Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities!

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.
magnus_ferrus
Initiate

Executor_ wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:33 pm 0.9.4.073 now available here

CHANGELOG
GAMEPLAY
  • Ruined Weapon effect from arm precision strike can now destroy melee weapons
BASE GAME BUG FIXES
  • Tom's quest in Canyon of Titan will be resolved if he dies, rather than remaining unfinished in the journal
  • some interactable objects in Angel Oracle were not showing all applicable skills
  • Paladino no longer yells about his watch once it has been recovered
  • Nurse Flinkman's 'Thief' dialogue option is removed once the quest is complete
  • resolved movement issue with crucifix in Angel Oracle
  • Takayuki displayed text now matches the "That ain't right." spoken audio
UPDATED GAME BUG FIXES
  • Faction changes cause the health bar color to be updated
Hi, after the last patches, I found some bugs. For example, these inscriptions are in English only. In other languages, the same. In version 0.9.4zq everything is correct there.

https://ibb.co/smZkkn7
Executor_
Explorer

Did you also download the Localization.zip and extract it into "\WL2_Data\StreamingAssets\Localization\"? In 0.9.4.072 I made some text changes and noted the need to redownload Localization.zip.
Last edited by Executor_ on September 10th, 2021, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
davoker
Acolyte

apoc_now wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:01 am For some reason my posts aint visible until some moderator approve them, which usually take like 1-2 days, even though there are only 2-3 users active here.
That also happened to me when I first came to this forum, it seems that there is a minimum number of posts that you must publish to stop needing an admin to verify your message, something like that :lol:
Executor_ wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:15 am ...
There is no more xdelta patch? now it is the DLL file directly from the latest version of W2DC to replace the original one and that's it?

Another question, is it possible to export any texture of the game to modify it? many updates ago you put the possibility to export the .mson to be able to modify textures of clothes, weapons and NPCs, but the other textures were still missing, like buildings, floors, trees, etc etc, is it possible to export these textures already? it would be great to improve the game textures with higher quality textures *O*

And another question, sorry xD this change you made:

GAMEPLAY
- Ruined Weapon effect from arm precision strike can now destroy melee weapons

How does it affect exactly? is it only for the enemy or also for the player? if the enemy's weapon is destroyed, it will no longer be in his inventory in case the weapon has a loot chance?

In the game, if you shoot at the enemy's arm, there is a chance that the weapon will be destroyed, this already worked this way in W2DC originally, so what exactly is the addition of this function that you have put? or it didn't work with melee weapons? firearms sometimes if you are lucky, but I have never noticed if it works with melee weapons.

By the way, great job you did, last time I looked I was around patch 0.9.4zz, there are a lot of changes since then, and a lot dedicated to modding, I like it hehe :mrgreen:
Executor_
Explorer

davoker wrote: September 6th, 2021, 8:43 am Another question, is it possible to export any texture of the game to modify it? many updates ago you put the possibility to export the .mson to be able to modify textures of clothes, weapons and NPCs, but the other textures were still missing, like buildings, floors, trees, etc etc, is it possible to export these textures already? it would be great to improve the game textures with higher quality textures *O*
Use https://github.com/RaduMC/AssetStudio to extract the textures from the asset files. Textures loaded by Unity are set to non-readable, ie. if I try to access them in-game, it'll say they have a size of 0 bytes. I believe it's done this way because having a texture set to readable means a copy must always be maintained in system RAM rather than residing only in VRAM.

The main issue with replacing building and environmental textures is that they might not have unique names. For instance, there's lots of textures simply called "diffuse", "shadow", "front", "translucency_gloss", etc. Most textures thankfully don't seem to have that issue though. I'll see about implementing something in the next patch.
davoker wrote: September 6th, 2021, 8:43 am GAMEPLAY
- Ruined Weapon effect from arm precision strike can now destroy melee weapons

How does it affect exactly? is it only for the enemy or also for the player? if the enemy's weapon is destroyed, it will no longer be in his inventory in case the weapon has a loot chance?

In the game, if you shoot at the enemy's arm, there is a chance that the weapon will be destroyed, this already worked this way in W2DC originally, so what exactly is the addition of this function that you have put? or it didn't work with melee weapons? firearms sometimes if you are lucky, but I have never noticed if it works with melee weapons.
The weapons that enemies have equipped and the loot they drop has no correlation. So destroying their weapon won't affect what drops.

