A Weapon Re-balance Mod (Patch 4 OK!)

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

spardeous
Novice
Posts: 38
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by spardeous » November 5th, 2014, 11:09 am

I eagerly await the update to this mod for the new patch.

Araton
Initiate
Posts: 22
Joined: October 25th, 2014, 5:27 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Araton » November 6th, 2014, 1:11 am

I'm planning on giving this mod a go. Can I install this on top of my current game and continue without breaking anything?

Halfgeek
Acolyte
Posts: 74
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Halfgeek » November 6th, 2014, 5:41 am

Araton wrote:I'm planning on giving this mod a go. Can I install this on top of my current game and continue without breaking anything?
It won't break anything, lots of users on Steam have been using it safely. But follow installation instructions, don't rename the original file (backup_) and leave it in the folder, it will bug out. There only must be one Item file in that folder. :)

Also, I've tested it, it works fine for Patch 3! All the weapon changes are in effect.

But the patch change the weight of energy cell & .50 cal ammo as well as modify a trinket (backpack), these changes will not be in effect with my mod.

When I find some free time away from developing my own game, I will make the changes using the base patch 3 file.

User avatar
Blind Ryan
Acolyte
Posts: 72
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 6:59 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Blind Ryan » November 6th, 2014, 11:36 am

Stupid question I'm sure but what about blunt and brawl? Also, are you planning on expanding the mod beyond solely weapons or will this be a focused mod?

spardeous
Novice
Posts: 38
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by spardeous » November 6th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Blind Ryan wrote:Stupid question I'm sure but what about blunt and brawl? Also, are you planning on expanding the mod beyond solely weapons or will this be a focused mod?
I would also recommend a complete re-balancing, Blunt weapons can't keep up, Brawling doesn't shine until much later(Blades might even be better than it, now), and I think you over-nerfed AR slightly.

Halfgeek
Acolyte
Posts: 74
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Halfgeek » November 6th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Blind Ryan wrote:Stupid question I'm sure but what about blunt and brawl? Also, are you planning on expanding the mod beyond solely weapons or will this be a focused mod?
I haven't played with blunt or brawling so I am not confident in tweaking their numbers, all the other weapons I have played a lot with so I know their weaknesses.

Brawling is very strong already from mid-game onwards, with very high crit multiplier and guarantee crit rate. I'm hesitant to touch it. I'm OK with brawling being very strong late-game, because as I've said, I'm fine with the idea that melee is dominant when it gets into melee range. If melee was weaker than ranged weapons, there's no incentive to rush in the open exposing yourself to danger to fight melee.

If you guys come up with a suggested list of changes for Blunt, I'll be happy to take a careful look and the next time I update with Patch 3 as a base, I'll add the blunt changes too.

Halfgeek
Acolyte
Posts: 74
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Halfgeek » November 6th, 2014, 9:20 pm

spardeous wrote:
Blind Ryan wrote:Stupid question I'm sure but what about blunt and brawl? Also, are you planning on expanding the mod beyond solely weapons or will this be a focused mod?
I would also recommend a complete re-balancing, Blunt weapons can't keep up, Brawling doesn't shine until much later(Blades might even be better than it, now), and I think you over-nerfed AR slightly.
It's a 20% nerf on users of the G41, because it was 100% accurate with headshot burst with mods, now it's ~80% accurate. But the other ARs, such as the AUG, FN-Fal and G3 was buffed a lot (they were terrible before with no niche or purpose, very low damage).

The M16 was just completely OP given how early you can acquire it. It does more damage than equivalent Sniper Rifles per shot, but it can 3x burst on top of it. O_o

MahtiMoukari
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: November 3rd, 2014, 1:06 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by MahtiMoukari » November 7th, 2014, 3:27 am

Question: Is it possible to give T1 AR's burst options? or are they hardcoded in the same manner as SMG's?

Burst being maybe 2 round with somewhat decent penalty and/or high AP cost (6/7), would make the lifespan of those M1/M14's/Rusties slighty higher.

Halfgeek
Acolyte
Posts: 74
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Halfgeek » November 7th, 2014, 4:33 am

MahtiMoukari wrote:Question: Is it possible to give T1 AR's burst options? or are they hardcoded in the same manner as SMG's?

Burst being maybe 2 round with somewhat decent penalty and/or high AP cost (6/7), would make the lifespan of those M1/M14's/Rusties slighty higher.
After the Radio Tower I got the tier 2 ARs (Famas), found it in one of the locked boxes in that zone.
Even if you did not, you would have enough loot to purchase it from the NPC outside Ranger Citadel.

So those weapons are really obsolete very quickly.

But yes, its hardcoded in the Items hex. :/

MahtiMoukari
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: November 3rd, 2014, 1:06 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by MahtiMoukari » November 7th, 2014, 5:18 am

Halfgeek wrote:
MahtiMoukari wrote:Question: Is it possible to give T1 AR's burst options? or are they hardcoded in the same manner as SMG's?

Burst being maybe 2 round with somewhat decent penalty and/or high AP cost (6/7), would make the lifespan of those M1/M14's/Rusties slighty higher.
After the Radio Tower I got the tier 2 ARs (Famas), found it in one of the locked boxes in that zone.
Even if you did not, you would have enough loot to purchase it from the NPC outside Ranger Citadel.

So those weapons are really obsolete very quickly.

