Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Majek
Initiate

Re: Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by Majek » October 19th, 2015, 3:39 am

ClashFan wrote:Well, there's always using an xml editor and doing it yourself. I find that my favorite, XML Notepad, will not open the new save files. I get an error message. Notepad++ works okay, though.

Today I went ahead and gave Ralphie and Takayuki better outfits (torsos) and made Ralphie normal size. I was gonna give Vulture's Cry a new torso, too, to reflect her wearing some armor, but she looks so sweet I decided to leave her untouched!
;)

It took me some time, but I figured out how to add backpacks to NPC's, too. All appears to be stable.
How to format it in Notepad++ to be readable? It's either just one long line or a wordwrap of even more madness. ANd better ideas?

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » October 19th, 2015, 5:38 am

Notepad++ xml tools plugin
http://i.stack.imgur.com/6oytX.png

Or just work with linewrap. Use the highlighting feature (right click on a marked text) and search for some easier navigation.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 19th, 2015, 7:03 am

EZY wrote:1 quirk per character. I'll check on the other stuff.
I thought you could add new perks at some point. Or is that just Quirks?

Speaking of .XML editing. Has anyone else had problems getting the Microsoft .XML reader to open the saved games? I keep getting errors that say something like, "Cannot open file with '@' is the line"; can't remember what it says word for word. I then have to open the save using wordpad and then search for <@> and delete that line where it appears. Usually 3-4 different spots. Then I can open the save in the .xml reader.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 19th, 2015, 8:28 am

The Tallest wrote:Speaking of .XML editing. Has anyone else had problems getting the Microsoft .XML reader to open the saved games?
Yes, it seems the save game files are not "well-formed" xml. I think an effort has been made to make it harder to easily modify the save files. Should be fine in a non-xml editor like notepad or such.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 19th, 2015, 12:17 pm

The Tallest wrote:I thought you could add new perks at some point. Or is that just Quirks?
I believe it's 1 Quirk per character, chosen at creation. 1 Perk every 4 levels, chosen whenever the player wants, much like Skill Points can be used at any time.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

fredgiblet
Initiate

Post by fredgiblet » October 19th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Thank you in advance for your efforts BlakeStone

EZY
Initiate

Post by EZY » October 19th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Drool wrote:
The Tallest wrote:I thought you could add new perks at some point. Or is that just Quirks?
I believe it's 1 Quirk per character, chosen at creation. 1 Perk every 4 levels, chosen whenever the player wants, much like Skill Points can be used at any time.
I believe this is correct.

TheLocalHentai
Initiate

Post by TheLocalHentai » October 19th, 2015, 9:12 pm

The Tallest wrote:Speaking of .XML editing. Has anyone else had problems getting the Microsoft .XML reader to open the saved games? I keep getting errors that say something like, "Cannot open file with '@' is the line"; can't remember what it says word for word. I then have to open the save using wordpad and then search for <@> and delete that line where it appears. Usually 3-4 different spots. Then I can open the save in the .xml reader.
Don't do this, this borks a lot of in game stuff such as the save file list (TOC), and it won't update, essentially breaking your future saves unless you get in there and fix it.

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » October 20th, 2015, 12:10 am

TheLocalHentai wrote: Don't do this, this borks a lot of in game stuff such as the save file list (TOC), and it won't update, essentially breaking your future saves unless you get in there and fix it.
yeah... Wouldn't recommend it either
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... rplanguage

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 22nd, 2015, 4:03 pm

In Notepad++, go up to the menu bar and click on View. Click on Word wrap.

To edit your characters, scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page. You'll see the first character's name start to show up with the bio (if you gave them one), etc. Pretty easy from there to edit your guys, if you want. I even changed the party order of my team.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 22nd, 2015, 4:35 pm

ClashFan wrote:I even changed the party order of my team.
Be careful here. If you put an NPC first, you will not trigger some quests.
It's best to keep the rangers first and the npc's last. As long as you do that, you should be ok to reorder rangers or reorder npcs'.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

nervo82
Initiate

Post by nervo82 » October 23rd, 2015, 4:27 am

Can i use notepad++ to change the head and the clothes?

johnsmithfromwest
Initiate

Post by johnsmithfromwest » October 23rd, 2015, 4:41 am

Yes. You can edit almost everything on both your characters and NPCs who are in your party... But I still miss the Ranger Editor :(

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 23rd, 2015, 6:09 am

johnsmithfromwest wrote:... But I still miss the Ranger Editor :(
I'm working on it. With the save file change and the ranger file completely missing, I'm having to recode just about everything.
With the addition of Quirks and Perks, I will need to play the game for several levels in order to understand how the save files use them.

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » October 23rd, 2015, 7:30 am

Couldn't you add xp to your rangers via xml editing to level them faster?

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 23rd, 2015, 2:08 pm

You can change just about anything to your rangers. I don't "cheat" per se, I just improve their looks, etc., esp the NPC's.

BlakeStone, yes, I just switched my 1st and 3rd guys in the party order so that when Vulture's Cry is at the head of the movng party, as she usually is (with Perception skill), my "leader" guy is in the center of the formation.

Talien
Novice

Post by Talien » October 24th, 2015, 8:02 am

BlakeStone wrote:
johnsmithfromwest wrote:... But I still miss the Ranger Editor :(
I'm working on it. With the save file change and the ranger file completely missing, I'm having to recode just about everything.
With the addition of Quirks and Perks, I will need to play the game for several levels in order to understand how the save files use them.
So it's not just a matter of porting the Ranger editor to DC, you have to write a new one for it? Hopefully people don't start asking for an ETA.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 24th, 2015, 9:19 am

Talien wrote:So it's not just a matter of porting the Ranger editor to DC, you have to write a new one for it? Hopefully people don't start asking for an ETA.
When I said "everything", I meant as far as reading/saving the new file format. Luckily I don't have to literally recode everything. I finished most of it yesterday, but I don't have code for Perks yet since I haven't played enough to get any. I'm gonna put coding away for a bit and level up some rangers to get some Perks.

Jobe00
Novice

Post by Jobe00 » October 24th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Having put in over 400 hours on WL2, I'm eagerly anticipating the new Ranger Editor for DC. I want my Pros from Dover to run the Wasteland once again.

I am annoyed that I can't save my Rangers in DC though.

nervo82
Initiate

Post by nervo82 » October 25th, 2015, 3:36 am

BlakeStone wrote: I'm working on it. With the save file change and the ranger file completely missing, I'm having to recode just about everything.
Don't know if this can help but if you finish the game, or if you nuke the citadel, the game create a .char file