Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities (and bugfixes!)

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.
Shadow Jack
Scholar

Executor_ wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:10 am 0.9.4.088 now available here

CHANGELOG
MODDING
  • adding a new child GameObject (like a mod mount for a weapon) to a pre-existing prefab wasn't being marked as DontDestroyOnLoad, causing it to disappear soon after; creating a new prefab using the template field was working fine
Thanks! So how to add new model now? I 've just tried it and holstered pistol still appears on the back.
Executor_
Explorer

This latest patch was to address an issue apoc emailed me about a couple weeks ago.

As for your issue, I used the files you sent me. You didn't provide an ItemTemplate so I just modified an existing one:
"Import/ItemTemplate/ItemTemplate_Equipment/ItemTemplate_Weapon/ItemTemplate_WeaponRanged/Handgun_Tier_1_1.mson"

Code: Select all

{
	prefab : W_TT_Pistol                                           // 3D model
}
The result: Image
Seems like it's working as intended.

I mentioned a while back about holstered position being determined by the weaponType field in the ItemTemplate_Weapon MSONs. If you want the weapon to end up on the hip, make sure it's set to WeaponType.Ranged. If you use WeaponType.Ranged_2H, it'll go on the back.
Shadow Jack
Scholar

Yep, you are right, sorry. Messed up weapon type in my converter file. When you create new weapon from scratch instead of modifying existing one you have numerous opportunities to overlook something. Thanks for your help.
Shadow Jack
Scholar

Hi, is it possible to edit skill usage AP cost?
Executor_
Explorer

Have you tried modifying the actionPointCostToUse field in the Skill_Challenge MSONs?
Shadow Jack
Scholar

Totally forgot that challenge skills have different structure. Thanks.
Executor_
Explorer

0.9.4.089 now available here

Localization.zip has been updated so make sure to download it again too and extract into your "/WL2_Data/StreamingAssets/Localization/" directory.

CHANGELOG
GENERAL CHANGES
  • added skill usage speed slider in Gameplay options
  • increased the granularity of the combat speed slider in Gameplay options
davoker
Acolyte

You are doing a fantastic job with this game, and since a long time ago too, out of curiosity, what is your opinion about W3? just curious hehe

Thanks for keep working on W2 Executor, it will always be one of my favorite games of the genre, every now and then I run it and I always enjoy it *O*
srch2015
Initiate

Hi Executor_!
Huge thanks for your mod-framework! Using it to mod Wasteland 2 was as much joy, as it was playing the game itself. Everything works perfectly, except for a minor issue, which I'll describe below.
Overall, amazing job! This is like a dream come true.
By the way, I used older WL2_0.9.4.086 version, but, before I transition to the latest one, maybe it is possible to fix that one issue (described below)? I, for one, would certainly greatly appreciate that.

Now, for the issue (I use 1366x768, just in case it somehow depends on the resolution):

The UI that's used during the creation of a custom ranger. It looks like the UI is intentionally upscaled on this particular screen. That leads to a minor issue: If you add new skills to the game, they overlap the bottom part of the skills sub-screen, because there is no slider on the side (but only during custom character creation, on that particular screen).

So, I have a feeling this could be fixed by:
  • Making UI on this screen to be scaled back to normal size. That will allow adding several new skills without overlapping things.
  • Making UI auto-scale skills subscreen if there are more than default set number of skills present.
  • Adding a slide-bar on the right side of skills sub-screen, considering the game already has it when you actually play it and has no issues with depicting several new skills in the skills sub-screen.
  • Any other way to make it work?
I'm not a coder myself, so I don't know how much of a pain in the ass this fix would be, but frankly, this is the only handicap that I've encountered during the work on the mod. I didn't try to add new items etc, though. Only new skills/traits, general tweaks.

Also, I'd like to ask: Is it possible to allow working with music/general audio in the game?
Like a possibility to add new tracks, making particular battles or locations use custom defined music files?
Like, maybe there is a way to make locations use audio files predefined in some customizable .mson file? And to use audio files stored in a custom folder (e.g. MUSIC) in the IMPORT folder?

