Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities!

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Queeg
Initiate

Re: Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities!

Post by Queeg » March 12th, 2018, 1:49 am

Looking to get a 3rd playthrough under my belt and would like to get some changes. I scoured nexus mods and inxile forums, took something here and there but there's still this but...
Does anyone have a mod (they would share with me and others for WL:DC) that adds slots for weapon mods to weapons that otherwise don't have such slots? eg. Heavy Weapons with barrel modification, etc.

On the same note, does anyone use a mod they are comfortable with/would recommend that changes how weapons are balanced to each other? Namely, I'm looking at you, shotguns.

Thanks!

Any easy fix for weapon rebalance to work properly under this improved mod capability? It shows all attacks as x0 ammo used on UI and bursts indeed fire just one projectile. Also makes all DPS come to 0.00 on the screen.

fiteme_squirrel
Initiate

Post by fiteme_squirrel » March 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Shadow Jack wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 8:11 am
First of all thanks a lot Executor_ for your amazing work! You gave a reason to replay this game. I want to ask you couple of questions. As I understood you have full access to game code. Does it means that you can edit quests? Can you tell me(or PM me) what tools you are using?
So, I know this is an old item, but I couldn't find references elsewhere. I'm using the export from another thread as reference, to create some overrides. I'm looking to add another quest to an existing NPC (Mercaptain), in order to give the PC a new revolver (a upgraded Navy revolver that uses 45ammo and does more respective damage). I have been digging in the exported mson files but haven't been able to locate where the quests are defined in there, to create new ones.

It's a very simple quest, unlocked when other quests are done, or a level is hit, to upgrade an item with a new item I created. I was thinking it could be triggered in a similar way to how new items for requisition are unlocked, or at least that's the hope. I'd like to have a way in-game to get this new gun into the hands of my PCs without having to edit the save-game.

1) Are the hooks present in the stock game (not with your custom dll) to add dialog and quests? Which files do I need to reference to do this, and where would I be placing the new quest?

2) If 1 is a no, then does your patch work on the Linux version of the dll?

Thanks for your efforts on this, you've contributed most of the current info so far on how to mod this game and it is appreciated!!

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

1) Sadly, there's no way to add or change the game's quests and dialogue without editing the Assembly-CSharp.dll, as they're all compiled inside it. Probably half the DLL is composed of the various campaign scripts.

2) Assuming the Linux version of WL2:DC uses the exact same DLL as Windows, then my custom DLL should work. The edited DLLs provided by others re-target the game for NET 4.0, which breaks the game for MacOS and Linux. My DLL doesn't change the references, so it retains the original game's dependence on NET/Mono 3.5.

fiteme_squirrel
Initiate

Post by fiteme_squirrel » March 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Well crap. Thanks for the info. I was hoping to be able to extend the game with some extra quest bits but I suppose that's out. I am really baffled as to why they provide the mechanism to add extra items and such, without providing the mod hooks to add dialog and quests to put said items into the game.

Man, this nukes like 75% of my mod ideas.

Could you tell me, do items get auto-inserted at random based on their Tier at least, as in if I make a custom Trinket of a particular Tier it will show up randomly as loot or in a shop? Or is all of that pre-coded into shop/loot lists, and I'd have to add the item into those lists?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 17th, 2018, 9:34 pm

fiteme_squirrel wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm
I am really baffled as to why they provide the mechanism to add extra items and such, without providing the mod hooks to add dialog and quests to put said items into the game.
Did they? I was under the assumption that modding the game depends on a 3rd party hacked DLL file; which is why I never pursued it further.

fiteme_squirrel
Initiate

Post by fiteme_squirrel » March 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Gizmo wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 9:34 pm
Did they? I was under the assumption that modding the game depends on a 3rd party hacked DLL file; which is why I never pursued it further.
Seems the only things that can be modded are items and perks and such. I'm having a rough time getting a new Trinket into my PC's hands, so support for adding new items seems iffy at best.

I was hoping for being able to script out new quests and NPCs, adding some little side flavor missions, such as turning in certain items and being rewarded with upgraded items in return. Add in little purposes for some of those "white labeled junk" items in the game. None of that seems possible to me at this point.

I guess I'm just going to stick with revising the existing Perks and Trinkets, and fudging my new revolvers into one of the Citadel vendor lists for now. Can't seem to get statusEffects to properly apply even to existing weapons either. I'm a bit disappointed in the modding ability in this game.

