Is it even possible to mod DropSets?

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Executor_
Scholar

Is it even possible to mod DropSets?

Post by Executor_ » November 10th, 2016, 2:29 pm

I created a couple files named
AZ0_Dropset_AcesGrave.mson
DropSet_AZ0_GoatCan.mson

with the contents

Code: Select all

{
	drops : [
		{
			dropItems : [
				{ item : Usable_AntiBiotics_1}
				{ item : Ammo_762mm_S, min : 50, max: 60}
			]
		}
	]
}
Pretty much the same as the example DropSet code on this page https://wasteland2.inxile-entertainment ... dding/mson
except for a line deleted. It says there to save the file in "Mod/Imports/DropSet/FooDrops.mson", which I'm pretty sure is incorrect as elsewhere it says to put MSON files in "Mods/Import", and I've gotten weapon changes to work by putting them there.

Regardless, I tried a lot of different folder combination just in case there was a mispelling in the game code, including:

Mods/Import/DropSet
Mods/Import/DropSet/Scene DropSets
Mods/Import/DropSet/Scene DropSets/AZ0 Ranger Citadel
Mods/Import/DropSets
Mods/Import/DropSets/Scene DropSets
Mods/Import/DropSets/Scene DropSets/AZ0 Ranger Citadel
Mods/Import/Drop Set
Mods/Import/Drop Sets
Mod/Import/DropSet
Mods/Imports/DropSet
Mod/Imports/DropSet

Basically, I had a few dozen copies of those two MSON files, then tried starting a new game and seeing if the contents of either Aberforth's can or Ace's grave changed. They did not.

In the "Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data" directory, there's a file called "output_log.txt" that's created every time you run the game. For ItemTemplate_Weapon MSON files, it will note they are being loaded, but it never ever mentions trying to read any DropSet MSON, regardless of which folders the files were put in.

Has anyone gotten a DropSet file to load correctly?

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Re: Is it even possible to mod DropSets?

Post by PsychicMonk » November 10th, 2016, 7:02 pm

I only tried the FooDrops-Example and it worked with my WL2 DC Installation.
Location of "FooDrops.mson" on my PC: Mods\Import\DropSet\FooDrops.mson

As in the example I linked the dropset to the shopkeeper outside of Ranger Citadel via
Mods\Import\Arizona\AZ00_Ranger_Citadel\Spawner\Supply Officer Spawner_43438dd5-943a-4b9c-a7d0-6f10d4a31cef.mson

After killing her I can loot the items.

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » November 12th, 2016, 5:24 am

Thanks, that does indeed work. I'm assuming it's because of the "bOverrideDropSet : true" line in the spawner MSON file. But as far as I can tell, only NPCs are listed as having spawners. So how does one go about replacing the dropset for a crate, safe, grave, Quarex's case, etc.?

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » November 12th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Sorry, but I gave up trying to do some minor modding after I realized that I was constantly missing needed informations and how tedious it would be with the limited information I had.
(Does anyone know how to change the equiped weapon models the same way you can change the inventory representation via spriteName? The only way I found involved creating "new" weapons based on existing ones)