[MOD] Free Combat Camera v1.4 (now works with DC)

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Staehrminator
Acolyte

[MOD] Free Combat Camera v1.4 (now works with DC)

Post by Staehrminator » October 27th, 2014, 3:21 am

This mod is now included in the Wasteland2 DC Patchwork mod, by bman654.
Go there and download it: http://www.nexusmods.com/wasteland2/mods/49/

If you want the standalone installer version, the links below still work.

DOWNLOADS:
Version 1.4 (for the Director's Cut): http://www.mediafire.com/download/9mrkx ... CC_1.4.zip
Version 1.3 (works with Patch 6): http://1drv.ms/1OAzAhz
Version 1.2 (works with Patch 3): http://1drv.ms/1zzOWNs
Version 1.1 (works with Patch 2): http://1drv.ms/1wGbkC7

This little hack stops the camera from automatically jerking around during combat.
It will now stay put unless you move it manually, and you can now also move it when it's not your turn.
If you want to zoom in on an enemy before you eviscerate them, or have a constant view of the battlefield like the tactical god you are, well, now you can!

As a side effect, many camera-related glitches in the game should now be fixed.
For example, the camera going through the floor, all the textures disappearing, hangups, etc... Good riddance.

--- Installation ---

Extract the archive to Wasteland 2's Managed folder, this is "Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\Managed".
Then run the installer, and do what it says.
If an error occurs, restore the backup that the installer made (see the Uninstallation section of this readme).

--- READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING! ---

I am NOT responsible for anything this mod does to your game. You are.
The installer creates a backup of the game code for you, restore that one if something went wrong.

The installer requires that the .NET 4.5 framework is installed.
If you are on Windows 8 you already have this, otherwise you can download it from Microsoft.
Even better, install 4.5.1 or higher.

During installation some temporary files will be created, the installer will delete them afterwards.
These require around 170mb of disk space. Don't run the installer if you have less free space than that.
The installer also requires a lot of RAM. Don't run it with 400 browser tabs open.

You must not have Write Protection enabled on the Managed folder or anything in it.

There will never be a Mac version of the mod. You are not allowed to download it on a Mac.

--- Compatibility ---

This mod is made for Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. It does NOT work on the regular Wasteland 2.
Version 1.3 of the mod is for Wasteland 2, grab that one from the link above if you want it for some reason.
I will update the mod if this becomes necessary when new game patches are released. If I get around to it. Probably.

This mod should be compatible with any other mods that don't change the camera behavior.
If another mod has its own distributed version of Assembly-CSharp.dll, you must install that mod before this one.
Read the FCCHacks file if you want to see exactly what this mod does.

--- Uninstallation ---

When you install the mod the installer will back up your game code, unless it finds an existing backup with the same name.
The backup is called Assembly-CSharpFCCBackup.dll, and is located in the Managed folder.
To uninstall, simply restore that backup by renaming it to Assembly-CSharp.dll.
Last edited by Staehrminator on November 24th, 2015, 12:34 am, edited 9 times in total.

Darmoth85
Initiate

Re: [MOD] Free Combat Camera v1.0

Post by Darmoth85 » October 27th, 2014, 10:38 am

You Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 27th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Darmoth85 wrote:You Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!
Yar! There be truths here.

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD
Initiate

Post by 5Ta1k3r_ReWinD » October 28th, 2014, 6:06 am

So, only one question is.

When the enemy beyond the borders of the screen, its movement will not be visible, right?
And there is no way to verify, on the screen it or not?

Anyway, thanks for great job.

p.s. And Hi again, it's still me, the guy with all not working.

I have this:
+standard Windows message camerahack.exe has stoped working.

Momozo
Initiate

Post by Momozo » October 28th, 2014, 9:05 am

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD wrote:So, only one question is.

When the enemy beyond the borders of the screen, its movement will not be visible, right?
And there is no way to verify, on the screen it or not?

Anyway, thanks for great job.

p.s. And Hi again, it's still me, the guy with all not working.

