just uploaded a new jar that added some missing portraits.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

TheSnarkyShaman,
I figured out the bug you mentioned. A handful of portraits are gender flagged and don't load into the incorrect gender and will instead load the default Ranger1 portrait. I've fixed this in the latest version of the editor.
ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan »

BlakeStone,

Any way to get the editor to make the game use custom portraits for NPC's? I really dislike the current game portraits for Ralphy and Vulture's Cry, for example. I can select files from the Custom Portraits folder for them in the editor, and they do show every time, but when I run the game it goes right back to the default/generic.

I can also select a custom portrait using a standard XML editor, but again the game ignores those for NPC's and uses default pictures.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

Sorry, I noticed that too when I tried to change Angela Deths portrait. The game loads its own, known portraits for the npc's. I added that to the notes at the bottom of the editor download page.
ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan »

BlakeStone wrote:Sorry, I noticed that too when I tried to change Angela Deths portrait. The game loads its own, known portraits for the npc's. I added that to the notes at the bottom of the editor download page.
I figured that there was nothing you could do about the NPC portrait issue. I may put that in a CenterCode suggestion, that they allow custom portraits for NPC's in the party. I've found a pretty incredible image that I'd like to use for Vulture's Cry, for example.

Maybe when the game is officially released, a folder will be installed with NPC portraits, allowing us to move custom ones there and then use them either with your editor or an XML editor.

Thanks so much for your editor! It looks great! I hope that the upcoming updates to W2 do not mess with all the fine work you've done!

EDIT: I did suggest this via CenterCode, and I specifically mentioned your editor! I hope that is okay.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

The new patch will probably require some adjustments. btw, just fixed a bug with Chisel in the party not saving in the editor.
The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest »

Blake, I just tried this mod out. When I click save nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? It's probably not your mod but my game; it's totally borked with saves and what not.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

Send me your game xml and I'll debug it. My email is about 7 posts up.
The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest »

BlakeStone wrote:Send me your game xml and I'll debug it. My email is about 7 posts up.
Cool, I'll send it to you tonight. Thanks. :)
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.
BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone »

The Tallest wrote:Cool, I'll send it to you tonight. Thanks. :)
All fixed, download the new jar file.
The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest »

BlakeStone wrote:
The Tallest wrote:Cool, I'll send it to you tonight. Thanks. :)
All fixed, download the new jar file.
Awesome, thanks for looking at it for me!! :D

Return to “Wasteland 2: Community Content”