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 18th, 2018, 1:46 am

fiteme_squirrel wrote:
Well crap. Thanks for the info. I was hoping to be able to extend the game with some extra quest bits but I suppose that's out. I am really baffled as to why they provide the mechanism to add extra items and such, without providing the mod hooks to add dialog and quests to put said items into the game.
I'm guessing moddability wasn't considered when they were designing the quest/dialogue system, and now that it's done, it would be a massive undertaking to export it into a user-editable format without creating countless bugs. JournalEntryTemplates objects are moddable, but those only contain display text.
Gizmo wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 9:34 pm
The base game supports modding the following object types:

ItemTemplate
DropSet (create only, can't edit existing)
VendorSet
JournalEntryTemplate
StatusEffect
NPCTemplate (edit existing only)
Spawner (edit existing only)

It has some bugs related to editing fields containing arrays, as well as problems with referencing other UnityEngine objects. The base game also doesn't have any mechanism for viewing the original game objects, so editing them was really hard when you had to guess the existing values.

My custom DLL writes out the game's objects to the "Mods\Export" folder, as well as fixing the bugs when reading MSONs, and allows modding a wider variety of objects (including editing the base game's DropSets).
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
Could you tell me, do items get auto-inserted at random based on their Tier at least, as in if I make a custom Trinket of a particular Tier it will show up randomly as loot or in a shop? Or is all of that pre-coded into shop/loot lists, and I'd have to add the item into those lists?
New items will only show up in-game if you edit the DropSets or VendorSets item lists. There's a slew of DropSets with names like "Tier 1 Ammo", "Tier 1 Trinkets", "Tier 3 Handgun", etc. that are widely used by containers and can be modified if you want an item to show up as random loot.
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Can't seem to get statusEffects to properly apply even to existing weapons either.
What's the format that you're using to edit the statusEffect field? I can't remember if that was one of the array fields that had issues being modded in the base game.

fiteme_squirrel
Initiate

Post by fiteme_squirrel » March 18th, 2018, 10:56 am

Executor_ wrote:
March 18th, 2018, 1:46 am
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
New items will only show up in-game if you edit the DropSets or VendorSets item lists. There's a slew of DropSets with names like "Tier 1 Ammo", "Tier 1 Trinkets", "Tier 3 Handgun", etc. that are widely used by containers and can be modified if you want an item to show up as random loot.
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Can't seem to get statusEffects to properly apply even to existing weapons either.
What's the format that you're using to edit the statusEffect field? I can't remember if that was one of the array fields that had issues being modded in the base game.
Yeah, I found those VendorSets late last night. Caused a complete lockup of the game trying to get the startingvendor to load a new trinket. More on that in a minute.

StatusEffect, I added it like so:

Code: Select all

percentToApplyStatusEffect : 15
	statusEffect : [ Wound_Bleeding2 ]
Which I directly copied from the export of the Blix, I believe it was you actually that posted the export.zip file I have been referencing. I also confirmed Wound_Bleeding2 was a valid statusEffect in the CSV put out by inXile. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The log error is:

SimpleJSONReader(): at input line 0: Can't convert to destination type: StatusEffect from value string 'Wound_Bleeding2'.
It was on my TODO list to fix that, but I was more concerned with how to get new items into the game.

I created a new Trinket, copied an existing trinket from the export as a base, and gave it a new name. I know my paths are correct, modifications on existing trinkets have been fine. I modified the startingVendor for testing using the example from inXile, set the VendorSet as follows:

{
	currencyInitial: 888,
	buyScale: 0.25
	skus :  [
/*		{
			itemTemplate: Usable_BloodPack_1
			count: 8
		}
		{ itemTemplate: AntiTank_Tier_3_1, count: 3 }*/
		{ 
			itemTemplate : #@"ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit"
			count : 1 
		}
	]
}
I can't spot any typos, the game log shows that it finds the new file mson and loads it, no errors at all there. Started a new game and rushed to that vendor to find nothing in the inventory, and you can't exit the dialog. Have to hard close the game. Getting this in the log indicating its referencing an object that doesn't exist, tho it loaded it in the log?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at INV_DragDropItem.PopulateData (.ItemInstance newItem, .Inventory newOwnerInventory, .PC pc, EquipmentSlot newSlot, InventoryFilter newFilter) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Log shows it loaded the object fine though:

SimpleJSONReader(/media/chris/Game_cache/steam/steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Linux/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/VendorSet/VendorSet_AZ0_StartingVendor.mson): at input line 10: 

Assignment: 'itemTemplate' = '#@ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit'

Loading override mod from ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit

SimpleJSONReader(/media/chris/Game_cache/steam/steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Linux/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit.mson): at input line 2: 
Assignment: 'displayName' = '<@>Air Jordans'

SimpleJSONReader(/media/chris/Game_cache/steam/steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Linux/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit.mson): at input line 3: 
Assignment: 'grammaticalName' = '<@>(a/[COUNT]) pair(/s) of Air Jordans'

SimpleJSONReader(/media/chris/Game_cache/steam/steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Linux/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit.mson): at input line 4: 
Assignment: 'description' = '<@>These flashy sneakers put a spring in your step, but celebrity has its costs.'