In base WL2:DC, only ranged and AoE weapons could be destroyed. I changed it so melee weapons could also be destroyed.
davoker
Acolyte

Executor_ wrote: September 7th, 2021, 12:08 pmThe weapons that enemies have equipped and the loot they drop has no correlation. So destroying their weapon won't affect what drops.

In base WL2:DC, only ranged and AoE weapons could be destroyed. I changed it so melee weapons could also be destroyed.
O ok, it's nice that melee weapons can also be destroyed, I never noticed if that happened, I could see it destroying firearms with a little luck, which was very useful xD it's only fair that melee weapons can also be destroyed, I bet it slipped by InXile hehe.

Executor_ wrote: September 7th, 2021, 12:08 pmUse https://github.com/RaduMC/AssetStudio to extract the textures from the asset files. Textures loaded by Unity are set to non-readable, ie. if I try to access them in-game, it'll say they have a size of 0 bytes. I believe it's done this way because having a texture set to readable means a copy must always be maintained in system RAM rather than residing only in VRAM.

The main issue with replacing building and environmental textures is that they might not have unique names. For instance, there's lots of textures simply called "diffuse", "shadow", "front", "translucency_gloss", etc. Most textures thankfully don't seem to have that issue though. I'll see about implementing something in the next patch.
Omg, textures without names, that's really a problem to be able to do the same thing you did with weapons, clothes and some NPCs.... Well, if most don't have that problem it's good news at least, I appreciate your effort in at least trying to look at it, I hope it doesn't turn out to be complicated and can be done without many problems at least.

One last request, is it possible to make that in the character creation, where we choose the cosmetic clothes we want to wear, all the clothes available in the game are available in the character creation? there are many clothes in the second part of the game that would be interesting to wear from the beginning.

It could be an option in the game that we check to have all the clothes in the character creation, or it could be an option directly implemented, it is only cosmetic clothing after all, would it be possible?

Edit: Ok, for the clothes I saw this thread by chance -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18706

It seems to work fine, debug_import.txt shows no errors, along with the files I have, it says "277 of 277 MSON files are valid", so there seems to be no errors, now in the character creation is available all the clothes of the game.

That includes the clown clothes, but the clown clothes once equipped I don't know if you can unequip them, because they are linked to the "Raised in the Circus" quirk, buuuut, now your mod includes the possibility to change the clown clothes using that quirk, so problem solved in a indirect way xD

I think that mod would be the solution to what I asked you, unless there is a more direct way to get all the clothes, implementing it in the DLL or something, however, this works, so no need to complicate hehe
apoc_now
Initiate

RaduMC's AssetStudio is 6yo and pretty much outdated
Use this one instead https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio
magnus_ferrus
Initiate

Executor_ wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:15 am Did you also download the Localization.zip and extract it into "\WL2_Data\StreamingAssets\"? In 0.9.4.072 I made some text changes and noted the need to redownload Localization.zip.
Yeah.
davoker
Acolyte

magnus_ferrus wrote: September 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm
Executor_ wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:15 am Did you also download the Localization.zip and extract it into "\WL2_Data\StreamingAssets\"? In 0.9.4.072 I made some text changes and noted the need to redownload Localization.zip.
Yeah.
#<@>Knowledge
=Wiedzy

That's what I see, it's Polish? in the file "Main_pl2.txt" you have that I have shown you, the translation is there, sure you have copied the new Localization folder? I see the correct text, well, the word shows up like this in the TXT, it must be something similar, Wiedzy, Wiedza or wiedzę? :lol:
Executor_
Explorer

davoker wrote: September 7th, 2021, 12:43 pm One last request, is it possible to make that in the character creation, where we choose the cosmetic clothes we want to wear, all the clothes available in the game are available in the character creation? there are many clothes in the second part of the game that would be interesting to wear from the beginning.
I should be able to do that.
apoc_now wrote: September 8th, 2021, 4:54 am RaduMC's AssetStudio is 6yo and pretty much outdated
Thanks for catching that. That's actually the one I use, I just linked the wrong Github page.
Yeah.
Are you sure your "\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\StreamingAssets\Localization" folder looks like this?

