How Do You Change Portraits for NPCs?

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Grave
Scholar
Location: At Scott's Bar, waiting for this radiation cloud to blow past...

How Do You Change Portraits for NPCs?

Post by Grave » October 8th, 2016, 6:09 am

I have a ton of portraits, more than I can ever use for my Ranger parties. Some of them I feel would suit certain NPCs better than a custom Ranger. So, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!
"One thing about the desert: anything goes. It's just one big lawless sandbox. Do anything you want, but just don't get yourself killed. That tends to shorten your life span incredibly. Good luck, and may your Uzi never jam."

BlakeStone
Explorer

Re: How Do You Change Portraits for NPCs?

Post by BlakeStone » October 8th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Changing the default NPC portrait requires that you name your portrait file the exact same name as the in-game portrait as listed in the save game xml for the NPC and have your portrait file be in the portraits folder.

For your Rangers portraits, your portrait file needs to be in the portraits folder and and can be whatever name you like but have it match what is in the xml file.

My Ranger Editor will look in your portraits folder and you can assign the portrait to the Ranger you would like. It will also list the in-game portrait name for NPC's so you can know what to name your portrait file.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Grave
Scholar

Post by Grave » October 9th, 2016, 5:41 am

BlakeStone wrote:Changing the default NPC portrait requires that you name your portrait file the exact same name as the in-game portrait as listed in the save game xml for the NPC and have your portrait file be in the portraits folder.

For your Rangers portraits, your portrait file needs to be in the portraits folder and and can be whatever name you like but have it match what is in the xml file.

My Ranger Editor will look in your portraits folder and you can assign the portrait to the Ranger you would like. It will also list the in-game portrait name for NPC's so you can know what to name your portrait file.
Awesome... thanks for the info! I'll check out your utility and give it a shot!
"One thing about the desert: anything goes. It's just one big lawless sandbox. Do anything you want, but just don't get yourself killed. That tends to shorten your life span incredibly. Good luck, and may your Uzi never jam."

Grave
Scholar

Post by Grave » December 5th, 2016, 3:27 am

So, how would I change the portrait of non-party NPCs? There are a few NPCs that share the same, generic portrait image. I want to change some of those to unique portraits. Would the method be the same- modding the save game XML?

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » December 5th, 2016, 7:04 am

Changing npc portraits does not require game xml editing.
For npc's in your party, edit the name of the portrait you want to use and have it match what is already in the xml file for them.
For npc's you meet in the game, I don't think it is possible unless there is some way to do it by editing a .mson file the way you do for items.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Grave
Scholar

Post by Grave » December 5th, 2016, 6:18 pm

BlakeStone wrote: For npc's you meet in the game, I don't think it is possible unless there is some way to do it by editing a .mson file the way you do for items.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I have a few really good portraits that I'd like to use for various non-recruitable NPCs in the game.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » December 6th, 2016, 8:08 am

There is an "overridePortrait" setting as seen here: https://wasteland2.inxile-entertainment ... ng/classes