SimpleJSONReader(/media/chris/Game_cache/steam/steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Linux/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit.mson): at input line 8: 
Assignment: 'atlas' = 'WL2_Junk'

And so on. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. It finds the mson object and loads it, just like it loads my other overrides. This one it blows up on display, though, and this is just copied directly from an existing trinket object. I'm mostly using the examples from inXile for this too, for adding an item as they specified. Following their example, I also added the existing Trinket object to copy from, ie :

AirJordans : { 
To begin the block.

Really taking the wind out of my sails for modding this game,

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 18th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Looking at the original DLL code, the deserializer doesn't seem capable of referencing StatusEffects, as there's no FromString method in the StatusEffect class that the SimpleJSONReader needs. So there's no way to properly edit the statusEffect field without using my custom DLL.

As for the trinket, try using

itemTemplate : @"ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit"
in the VendorSet MSON, ie. removing the '#', and see if that works.
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
March 18th, 2018, 10:56 am
I once tried to mod the base game too just using MSON files, but once I realized how limited and bug-ridden the process was, I decided the game needed a wholesale rewrite.

fiteme_squirrel
Initiate

Post by fiteme_squirrel » March 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Executor_ wrote:
March 18th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Looking at the original DLL code, the deserializer doesn't seem capable of referencing StatusEffects, as there's no FromString method in the StatusEffect class that the SimpleJSONReader needs. So there's no way to properly edit the statusEffect field without using my custom DLL.

As for the trinket, try using

itemTemplate : @"ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Trinket/RollOfFixit"
in the VendorSet MSON, ie. removing the '#', and see if that works.
fiteme_squirrel wrote:
March 18th, 2018, 10:56 am
I once tried to mod the base game too just using MSON files, but once I realized how limited and bug-ridden the process was, I decided the game needed a wholesale rewrite.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd already tried that way. I've been trying everything from the developer-released docs, and it's just not working for some reason. I'm still playing around with it, but like I said, sails are deflated right now.

I'm on Linux but if I get up to it, I can try giving your DLL patch a spin. I was hoping to avoid creating a mod for release that relied on a hacked DLL, but it's really looking like that's the only way forward. I'll let you know how that goes. I was also figuring it wouldn't work under the Mono system, but maybe it will.

Going back to the StatusEffect, what's irritating is that the developer released the document detailing all of the StatusEffects with the impression that you could use them or modify existing items with them. Obviously, that doesn't work at all. This is actually a case of adding a status effect to an existing weapon, just to try it out. GRRR.

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Executor_ wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 10:20 am
Yes, the edited Assembly-CSharp.dll is required. The base game doesn't allow modding BaseStats such as Traits (perks and quirks).
Hi again, Executor.
My mod ia ready and I am very grateful for your help.
https://www.nexusmods.com/wasteland2/mods/65

I'd written about you and DELTA patch in the File credits.
If you want a more detailed description, just send me a text.

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 24th, 2018, 6:32 am

Hi, Executor.

I found a problem of XDELTA patch.

After patching REAL Conductive Armor Damage Multiplier during damage calculation = 2x Conductive Armor Damage Multiplier.

Tested with Neutron Projector and WORP Blaster on my character in Mobile Infantry Armor.

In original game 122 DMG from Neutron Projector and 115 from WORP Blaster.
After XDELTA patch without any modding - 244 DMG from Neutron Projector and 230 from WORP Blaster.

Can you fix it, pls?

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

And double damage from sniper rifles when their Armor Penetration > Target's Armor.
For test I have made 2 different snipers rifles with 100 Dmg. Always 200 Dmg to target with ctiticlal hit.

And Assault Rifles

My game is ruined :(

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 24th, 2018, 1:09 pm

0.9.4f now available here.

UPDATED GAME BUG FIXES
  • piercedArmorMultiplier DerivedStat base value was being added to the piercedArmorMultiplier field from ItemTemplate_Ammo for attacks by PCs where armorPen was greater than or equal to target armor.
Bug was caused by the piercedArmorMultiplier DerivedStat being set to

{
	initialValues : [
		{
			when : [ Situation.Always ]
			tooltipId : ""

subset : [ Situation.Always ]
			operation : Operation.Add
			value : 1.0
		}
	]
}
instead of

{
		{
			when : [ Situation.NPC ]

}
	]
}
NPCs don't use ItemTemplate_Ammos (at least not yet) so they weren't being affected. I probably didn't notice because I usually do combat tests in Supreme Jerk difficulty, and this bug was conveniently just cancelling out the 50% damage penalty for the player's party against enemies rather than some weird number.