Because this is what the Polish screen looks like in-game for me
davoker
Acolyte

I see the same thing in Polish too, 100% sure that the location folder has not been updated by the OP.

I have to learn how to edit the meshes, because I am able to edit the textures of the faces (for ModsImportTextureWearable), but as the meshes are the same, the faces still look very much like the originals, the only difference is that the skin has better quality, but it's little difference when the shape of the face is the same hehe

I think Blender can do me the service, let's see how well I can edit the meshes.

I also want to edit the textures of landscapes, environment, floors, walls, flora in general... when I can export the .MSON for those textures like you did with the wearables (clothes, weapons, some characters), I can only export the textures with AssetStudio and edit them, which is not easy either xD but I find it very entertaining :D
magnus_ferrus
Initiate

Executor_ wrote: September 9th, 2021, 8:26 am
davoker wrote: September 7th, 2021, 12:43 pm One last request, is it possible to make that in the character creation, where we choose the cosmetic clothes we want to wear, all the clothes available in the game are available in the character creation? there are many clothes in the second part of the game that would be interesting to wear from the beginning.
I should be able to do that.
apoc_now wrote: September 8th, 2021, 4:54 am RaduMC's AssetStudio is 6yo and pretty much outdated
Thanks for catching that. That's actually the one I use, I just linked the wrong Github page.
Yeah.
Are you sure your "\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data\StreamingAssets\Localization" folder looks like this?

Because this is what the Polish screen looks like in-game for me
Hmmmm. Thx. Perhaps, I will reinstall my game in steam.
Executor_
Explorer

0.9.4.074 now available here

CHANGELOG
GENERAL
  • expanded clothing options available in character creation
  • swapped weapon model and inventory icon for AK-47 and AK-97
BASE GAME BUG FIXES
  • at Fletcher's Hideout, text for the event was still showing up when the actual characters were no longer present
MODDING
  • can now replace building/environmental/object textures
    • place replacements (PNG/JPG format) in the root 'Texture' folder, eg. "/Mods/Import/Texture/oiltank_02a.png"
    • file name must be the same as the original game's texture name; file extension (eg. ".png") will be ignored
    • if multiple game textures have the same name, all will be replaced, so care should be taken with changing these
    • the first map that is loaded in a gaming session will have the names of the textures it uses dumped in a textures.txt file in the appropriate folder for that scene, eg. "/Mods/Export/Arizona/AZ00_Ranger_Citadel/textures.txt"
      • because of how Unity works, this can only be done accurately for the first map, so you will need to restart WL2 if you want to get the texture names of a different scene
      • the texture dimensions will be written in brackets after the name and should not be included in the names of PNG/JPG files
    • to view and extract the existing game textures, download and run https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio
      • use File->Load Folder and go to "\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data" and click 'Select Folder'
      • select Filter Type->Texture2D in the menu, and on the 'Asset List' tab, sort by 'Name'
      • individual textures can be extracted by right-clicking on the name in the list
      • pound sign followed by a number is how AssetStudio signifies a duplicate named file; these are not part of the actual texture name, eg. "front #60241" is actually named "front"
davoker
Acolyte

Executor_ wrote: September 11th, 2021, 2:31 am 0.9.4.074 now available here

CHANGELOG
GENERAL
  • expanded clothing options available in character creation
  • swapped weapon model and inventory icon for AK-47 and AK-97
BASE GAME BUG FIXES
  • at Fletcher's Hideout, text for the event was still showing up when the actual characters were no longer present
MODDING
  • can now replace building/environmental/object textures
    • place replacements (PNG/JPG format) in the root 'Texture' folder, eg. "/Mods/Import/Texture/oiltank_02a.png"
    • file name must be the same as the original game's texture name; file extension (eg. ".png") will be ignored
    • if multiple game textures have the same name, all will be replaced, so care should be taken with changing these
    • the first map that is loaded in a gaming session will have the names of the textures it uses dumped in a textures.txt file in the appropriate folder for that scene, eg. "/Mods/Export/Arizona/AZ00_Ranger_Citadel/textures.txt"
      • because of how Unity works, this can only be done accurately for the first map, so you will need to restart WL2 if you want to get the texture names of a different scene
      • the texture dimensions will be written in brackets after the name and should not be included in the names of PNG/JPG files
    • to view and extract the existing game textures, download and run https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio
      • use File->Load Folder and go to "\Wasteland 2 Director's Cut\Build\WL2_Data" and click 'Select Folder'
      • select Filter Type->Texture2D in the menu, and on the 'Asset List' tab, sort by 'Name'
      • individual textures can be extracted by right-clicking on the name in the list
      • pound sign followed by a number is how AssetStudio signifies a duplicate named file; these are not part of the actual texture name, eg. "front #60241" is actually named "front"
Just brutal, finally I can change textures of things I wanted to change, trees, buildings, ground types... I'm thrilled with this patch, thank you very much for making it possible, and also for adding all the clothes in the character creation, now we can go to fashion from the beginning hahaha