I have this:
+standard Windows message camerahack.exe has stoped working.
I have the same problem, but was too tired to post. And I have .Net 4.5 installed.

Udzi
Initiate

Post by Udzi » October 28th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Great mod. Wish they had option to do this in game at start.

I however have one very weird bug.

It seems that at some points during the combat some characters just freeze and there is no way to continue the fight. End turn button doesn't work and can't move or fight even if there are action points left. It happened to both my characters and also on enemy where they make few moves and just stand there not doing anything.

I have tried few different saves and on both random encounters and in Prison map and I had same problem with combat just freezing on random times (can't explain it better).

When I restored the backup file and tried those same fights it all went fine.

I have no sure way of knowing if it's related to this mod, but besides some custom portraits there are no other mods running in game for me and since it's only showing when this mod is installed I assume it's connected but I can't see how.

I really can't go back to the way it was before specially after trying this so if there is anything I or anyone can do to make this work it would mean really a lot to me.

Since it's stopping me from doing the combat parts of the game unfortunately I can't use it now :(

Wish I could explain better or be more speciffic but it's very weird to me too.

EDIT- Also not sure if it has something to do with loading saved game or I need to start new. Also it would help to know if anyone else encountered any similar problems.

Thanks
Last edited by Udzi on October 28th, 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 28th, 2014, 12:12 pm

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD wrote:So, only one question is.

Wouldn't that be a more apt reaction?.. Should you know if they are running about beyond a F.O.W?

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Post by Staehrminator » October 28th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Momozo and Stalker:

You won't be able to see the enemy if the enemy is off the screen (naturally), but you can move the camera while the enemy is taking their turn.

Could you send me your Assembly-CSharp DLL? My email is magnuss (at) outlook.com

Udzi:
Send me your DLL to the email above. Preferably the hacked version.

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Post by Staehrminator » October 29th, 2014, 4:33 am

Stalker and Momozo:
I've examined the DLL Stalker sent me. It's been taken apart and modified by someone (let's call him Bob), which should normally work fine, since Bob hasn't changed the camera code. However, Bob has not been doing his homework when reassembling the DLL, so the code sections are now in a different order than what FCC expects, this causes the installer to fail and throw an error. Bob has also forgotten to include the header data, so the installer won't be able to reassemble the DLL in the current configuration.

I am working on a more robust installer that should be able to handle sloppy DLLs like Bob's, in the meantime try installing FCC first on a vanilla DLL, and then use OVNI's Mod Injector to install Bob's mod afterwards.

Udzi:
I haven't been able to figure out why this happens, but I'll include a safeguard for what I suspect is the problem in the next version.

Also, I've finally found out how to prevent the camera from following rangers when you move them. Can you believe, it was in the InputManager after all. The camera should stand completely still in combat now, unless you move it yourself. I'm also planning on increasing the minimum and maximum distances for zooming, so you can get closer or further away if you want.

Udzi
Initiate

Post by Udzi » October 29th, 2014, 5:40 am

Just an update on my situation.

It seems that I messed up when installing yesterday because now it's working fine.

I did do few things different today so it might be some of that.

Yesterday I did installation but didn't have .NET when needed. I got to that step and couldn't finish so I stopped installation, got latest .NET and resumed. After I finished installation I just started the game (also didn't delete those extra files needed for the installation) and gave the mod a try and had that problem I posted about earlier.

Today I decided to give it a fresh go but without interupting the auto installer. Also today I deleted those extra files and folder from the Managed folder. After finishing installation with no interupts and deleting all those files I tried the saves that were bugging out yesterday and it was all fine now.

It seems that either getting the .NET in the middle of the installation process or leaving all those extra files in Managed folder were breaking the game for me and doing it again today properly fixed my issue.

