Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities!

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Executor_
Scholar

Re: Wasteland 2: now with improved modding capabilities!

Post by Executor_ » July 27th, 2018, 1:26 pm

0.9.4u now available here.

UPDATED GAME BUG FIXES
  • message displayed after clicking on a skill statue could incorrectly state the number of points awarded
  • fixed UI error when adding a new perk while using the SkillBook Traits mod
  • in some cases, StatusEffect visual effects weren't being removed when the StatusEffect ended

0.9.5 progress report:
  • NPCs now have Attributes, Skills, working perks and quirks
  • NPCs have actual inventories and proper items and ammo, and can have weapon mods
  • NPCs can Precision Strike
  • NPCs generate their Attributes/Skills/Traits based on a StatsProfile
    • StatsProfile has dozens of variables to control what a NPC chooses
    • NPC looks at all weapons either equipped or in inventory and calculates a weapon score for each
      • max 3 weapons with highest scores are then used for selecting Skills and Traits (weighted based on relative weapon scores)
  • game difficulties now fully moddable
  • whole assortment of bug fixes, performance improvements, and other adjustments
A few screenshots:

Shadow Jack
Novice

Post by Shadow Jack » July 30th, 2018, 10:26 am

Thanks a lot for your effort! How do you think when 0.9.5 will be available for beta-testing?

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » July 31st, 2018, 1:04 am

Not sure. Hopefully in a couple months. Major tasks still on my todo list are item durabilities and an ammo 'quality' system. I also need to make sure Leadership is working fine for NPCs, and do a rebalance pass on Attributes as Awareness is too critical right now.

Nikita-S-D
Initiate

Post by Nikita-S-D » August 2nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

Executor_ wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 1:04 am
Not sure. Hopefully in a couple months. Major tasks still on my todo list are item durabilities and an ammo 'quality' system. I also need to make sure Leadership is working fine for NPCs, and do a rebalance pass on Attributes as Awareness is too critical right now.
Hey there! Nice to see you back. i wonder if you are planing to make a clip system, like one we was talking about before?
Nikita-S-D wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 7:19 am
Going further with hard coding (I think it will be super-duper hard to make) you can make some weapons use not raw ammo but "clip" or "cartridge belt" for heavy weapons. So first you need to find "clips", then manually put ammo in it. For example, reload clip costs 2 AP, but put 1 ammo in clip costs 1 AP. So if you only have 1 clip with 10 bullets, and you empty it, you'll spend 1-10 AP, to load 1-10 ammo and +2 to load it in to your weapon in combat. But if you have 2-3 clips, you can switch them with 2 AP.

I think this will require adding new ItemTemplateType - "Clip". DerivedStatEnum - ActionPointCost_LoadClip and tons of coding and bugfixing, and ui tweaks.

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » August 3rd, 2018, 5:36 am

Definitely not for 0.9.5. I've already got a lot on my plate and don't want to delay 0.9.5 any further. Implementing a clip system will entail extensive UI changes, and that always drags on longer than I'd like.

Shadow Jack
Novice

Post by Shadow Jack » November 23rd, 2018, 2:12 am

Hi Executor, as you might know I've published limited version of my mod(without Prison main quest changes)on Nexus, and Steam users have issues with file name too long error. Creating symbolic link does not always solves the problem. You still have to manually delete some folders.(e.g. C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Build/WL2_Data/Mods/Import/LosAngeles\CA01_WattsTowers\Interactable\Drama\PropObject\InteractableObject\InteractableInventoryObject\InventoryObject_Sturdy\PassphraseInventoryObject_Sturdy'). Is there some solution other than creating symbolic link or manually deleting long folders?

Shadow Jack
Novice

Post by Shadow Jack » November 25th, 2018, 3:18 am

Never mind , I think I'll just recommend everyone to use custom folder - that should do the trick.

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » November 27th, 2018, 2:16 am

Whenever 0.9.5 is finally finished, I'll have the mods folder location default to "C:/Wasteland 2" or the like because "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Wasteland 2 Director's Cut/Build/WL2_Data/" wastes a third of the character limit.

Shadow Jack
Novice

Post by Shadow Jack » November 27th, 2018, 7:41 am

Ok thanks, looking forward to try it)
I have several questions if you don't mind. Can you check your mail please?)

I am trying to alter tactical scope in such way that it would provide AP cost benefits depending of the distance to the target. I've tried to write something like this with no effect:
{
when : [ Situation.Target_BeyondOptimalRange ]
statName : actionPointCost_Attack
tooltipId : ""

subset : [ Situation.Target_BeyondOptimalRange ]
operation : Operation.Add
value : 4
}
Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible at all?

Thanks, SJ

Executor_
Scholar

Post by Executor_ » November 28th, 2018, 12:27 am

Sorry, not possible.

There's a bunch of DerivedStats that intentionally do not get any target Situations when being calculated. The value of actionPointCost_Attack can't vary based on target because on your characters' turns, the map tiles are colored green or yellow based on how far they can move and still attack. This requires that every target costs the same amount of AP to attack. Weapon ranges (pointBlankRange, optimalRange, attackRange) similarly ignore target Situations because it would cause UI issues.