So that basically, a modder could:
  • Add own audio files to some folder and import it like all other IMPORT files that override/add things in the game.
  • Use .mson files to define what audio files to use during battles or as an ambient music for locations.
And I mean not to just replace vanilla audio, but a possibility to actually make game recognize and use on the fly all additional custom files, like it does with new skills/traits, for example.

Once again, I'm so glad I've found your work!
Wasteland 2 takes a very special place in my heart too.
I've just finished Wasteland 3 and it made me appreciate W2 even more. W3 felt all wrong to me, almost like a glorified spin-off DLC (this is my subjective opinion, of course) :(

P. S. By the way, have you considered making W3 moddable also, like you did with W2? Or is it way too different in this regard?
TheReflex
Initiate

I have a crash problem that seems related to the patch.

When attempting to enter Seal Beach via the I Am Legend quest line, the game hangs on the load screen for Seal Beach. However, if I switch the patch .dll back to the original .dll, I am able to re-load the save and progress to Seal Beach without issue.

The issue only comes up with the I Am Legend quest line. If I am going to Seal Beach on the regular story line, patch installed, it's works.
Executor_
Explorer

davoker wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 5:48 pm You are doing a fantastic job with this game, and since a long time ago too, out of curiosity, what is your opinion about W3? just curious hehe
I've only played a little bit of WL3. I've been meaning to get around to finishing it, but last time I tried it just made me want to mod WL2 some more. Speaking of which, I've never even finished WL2.
srch2015 wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:49 am The UI that's used during the creation of a custom ranger. It looks like the UI is intentionally upscaled on this particular screen. That leads to a minor issue: If you add new skills to the game, they overlap the bottom part of the skills sub-screen, because there is no slider on the side (but only during custom character creation, on that particular screen).
I'm aware of the issue with additional skills overlapping the rest of the UI in character creation. I tried to fix the issue a long time ago, but trying to get a scrollbar to work there proved too frustrating. UI changes always end up taking way too long. Since people don't spend too much time on character creation, I decided to put it on the backburner. I have learned quite a bit about editing the UI since then, so if I find some time, I'll try resolving it again.
srch2015 wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:49 am Also, I'd like to ask: Is it possible to allow working with music/general audio in the game?
Like a possibility to add new tracks, making particular battles or locations use custom defined music files?
Like, maybe there is a way to make locations use audio files predefined in some customizable .mson file? And to use audio files stored in a custom folder (e.g. MUSIC) in the IMPORT folder?

So that basically, a modder could:
  • Add own audio files to some folder and import it like all other IMPORT files that override/add things in the game.
  • Use .mson files to define what audio files to use during battles or as an ambient music for locations.
And I mean not to just replace vanilla audio, but a possibility to actually make game recognize and use on the fly all additional custom files, like it does with new skills/traits, for example.
I looked into it and it seems like loading new music at runtime should be possible. From what I recall, maps have specific music that they play and that should be easy enough to mod. Not sure how you would go about specifying a battle though.
srch2015 wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:49 am P. S. By the way, have you considered making W3 moddable also, like you did with W2? Or is it way too different in this regard?
Wasteland 3 is way, way more difficult and time-consuming to mod because inXile used IL2CPP to pre-compile the DLLs instead of it being done at runtime like in WL2. If inXile released the contents of the 'Managed' folder which is created prior to the IL2CPP step, then WL3 would be as easy to mod as WL2.
TheReflex wrote: June 24th, 2022, 8:57 am I have a crash problem that seems related to the patch.

When attempting to enter Seal Beach via the I Am Legend quest line, the game hangs on the load screen for Seal Beach. However, if I switch the patch .dll back to the original .dll, I am able to re-load the save and progress to Seal Beach without issue.

The issue only comes up with the I Am Legend quest line. If I am going to Seal Beach on the regular story line, patch installed, it's works.
Could you please send the savegame file to executor115@hotmail.com so I can easily replicate the crash? Saves are stored in the "\My Documents\My Games\Wasteland2DC\Save Games\" folder.

Return to “Wasteland 2: Community Content”