The AK47/AK97 icon change I just saw why you did it, the actual equivalents didn't match, I never noticed that before.

The Fletcher's Hideout mission phrase not disappearing was a bug that also happened to me, sometimes I solved it by loading game.

It's great to see how you have advanced with this patch, it's practically an "Unofficial Patch" like the one for Skyrim and FO4 games, but for Wasteland 2, in fact I think you should call it that way, your patch has no name! hehe

Edit: I'm doing a little mod to make the "unique" weapons distinguish well from their normal counterparts, that is, there are unique weapons that use the same icon as the normal version of the weapon, for example, the "Sweetness" weapon uses the same icon as the M4 Carbine weapon, in my little mod I'm adding a new texture for the unique weapon, it's basically a copy of the original texture but with some visual changes.

In some cases I change parts of the weapon, but in all the unique weapons have an orange "glow" (like W3 xD), adding the new texture was easy, for example

{
x : 771
y : 1404

name : T_Icon_W_FNFAL // label for this subimage

width : 256
height : 128

borderLeft : 0
borderRight : 0
borderTop : 0
borderBottom : 0

paddingLeft : 0
paddingRight : 0
paddingTop : 0
paddingBottom : 0
} Up to here the original texture for FNFAL
{
x : 771
y : 1404

name : T_Icon_W_FNFALMOD // label for this subimage

width : 256
height : 128

borderLeft : 0
borderRight : 0
borderTop : 0
borderBottom : 0

paddingLeft : 0
paddingRight : 0
paddingTop : 0
paddingBottom : 0
}

This texture corresponds to the M41A weapon, this unique weapon uses the same icon with FNFAL, as you can see, what I did was to add a copy of FNFAL but in the texture name I add "MOD" at the end, then I simply put a new texture for that weapon in "WL2_Weapons.png", the corresponding file (.mson) in the import folder, and I give the new coordinates of the new texture to the file (in the example above I have not changed the coordinates for the new texture yet).

With this I get that all the unique weapons that share texture with normal weapons, have their own texture, and for the unique weapons that have unique texture, in fact for all the unique ones, I also added that orange glow, it is a blurred orange border, it looks very nice.

As soon as I finish with all the unique weapons, I'm going to try to change textures of floors and buildings, any detail, see how it looks after hehe
davoker
Acolyte

One question, any easy way to move the .png files (the textures) that are listed in the TXT that exports with the filenames of each zone? for example, it could be done with batch, make it move the textures (that I have already extracted with AssetStudio) that are in the .txt of ranger citadel to another folder, this way I would have all the textures of that map in a different folder.

With batch it can be done, but I haven't done anything with batch files for years xD
Executor_
Explorer

Sorry, not really familiar with batch files either. Though if something springs to mind, I'll let you know.
davoker
Acolyte

Executor_ wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:43 am Sorry, not really familiar with batch files either. Though if something springs to mind, I'll let you know.
No problem, solve:

@echo off
set src_folder=.\Texture2D (all textures exported with AsseStudio)
set dst_folder=.\AZ00_Ranger_Citadel (folder destination)
for /f "tokens=*" %%i in (.\textures.txt) DO xcopy /i/y "%src_folder%\%%i.png" "%dst_folder%"
:exit

"textures.txt" is the exported text file with all the texture names of that map, the only task is to "delete" the resolutions of the names in the TXT, since the original textures don't have the resolution in the name, that's done quickly with "replace" with Notepad++ for example, you replace the resolution with "nothing" xD

I leave the commands here, it could be useful for others, with that you move files listed in a txt from one folder (source) to another (destination) quickly.

:D

Return to “Wasteland 2: Community Content”