Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

BlakeStone
Explorer

Wasteland 2 Ranger Editor

Post by BlakeStone » January 14th, 2014, 12:57 pm

I hope you like it and that there's not too many bugs ;) Works for PC, Linux, and Mac!

If you run into serious issues, email me your save game files and portraits if necessary to my forum name at outlook dot com and I'll try to debug it.

EDIT:
It seems some are unable to tell that the download link is the word "it" above, so I'll make it a little more obvious:

DOWNLOAD WITH THIS LINK

Last edited by BlakeStone on July 28th, 2015, 11:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Ranger Editor

Post by Montgomery Markland » January 14th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Super awesome!

edmondo
Acolyte

Post by edmondo » January 15th, 2014, 2:41 am

I like it! :D

Thanks for it. This night I'll give it a try this night.

Mr_orbe
Initiate

Post by Mr_orbe » January 15th, 2014, 2:47 am

thanks!! you rules

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 18th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Download the latest jar:
Fixed a bug where Biography wouldn't save if it was previously blank
Fixed a bug where Equipment wasn't saving properly.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 18th, 2014, 4:25 pm

This little program is very cool, thanks man.
The Traits have these observed effects:

Computer Geek
+1 INT
+1 Computer Tech
+1 Synth Tech
-1 Anti Tank
-1 Assault Rifle
-1 Bladed Weapons
-1 Blunt Weapons
-1 Energy Weapons
-1 Handguns
-1 Shotguns
-1 Sniper Rifle
-1 Submachine Gun

Dead Eye
? (no visual stats changed but I think it's +5 or more on ToHit or something)

Death, The Destroyer of Worlds
+1000 to Max Hitpoints
Fast movement
Radiation, STD and probably other immunities

Gearhead
+1 Alarm disarm
+1 Lock Picking
+1 Safe Cracking
+1 Toaster Repair

Gunslinger
+2 Handguns
+2 Hard Ass

Nomad
+1 Southwestern Folklore
+2 Outdoorsman
+1 Animal Whisperer
+1 Salvaging

Way of the Ninja
+1 Bladed Weapons
+1 Blunt Weapons
+2 Evasion
+2 Move Silently
Well, I love the idea of traits, but these seem a little... overpowered
Matthias did nothing wrong!

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 18th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I'm guessing that's probably why the traits aren't in the ranger creation ui. They were in the save file though so I just thought I'd expose them since they seemed to be working.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 18th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Presumably this:
Death, The Destroyer of Worlds
+1000 to Max Hitpoints
Fast movement
Radiation, STD and probably other immunities
Was an alpha testing trait to let you effectively ignore combat and environmental hazards.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 18th, 2014, 9:41 pm

They should be good if it's only 1 trait per Ranger at chargen.

Computer Geek and Gearhead sound great though, I hope there's also a "Doctor" trait or something that gives + to Surgeon/Medic, I'm already planning my next party.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 19th, 2014, 9:04 am

You can only pick one trait. If you pick more than one, the first one picked will be the one that gets saved.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » January 20th, 2014, 10:06 am

I've tried the editor, but run into a glitch.

Every time I use it and save, it changes ALL my custom character portraits to DefaultEnemy.png. Then, in game, they all get set to Ranger1.png (the black guy).

Even when I set the portraits again in the editor, and save, when I reload the editor they are all back to DefaultEnemy. Load the save in the game, and they are all Ranger1.

All four characters get stuck with this one single portrait. I've tried this several time and it happens every time. The editor needs to remember the custom portrait files.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » January 20th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Crosmando wrote:Well, I love the idea of traits, but these seem a little... overpowered
Those are pretty much just placeholders.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » January 20th, 2014, 5:36 pm

edmondo wrote:This night I'll give it a try this night.
Heh. That typo made me think of this.

...What? I like musicals.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 21st, 2014, 7:28 am

ClashFan wrote:I've tried the editor, but run into a glitch.

Every time I use it and save, it changes ALL my custom character portraits to DefaultEnemy.png. Then, in game, they all get set to Ranger1.png (the black guy).

Even when I set the portraits again in the editor, and save, when I reload the editor they are all back to DefaultEnemy. Load the save in the game, and they are all Ranger1.

All four characters get stuck with this one single portrait. I've tried this several time and it happens every time. The editor needs to remember the custom portrait files.
I'm sorry you are having this issue ClashFan. I loaded up my save game and purposely changed all my rangers to the DefaultEnemy.png and then loaded up the game and they all had that same picture and then I went back and edited the pictures to their regular ones then loaded the game and they were changed back to what they were supposed to be. So I'm not seeing this issue you are having. If I had some more information, maybe I can figure this out. Are you running on Windows? What version? Did you install to the default location or did you change anything like that? Installed on D: maybe? Just guessing here so let me know. Maybe you need to run my editor "as Administrator" ? Sometimes downloaded files need some help, right-click on the jar file and select Properties and on the General Tab at the bottom look for and "Unblock" button with a security message "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." Click the Unblock button and then the OK button if this is the case. This will show directly under the Read-only and Hidden check boxes and the Advanced... button if this is your issue.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » January 21st, 2014, 2:52 pm

BlakeStone wrote:
ClashFan wrote:I've tried the editor, but run into a glitch.

