Wasteland Remake???

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Eikant
Initiate

Wasteland Remake???

Post by Eikant » September 26th, 2014, 8:28 am

After the really great Wasteland 2, are there possibilities for a Wasteland 1 Remake?
I never played it, I started on Amiga with Burntime in post apo settings and later then Fallout and so on, and the old Wasteland...I just don't get into it, sadly...so, maybe one time? I think that would be great.

Comp_Lex
Acolyte

Re: Wasteland Remake???

Post by Comp_Lex » September 26th, 2014, 6:18 pm

It's fine with me as long as they keep the colors :P

Scotticus
Initiate

Post by Scotticus » November 24th, 2014, 6:38 pm

I always thought it would be cool to remake Wasteland with the Wasteland 2 engine.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 24th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Scotticus wrote:I always thought it would be cool to remake Wasteland with the Wasteland 2 engine.
It would be awesome, and I hope InXile do it, but even if they don't you can be guaranteed once mod tools come out that some modders will try.

The main issue I guess would be lack of content, I don't say this to slander Wasteland 1 but if you took out the random encounters within maps (not the world map) then the game would be pretty short. You would need to add new side-quests to places like Vegas, Quartz and so on for the player to get XP, so they don't have to grind RE's on the world map to level-up. The WL2 engine isn't a tile-based "blobber" like WL1, so you can't have random encounters on a "step" basis, the closest you could get is probably respawning enemies to kinda simulate WL1-style slogging through maps.

That said, anything is possible.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 25th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I'd say the skills would be the biggest issue.

Honestly, you'd need some damn good tools to do it, since it would need to be a full conversion down to the basic mechanics. At that point, you're basically just using WL2 for art assets.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 25th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Crosmando wrote:The main issue I guess would be lack of content, I don't say this to slander Wasteland 1 but if you took out the random encounters within maps (not the world map) then the game would be pretty short. You would need to add new side-quests to places like Vegas, Quartz and so on for the player to get XP, so they don't have to grind RE's on the world map to level-up.
Note to modders out there: speaking for myself, I would love to see a straight remake with no new content added. I would happily play a 10-hour version of Wasteland in the new engine. Equally importantly, a smaller scope would allow such a project to be much more doable and finished in a reasonable amount of time. Don't blow up the scope just to blow up the scope.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 28th, 2014, 11:40 pm

If they do, it probably will use CLASSIC and not WL-MSPE, so my enthusiasm for such a thing isn't high.