But yes, its hardcoded in the Items hex. :/
Ah, shame. But thanks for the info. I know you can get the famas almost right away. But I usually go for that M16 after AG/Highpool. Would have been sweet if those T1's wouldve gotten that burst option though, kinda lets you have more of that "use what you find" feeling rather than "look at all these weapon parts, lets do some shopping" :P

Atchodas
Scholar
Posts: 190
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 4:26 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Atchodas » November 7th, 2014, 6:46 am

it is normal to find better weapons in Ranger HQ than on dead raiders body
STOP INTRODUCING NEW BUGS TO THIS GAME THAT IS ALREADY VERY BUGGY

User avatar
Raestloz
Explorer
Posts: 479
Joined: October 8th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Raestloz » November 7th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Don't think anyone's asked already, but does this mod work with patch 3?
My leadership Ranger is my medic

User avatar
Devilfish
Acolyte
Posts: 76
Joined: October 26th, 2014, 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Devilfish » November 7th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Yes :D
Halfgeek wrote:Also, I've tested it, it works fine for Patch 3! All the weapon changes are in effect.

But the patch change the weight of energy cell & .50 cal ammo as well as modify a trinket (backpack), these changes will not be in effect with my mod.
With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book!

phobos2077
Novice
Posts: 29
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 9:36 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by phobos2077 » November 7th, 2014, 10:18 pm

This looks sweet!! A few questions:
1) can I install this mod and continue from my savegame? (will changes take effect?)
2) don't you think that buffing SMGs damage so much is a bad idea? They didn't seem weak in my playthrough. My team consists of a pistol, shotgun/blunt, heavy, 2 snipers and SMG. The SMG guy was doing the most damage most of the time (after Angela took off, of course).

As I see it, this mod just makes combat more fast-paced, effectively making most weapons do 2x damage. Maybe it would be better to buff less (but still buff) and nerf AR's more instead?
(I'm good with heavy weapons damage buff, they SHOULD be most devastating weapons, WHEN they work).

User avatar
Devilfish
Acolyte
Posts: 76
Joined: October 26th, 2014, 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Devilfish » November 7th, 2014, 11:43 pm

phobos2077 wrote:don't you think that buffing SMGs damage so much is a bad idea?
SMGs and handguns become pretty much useless late game compared to other weapons. By the time your SMG user has gotten close enough to do meh damage, your sniper and AR users will have taken care of it, by doing twice as much damage at three times the range. Endgame ends up being AR and sniper doing massive damage from the back, melee users doing massive damage up close, and your SMG and handgun users running around in the middle sucking their thumbs and looking confused.
With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book!

Halfgeek
Acolyte
Posts: 74
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (All ranged weapons & blades)

Post by Halfgeek » November 8th, 2014, 12:30 am

phobos2077 wrote:This looks sweet!! A few questions:
1) can I install this mod and continue from my savegame? (will changes take effect?)
2) don't you think that buffing SMGs damage so much is a bad idea? They didn't seem weak in my playthrough. My team consists of a pistol, shotgun/blunt, heavy, 2 snipers and SMG. The SMG guy was doing the most damage most of the time (after Angela took off, of course).

As I see it, this mod just makes combat more fast-paced, effectively making most weapons do 2x damage. Maybe it would be better to buff less (but still buff) and nerf AR's more instead?
(I'm good with heavy weapons damage buff, they SHOULD be most devastating weapons, WHEN they work).
1. Changes will take effect you can continue your game.

2. Its a needed change due to late AZ and CA is when SMG power drops off significantly. Once you reach the Uzi, its close to being the best already because later SMGs don't get much higher damage per shot, they just get more penetration. I aimed to have SMGs around 20-25% more powerful than equivalent AR, but with less penetration and range (obviously), so its limited to being effective only against low armor targets. In its intended role, close range killer of low armor targets, its unmatched.

This patch is best used in Ranger or SJ difficulty. It's intended purpose is to make all builds competitive in the harder difficulties, and not just AR dudes with one trophy Gamma Ray Burst EW Ranger.

As it is, in Seasoned mode, it doesn't matter that most of the weapons are bad compared to AR, the game is easy enough to make no difference. :D

Hazardo
Novice
Posts: 30
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 3:14 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (Patch 3 OK!)

Post by Hazardo » November 8th, 2014, 3:36 am

I'll also be giving this mod a go, the changes are mostly very reasonable. No comment on brawling, but by a quick glance modded bladed weapons don't seem to be that OP compared to unmodded blunt. Generally better, yes, but they lose on penetration and the high-end blunt instruments are still really good.

As a side note, is it possible for you to switch AK-47 and AK-97 inventory images and in-game models around? It's pretty clear that they're mixed up, and the devs don't seem to be noticing.

User avatar
NovaRain
Scholar
Posts: 127
Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Location: Taiwan

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (Patch 3 OK!)

Post by NovaRain » November 8th, 2014, 4:19 am

Hazardo wrote:As a side note, is it possible for you to switch AK-47 and AK-97 inventory images and in-game models around? It's pretty clear that they're mixed up, and the devs don't seem to be noticing.
Because AK-97 has wooden furniture but AK-47 looks like with synthetic parts? Judging from their internal file names, they are intended.

Hazardo
Novice
Posts: 30
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 3:14 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (Patch 3 OK!)

Post by Hazardo » November 8th, 2014, 5:09 am

That's weird. Still, any idea if this is something that can be done without proper modding tools?

Mana85
Initiate
Posts: 1
Joined: November 9th, 2014, 10:10 am

Re: A Weapon Re-balance Mod (Patch 3 OK!)

Post by Mana85 » November 9th, 2014, 10:19 am

Any plans on making this work for enemies also?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests