More Pizepi Joren Portraits!

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

More Pizepi Joren Portraits!

Post by Zombra » October 10th, 2014, 11:24 am

So I just recruited Pizepi Joren in the game and I'm unhappy with her portrait:

Jad made a pretty nice alternative

And azar came up with another one

But now I'm getting greedy. I want the perfect portrait for her, and neither of those capture her personality "just so". So this is my challenge to you, yes YOU, dear reader, to come up with your own version and post it here.

When I get home I'll reload a save and transcribe her recruitment dialogue in spoiler tags to help in really nailing down what she is like.

I don't know, maybe this is taking customization too far, but what the hell :)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: More Pizepi Joren Portraits!

Post by Zombra » October 11th, 2014, 1:38 am

I attempted a recolor of another portrait, but I'm not too happy with it:

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » October 11th, 2014, 3:14 am

Zombra wrote:I attempted a recolor of another portrait, but I'm not too happy with it:
It beats the original though. :) '

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » October 11th, 2014, 5:35 am

That one's pretty neat. Thumbs up!

Patient Roller
Scholar

Post by Patient Roller » October 11th, 2014, 6:25 am

Umm.. Isn't she supposed to be a hideous mutant? When I see that 1 charisma, I imagine bulging, unevenly sized eyes, a horrible rash on her face, greasy hair. And droopy boobs. Not so much some sort of green superbabe. ;)

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » October 11th, 2014, 7:44 am

Patient Roller wrote:Umm.. Isn't she supposed to be a hideous mutant? When I see that 1 charisma, I imagine bulging, unevenly sized eyes, a horrible rash on her face, greasy hair. And droopy boobs. Not so much some sort of green superbabe. ;)
Wouldn't the green skin be enough? If someone with green skin like that walks towards you, wouldn't you at least be nervous about the chance of whatever she's having might be contageous? :P

Exogorth
Acolyte

Post by Exogorth » October 11th, 2014, 8:05 am

If you like your female mutants a little rough:

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » October 11th, 2014, 8:34 am

Meh, I'd prefer Mary instead. :P

Exogorth
Acolyte

Post by Exogorth » October 11th, 2014, 8:38 am

I'm pretty sure the mods wouldn't appreciate me posting that...

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 11th, 2014, 9:27 am

Patient Roller wrote:Umm.. Isn't she supposed to be a hideous mutant?
Well, the English description of Charisma in the game discusses favorable reactions and trust: "might talk about things they would otherwise have kept to themselves". A green teenage babe isn't the first person I would want to tell my darkest secrets to. In game terms, Charisma represents how fast Vargas will promote you; that's it - and again, some stranger of a mutant girl would be an unlikely candidate to become a Ranger officer.

However, you are correct! She mentions flat out that she is ugly like all the mutants, which probably is why they actually gave her the 1. I will take this under advisement in new attempts to make a new portrait for her!
Not so much some sort of green superbabe. ;)
On the other hand, I enjoy looking at pictures of superbabes, so hell with it, I may stretch the canon a little :P Maybe she only thinks she's ugly!

I mentioned before that I hoped to transcribe her 'icebreaker' recruitment text. Here it is:
Wasteland 2 wrote:Near the lab entrance waits a young female mutant. She looks nervous, but steps forward as you draw near.

Pizepi Joren said, "Could I speak to you for a moment?"

Ranger said, "Sure. Go ahead."

Pizepi Joren said, "I hope you don't think me forward, but ... well, our elders here have always said that we must never leave the village. That people on the outside would hate us for our ugliness and kill us, but, well, you have proved to me that there is goodness and tolerance in the world beyond, and ... and I've always wanted to see it, so ..."

Ranger said, "Yes? So?"

Pizepi Joren said, "So I was wondering if I could come with you and see the world. It has been my fondest wish since I was a child looking at the picture books in the Darwin Library."

Pizepi Joren said, "I ... I know I am young and sheltered, but I am not without my uses. I have a strong background in robotics and medicine, and I have participated in Darwin's civilian defense training class, so I know how to shoot a gun. Er, and I am also told that I have a pleasing contralto singing voice."

Ranger said, "We can't guarantee your safety, but if you want to come, you are welcome."

Pizepi Joren said, "Oh, thank you Rangers! This is the greatest day of my life!"

Pizepi Joren said, "There is just one thing. You must never tell anyone I am from Darwin. Our elders do not want anyone knowing that mutants live here, for fear they will come and kill us. If anyone asks, tell them I'm from ... uh ... Cincinnati! Er, I don't actually know where that is, but it has always seemed such a romantic name!"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 11th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Honestly, if they'd just touch up the nose and lips on the original picture, she'd look like less of an Orc, and be fine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

asaphe
Initiate

Post by asaphe » October 12th, 2014, 9:16 am

I always thought that fact she says "our elders here have always said that we must never leave the village. That people on the outside would hate us for our ugliness and kill us" is more about the elders trying to hide from the outside world and scare their people to stay in hiding and not necessarily because they are hideous monsters.

Aroddo
Acolyte

Post by Aroddo » October 12th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Historically, people don't commit genocide on people because of their uglyness - they slaughter people because they are different. Like worshipping the same god while looking in a different direction.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 18th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Aroddo wrote:Historically, people don't commit genocide on people because of their uglyness - they slaughter people because they are different. Like worshipping the same god while looking in a different direction.
Or worshipping the sandal instead of the gourd.

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » October 18th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Ei Carumba wrote:
Aroddo wrote:Historically, people don't commit genocide on people because of their uglyness - they slaughter people because they are different. Like worshipping the same god while looking in a different direction.
:lol:

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 19th, 2014, 10:21 am

Ei Carumba wrote:
Amen. Er, +1.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » October 19th, 2014, 10:32 am

I took another image I had lying around and performed some colour changes.

Not a perfect solution, but it's got that "mutant" look. I hope someone gets some use out of it.

Darmoth85
Initiate

Post by Darmoth85 » October 27th, 2014, 10:36 am

Hrrm... how would one go about replacing an NPC portrait? Last I recall you couldn't edit their portraits in the ranger editor.

Exogorth
Acolyte

Post by Exogorth » October 28th, 2014, 12:21 am

Open your save in a text editor. Search for the character's name. For instance, for Pizepi, search for "pizepi" and you find the following line:

Code: Select all

<displayName><@>Pizepi Joren{F}</displayName><portraitName>wl2_portrait_Vipula</portraitName>
Change the <portraitName> value to the filename (without extension) of your desired portrait in the Custom Portraits folder. Load your save and you get something like this (click for full size):

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 31st, 2015, 5:37 pm

Now that I'm playing through the DC, I took it upon myself to make another one. What do you think? :)

Original art