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 24th, 2018, 11:48 pm

0.9.4g now available here.

UPDATED GAME BUG FIXES
  • piercedArmorMultiplier DerivedStat fixed again

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I realized "Damnit, forgot about melee weapons" when I was doing the fix in 0.9.4f.

Now set to

{
		{

}
		{
			when : [ Situation.PC, Situation.RangedWeapon ]

value : -1.0
		}
		{
			when : [ Situation.CNPC, Situation.RangedWeapon ]

value : -1.0
		}
	]
}
Fairly certain piercedArmorMultiplier is properly working now. :oops:

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 25th, 2018, 4:27 am

Executor_ wrote:
March 24th, 2018, 11:48 pm
0.9.4g now available here.
Fairly certain piercedArmorMultiplier is properly working now. :oops:

Thank you for this quick fix.
My tests say, that the problem has solved.

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 26th, 2018, 11:17 am

Hi Executor.
Can you help with anotheer question, pls?
I want add effect +1 Armor Penetration (as in Hollow Point persk for Assault Rifles) to the Obliterator perk (Shotguns).

1) Will this code work (I have noticed that perks have only one added effect, and in my perk there are two of them at once)?
2) Should I use code as in perk Obliterator

itemTemplateType : ItemTemplateType.WeaponShotgun
weaponSkill : ""
or code as in other Shotgun perks?

itemTemplateType : ItemTemplateType.WeaponRanged
weaponSkill : shotgun

{
	displayName : "<@>Obliterator"
	description : "<@>You're a wrecking ball. Enemies can run from you, but they can't hide.\n\n[b]Benefits:[/b]\r\n[00cc00]Attacking cover with Shotguns always completely destroys it\n+1 Armor Penetration when using Shotguns[-]"
	effectsDescription : ""
	attributeForTooltip : null
	attributeTooltipString : ""
	skillForTooltip : null
	skillTooltipString : ""
	itemTooltipString : "<@>Instantly destroys cover"        // only used if 'allowedItems' restrictions met

atlas : null                                             // sprite database; only used by quirks
	spriteName : ""                                          // name of the image to use from the sprite collection

pointCost : 1                                            // if 0 then is considered a quirk
	addToEveryone : false                                    // if true, every squad member receives this trait for free
	isHidden : false
	requiredTraits : [ ]
	requiredStatValues : {
		shotgun : 6
	}
	subTraits : [ ]                                          // this trait will be disabled if character has any of these traits

pointsChange : [ ]                                       // permanent one-time increase
	statModifiers : [                                        // only used if 'allowedItems' restrictions met
		{
			statName : armorPenetration

}
	]

allowedItems : [
		{
			itemTemplateType : ItemTemplateType.WeaponShotgun
			name : ""                                          // accepts partial matches
			tag : ""
			junkStatus : JunkStatus.Any

// any fields left as 'None' or blank will be ignored
			equipmentSlot : EquipmentSlot.None
			armorType : ArmorType.None
			weaponSkill : ""
			weaponType : WeaponType.None
			weaponAnimType : WeaponAnimType.None
			inventoryWeaponType : InventoryWeaponType.None
			damageType : DamageType.None
		}
	]

hudInfoText : "[PC] obliterates the enemy's cover in anger!"
	floatingText : {
		text : "<@>Obliterator"
		color : { r : 1.0, g : 1.0, b : 1.0, a : 1.0 }
	}
}

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 26th, 2018, 1:41 pm

1) Yeah, no reason it shouldn't work. Just hover over the armor penetration stat on the main HUD next to your character's current weapon to confirm it's functioning.

2) Either method is fine. I generally stuck to how inXile implemented them originally, and that varied from Trait to Trait.

ss7877
Initiate

Post by ss7877 » March 28th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Executor_ wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 1:41 pm
1) Yeah, no reason it shouldn't work. Just hover over the armor penetration stat on the main HUD next to your character's current weapon to confirm it's functioning.

2) Either method is fine. I generally stuck to how inXile implemented them originally, and that varied from Trait to Trait.
It is really working. Thanks.

P.S. I found a small problem of Delta patch. The hint about perk Gunner (Assault Rifles) is displayed and for other weapon types.
Screenshot below

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » March 28th, 2018, 3:57 pm

The Gunner perk, as per inXile's implementation, affects all ranged weapons that have burst fire.

As for the perk text showing up erroneously on weapons that don't have any burst fire mode: I'll try to fix that in 0.9.5 by adding a new field to allowedItems.