So I'm happy to say great work Staehrminator, the mod is awesome and i'm looking forward to the new stuff you plan to put in 8-)

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Re: [MOD] Free Combat Camera v1.1

Post by Staehrminator » October 29th, 2014, 10:42 am

New version! I've updated the description and the download link. Here's the changelog for v1.1:

The installer no longer requires that the DLL's code sections follow a certain order.
As a result it requires a lot more memory, but it should now work on modded DLLs that change this order.
It will notify you if it runs out of memory, if that happens try closing some programs and restarting it.

The installer now preserves type ordering in the DLL.
This should make it a whole lot simpler to install other mods on top of FCC.

The installer now works on DLLs that don't have header/metadata info.

The installer now exits if it detects that you've already installed FCC on this DLL.
Previously if you installed FCC twice it would act like everything went fine, but actually pump the code full of bugs.

Added a theoretical fix for a reported problem where combat gets stuck indefinitely.

The camera no longer follows your rangers when you move them in combat.

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD
Initiate

Post by 5Ta1k3r_ReWinD » October 29th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Also, i find why i failed even then i try to use vanila Assembly-CSharp.dll
After crash it don't clean up tmp file, so after first fail it will be crash fovever.

Not sure, it is really need change something, or I could just install this mod before other.
Sometimes test 1.1. Want to look at bug ;)
If another mod has its own distributed version of Assembly-CSharp.dll, you must install that mod before this one.
And even now i don't understand which mod "this" and which mod "that".
So was ur advice about insallation order to follow the instruction, or to break it.

BTW is so cool.
I thought I've adapted to W2 camera, but no. It was just indescribable pleasure.
And the enemies who "teleport" closer to you then u don't look, even add a mystical charm to game.

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Post by Staehrminator » October 30th, 2014, 10:10 am

Uh... Teleporting enemies shouldn't happen. They should still move normally, but sometimes you need to move the camera if you want to see them.

For installing:
Let's say mod 1 includes a file called Assembly-CSharp.dll. Mod 2 is this one, FCC.
Then you must install mod 1 before mod 2.

The installer does not clear up the temp file because it assumes that if the temp file is there, then a previous installation process was aborted midway, perhaps because of memory issues or that the .NET framework was not installed. It doesn't check the temp file for errors, which I agree that maybe it should. I'll think about doing it in the next version.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 30th, 2014, 11:42 am

I'm glad I managed to get in a ground floor with a fixed dll, mine works a treat, never a prob.

Staehrminator
Acolyte

Post by Staehrminator » October 31st, 2014, 2:53 am

And I'm glad to hear that! You *could* download v1.1 if you want the camera to stand still when you move your rangers, but if you're fine with the current version then keep on playing, my man.

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD
Initiate

Post by 5Ta1k3r_ReWinD » October 31st, 2014, 3:01 am

Staehrminator wrote:Uh... Teleporting enemies shouldn't happen. They should still move normally, but sometimes you need to move the camera if you want to see them.
LOL. Sorry for misunderstood. :roll:

But u can never be sure, what happens when you're not looking. May be enemies roll around on the ground, or fly on jetpacks.
So for my taste it looks like the Enderman from Minecraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... IeQgwEJUms

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » November 4th, 2014, 9:42 am

Installed, and I thought it went without errors (have 4.5 NET Framework installed), however, the camera keeps moving itself during combat. Any ideas on how to debug?
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » November 4th, 2014, 9:50 am

Ah! Just reran the script and works now.
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » November 4th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Staehrminator wrote:And I'm glad to hear that! You *could* download v1.1 if you want the camera to stand still when you move your rangers, but if you're fine with the current version then keep on playing, my man.
LMAO, in all honesty I didn't really notice this still happened til a day or two ago.

Combat doesn't really last too long, Ranger is as difficult as I go, and I tend to stay in 'clump' formation so my chars don't really do that much moving around, I use 'sitting duck' tactics. My main issue was always the enemies.

It's all good.

VresiBerba
Acolyte

Post by VresiBerba » November 6th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Is this compatible with patch 3?

Edit: To answer my own question, it seems not. I ran the installer on a fresh install, and even though it reports no errors, it doesn't work in-game. Can we please get an update, pretty please ;)