On what computer did you originally play Wasteland?

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Ronin73
Master

Re: On what computer did you originally play Wasteland?

Post by Ronin73 » March 22nd, 2013, 5:15 pm

KithKanan wrote:
Opie232 wrote:Comodore 64 load"*",8,1 If my kids had to wait to play a game like I did they would be constantly outside
I know, right?

Complaining about load times?
Are you using a C-64?
Yes: I feel your pain.
No: You think you know load times? You don't know shit.
I still remember waiting up to 20 minutes for a single mission to load on the tape version of Project Stealth Fighter :lol:

How times have changed.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 22nd, 2013, 9:30 pm

Ronin73 wrote:I still remember waiting up to 20 minutes for a single mission to load on the tape version of Project Stealth Fighter
Tape drives were a nightmare. The two ton disk drive was like lightning. And then with the Epyx FastLoad cartridge? Wooo, you barely had time to make a sandwich!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Shax
Initiate

Post by Shax » April 26th, 2013, 11:56 pm

C64. I still have the original Box, manuals, and disks.
Later I played it on a PC via the 10 Years of Interplay CD.
Now I play it an Apple II, C64, ans DOS via emulation.

inm8num2
Novice

Post by inm8num2 » April 27th, 2013, 11:55 am

I never played the original Wasteland.

*ducks for cover*

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » April 27th, 2013, 8:56 pm

inm8num2 wrote:I never played the original Wasteland.

*ducks for cover*
You're in luck. WL2 comes with WL included.

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » April 27th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Well, I can't remember - but as I played Wasteland soon after release my first few times would have been Commodore 64 I'd guess - had no PC until 1994. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

inm8num2
Novice

Post by inm8num2 » April 27th, 2013, 10:20 pm

paultakeda wrote:
inm8num2 wrote:I never played the original Wasteland.

*ducks for cover*
You're in luck. WL2 comes with WL included.
Heh yea I remember them telling us that. Can't wait! I'm curious, does that mean the original WL will be offered through the Ranger Center site for backers, or might it be also offered commercially in places like GOG?

It may have already been posted, but last year when I was more curious about the game I found an absolutely wonderful playthrough. The guy uses some great background music and does a fantastic job of narrating and setting the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gPe036iK0

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » April 27th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Yeah, that is a really good play through. I thought that narration was pretty damned good.

Even though I've read the paragraph book many times over the years, it was kind of cool to see where some of the paragraphs fitted in places I usually just skipped. I had forgotten about giving the hobo all those Snake Squeezins at the Rail Nomad camp, where he gives all those cryptic clues.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 28th, 2013, 12:00 am

inm8num2 wrote:I'm curious, does that mean the original WL will be offered through the Ranger Center site for backers, or might it be also offered commercially in places like GOG?
No clue right now. I doubt it will get an independant release on GOG, since EA seems to have little interest in doing anything with it (and I'd expect them to release it via Origin if they did). Judging by the BT rerelease, I'm guessing it'll be a menu option in WL2, so a built-in emulator (still hoping for the C64 version).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

magnum_savage
Initiate

Post by magnum_savage » May 10th, 2013, 2:23 pm

My computer was an Apple IIe, and we had a pair of those old drives with the door that would flip from horizontal (open) to vertical (closed). I mention the drives because I well remember using that feature when going into Vegas. I'd clear out a bunch of the tougher robots and leave the city. It's at this point that the game would attempt to write all of my kills onto the floppy, but I'd quickly open the drive so it wouldn't record, enter the 'outdoors' floppy, then go back into the city and be able to kill all those same guys again.

I got a lot of skill levels and promotions doing that.

BlackRazor
Initiate

Post by BlackRazor » June 1st, 2013, 11:46 pm

I played Wasteland on a Commodore C-64. Later played it on a 286, which I still, just to play Wasteland on.

Friz K
Initiate

Post by Friz K » June 20th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Commodore 64 here...also equipped with a hole punch to double side my 5 1/4"!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 21st, 2013, 5:30 am

It amazes me how "modern" old WL is, a lot of criticism gets made of old cRPG interfaces, but WL's is very good for it's time, and makes the game (especially combat) not frustrating at all. About the only thing that would make it better is a skill bar so you don't have unnecessary clicking to pick a lock or something, and tooltips.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

scorp1tron
Initiate

Post by scorp1tron » June 30th, 2013, 2:00 pm

I played on a Tandy 1000 my grandfather bought me when i was like 11

Friend and I bought it since it had both 3.5 and 5.25" disks. I was only one of my friends with a 3.5" drive (external, i added it and upgraded the ram from 128k to 512k) so i made out like a bandit often when someone bought a game and it had both sizes :)

we just photocopied the paragraph book but ultimately it seemed to recycle set of questions and we played so much we ended up memorizing them all anyway.

played and beat it dozens of times trying to see what the highest rank was on a character.

my gamer handle has always been "scorpitron"...so pumped to get to play this new version!

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » July 1st, 2013, 6:33 pm

scorp1tron wrote:I played on a Tandy 1000 my grandfather bought me when i was like 11
I think you're the first person I've seen that played Wasteland on a Tandy.

I remember seeing Tandy labeled on the old game boxes, but I'll be damned if I knew anyone that had one.

Queue the "I know lots of people that had one" comments :P

Brian Fargo

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » July 2nd, 2013, 5:22 am

I did in fact know several people who owned one. It had 3 voice sound built in at a time when most PCs had no real sound to speak of. There was even a time when some games were designed to specifically cater to this (the music for the original Thexder was much better on a Tandy, for example).

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Ranger Tom
Initiate

Post by Ranger Tom » July 26th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I played it on an Apple IIe. Tricked out dual drives, color monitor, 128k;)
The thing is I had the game. Some how messed up a disk and was so into the game. I went out and bought it again so I could finish. I know have two wasteland copies.

Back in the day I would have had to work all week partime at a restaurant job I had to pay for that. Can't wait for the WL2! I have been preparing my wife and kids for their time away from me when it arrives;)

Ranger Tom
Initiate

Post by Ranger Tom » July 26th, 2013, 12:16 pm

LOL. I did the same thing. THere must be a name for what we were doing. Nobody could snake a disk out of the drive faster than me:)
magnum_savage wrote:My computer was an Apple IIe, and we had a pair of those old drives with the door that would flip from horizontal (open) to vertical (closed). I mention the drives because I well remember using that feature when going into Vegas. I'd clear out a bunch of the tougher robots and leave the city. It's at this point that the game would attempt to write all of my kills onto the floppy, but I'd quickly open the drive so it wouldn't record, enter the 'outdoors' floppy, then go back into the city and be able to kill all those same guys again.

I got a lot of skill levels and promotions doing that.

MJFERN
Acolyte

Post by MJFERN » August 1st, 2013, 8:52 am

C64....then multiple x86's
My first Supreme Jerk was on the PC version.
I remember people in my college dorm laughing at me for playing Wasteland when they were all playing Warcraft 2 and others. And I remember them then being drawn in!!

codyorr
Initiate

Post by codyorr » August 10th, 2013, 1:52 pm

I played it in 2011 on a modern HP computer. I'd never heard of it, despite PC gaming since the early 90s, until 2010. Lucky thing a gaming blogger started working where I work.