I'm sorry you are having this issue ClashFan. I loaded up my save game and purposely changed all my rangers to the DefaultEnemy.png and then loaded up the game and they all had that same picture and then I went back and edited the pictures to their regular ones then loaded the game and they were changed back to what they were supposed to be. So I'm not seeing this issue you are having. If I had some more information, maybe I can figure this out. Are you running on Windows? What version? Did you install to the default location or did you change anything like that? Installed on D: maybe? Just guessing here so let me know. Maybe you need to run my editor "as Administrator" ? Sometimes downloaded files need some help, right-click on the jar file and select Properties and on the General Tab at the bottom look for and "Unblock" button with a security message "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." Click the Unblock button and then the OK button if this is the case. This will show directly under the Read-only and Hidden check boxes and the Advanced... button if this is your issue.
Thanks! I've got Win7 64 bit. I installed the Wasteland demo to the default location on my C drive.

I'll try the unblock idea and see if that helps!

EDIT: Okay, just tried again and the same deal. The editor reverts back to DefaultEnemy every time I save. When I load the save in the game, I get the Ranger1 guy, every time. I've got the editor program on my desktop. Should I try putting that somewhere else?

My custom portraits are in the proper, default location. The editor does see them, as I can select each for my 4 characters and see the picture. It just loses them when I save and then load the save either with the editor or in-game.

EDIT: Okay... could it have something to do with the fact that my custom portraits are .jpg files rather than .png? The game recognizes them just fine, though.

EDIT: Nope, changed them to png, and that didnt' help, either. Sigh.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 21st, 2014, 5:53 pm

I did write a centercode bug that says if you have a save game with a ranger that uses my_ranger.jpg but you also have a my_ranger.png, that the png file would load first because the file extension is not saved in the xml and the game loads png's before jpg's for files of the same name, as does my editor. So there may be something to look at there.

Also, changing the picture on the Characters file (.char) does not change the picture in the Save Games file (.xml).
I'm thinking this might be it? You would need to edit the char file before starting a new game with that ranger, or just change the save game file and your char file should be good for the next time you start a new game with that ranger.

If you use the 'X' to close the ranger editor instead of the Save button then any changes you make would not get saved.

If you are making these rangers in the Character Creation at the beginning of New Game and tabbing out and editing them, you will need to exit the game and restart it before they will load the portraits into the Character Creation part of the game. For the Save Game file, if you are tabbing out of the game and editing the file, you will need to select the Load Game option to load the newly saved file.

You can change the portrait for Angela Deth the editor does save the game file with the new portrait name, but Wasteland2 sets the correct portrait once loaded, so it's likely that you can't change the portrait for game generated rangers/characters.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » January 22nd, 2014, 12:03 am

Any particular reason the editor eats all of your attribute/skill points?
Also, it doesn't properly load Ralphy's stuff. It doesnt load his portrait and it eats his special skills(move silently and salvaging)

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 22nd, 2014, 7:26 am

Hi Garzhad,
not sure what you mean eating the points... you can put as many as you want into those fields up to the max 70 for attributes and currently 1320 for skills. I will have to add Ralphy's portrait to the editor, do you know which one it is? The game doesn't currently support the following skills: animalWhisperer, calvinBackerSkill, combatShooting, salvaging, and silentMove, so I didn't code for them.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » January 22nd, 2014, 7:49 am

Ralphy has the skills move silently and salvaging. So whether they support it or not currently, you should add them(for future proofing if nothing else), or your program will delete 66% of ralphys skills and make him even more useless.
By eating the points, i mean every time you Save, the program wipes out all remaining skill/attribute points for some unknown reason. I had 21 attrib/43 skills on one char debug-run, after saving, Zero.
Ralphys portrait is 'wl2_portrait_teen01'
This is before and after 'unblocking it' and using admin mode.
On a side note I recall someone saying there two piles of Salvageable stuff in Rail Nomads that only Ralphy can get you, so that may be Partially implemented now if what said person is true.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » January 22nd, 2014, 8:10 am

Download the latest jar.
I added Ralphy's portrait and put in the other skills. Let me know how it goes.

I added attribute points and skill points to my ranger and loaded up a saved game and they were there. I saved the game and then loaded it into the editor and the points were there as well, so I'm not seeing the points thing. If you added them to the char file they don't get into the xml file and vise versa.