On what computer did you originally play Wasteland?

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Re: On what computer did you originally play Wasteland?

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » April 13th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Me, I was really late 'discovering' Wasteland... and even then it was by 'accident' !

Ordered a new computer in Jan. 1995 (thought was Jan. 1994), complete with a 'games package' of over 400 games.
The 'package' included "Interplay's 10 Year Anthology", on a CD... 'documentation' was only what could be included in a 'mini-manual' that 'fit in the plastic CD case'... so, my first 'experience' time was just getting use to the game and its controls. The 'paragraphs' were included as a text file on the CD.

So, I first played the game on a '486' computer with DOS & Windows 3.1.
Upgraded to a 'new' computer in 2001 (with Windows Me), necessary to get cable-modem access to the internet (when that service became available to me).

Have really enjoyed Wasteland from the (my) start... have 'played the game through to finish' about 20+ times over the years (keeping different 'recruits', or sometimes different 'Clones' of the 'Rangers').
Think my greatest 'discoveries' came from 'replays' trying different things (including using 'bad'/'wrong' passwords !)

How 'late' / 'slow' am I ??? ... STILL running a Windows XP system !!! roflmao :geek:

CymTyr
Initiate

Post by CymTyr » April 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm

On an 8086 with 640k of RAM, a hard drive, and a monochrome monitor. I believe it had 2 5.25 drives in it.
"I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter. I had to fall to lose it all, and in the end, it doesn't even matter...."

RIP Chester!

imprimus
Initiate

Post by imprimus » April 17th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Laser 128! I believe it was in 1991, which would have put me at about seven/eight years old. After going back and playing it again as a teenager, I realized that I hadn't actually understood the game the first time :)

Zarich
Initiate

Post by Zarich » April 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

Apple II+. Eventually I added a second external floppy. It was awesome. Later I upgraded to an apple2 GS. Even more awesome as it had an internal floppy.
AHHHH.

Uldreg
Initiate

Post by Uldreg » April 19th, 2012, 11:50 am

Apple 2c! FTW!

TZydelski
Initiate

Post by TZydelski » April 20th, 2012, 11:03 am

Packard Bell 386 25 Mhz SX

When we got an upgrade for the computer (it had a CD drive with it), we got the Interplay 10th Anniversary disc with it. Wasteland was probably the favorite among the games. :)

I remember that we did get the game in its original box later in a second hand store (I don't remember which one, but I'm sure it wasn't a Goodwill).

PsychicMonk
Novice

Post by PsychicMonk » April 22nd, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally on the Commodore 64, then years later on the PC with Interplay's 10 Year Anthology.
I still have my original cardboard folder plus several cardboard/bigbox versions I saw on ebay and couldn't resist as backup.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » April 27th, 2012, 5:46 am

Drool wrote:Commodore64. Still remember taking a hole puncher to my blank floppies to double-side them because I had to copy all four discs before I could even play the game.
Same for me. I also remember hole-punching my disks.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

st0rmie
Initiate

Post by st0rmie » April 30th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Commodore 64, yo. Wasteland, Bard's Tale 3, Mars Saga - the big three games of my teenage years.

Daza
Initiate

Post by Daza » April 30th, 2012, 9:28 pm

C64

Fieryphoenix
Initiate

Post by Fieryphoenix » April 30th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Tandy 1000 TL. Boy I tell you, having DOS in ROM for instant on is a luxury I sorely miss. Well, the system OS at any rate nowadays.

Mathsorcerer
Novice

Post by Mathsorcerer » May 1st, 2012, 9:41 am

Commodore 64, the best computer a teenager in 1984 could hope to receive. I was really cross-training in those days, as well, because I had taught my programming on my dad's TRS80 Model III and the school used Apple IIe (which also came in handy because I had an Apple emulator for the Commodore that I used to write programs that would graph my trig homework for me).

The Standing Stones, Karateka, Way of the Exploding Fist, Meobius, Windwalker, Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars, the Gold Box games from SSI, and of course Wasteland.

In my senior year of high school I was "upgraded" to a Commodore 128.
No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

TheLastOutlaw
Initiate

Post by TheLastOutlaw » May 1st, 2012, 7:14 pm

First time I played Wasteland was on a friends Apple IIe. Didn't get very far but I liked it. I didn't touch it again until years later and that was on a PC via a C64 emulator (Frodo I think). A few years after that I dug up an Apple emulator and played it again which felt more nostalgic.
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?

Fargham
Initiate

Post by Fargham » May 3rd, 2012, 10:59 am

C=64 on a computer that was forbidden for me to play any games on by my older brother (I was 8 at the time). I had to hide 2 disks (punching holes on my own to make them front/back), as well as attempt to keep the external power box thing cool enough so that he wouldn't know I had been playing the game.

Yes, I pirated a whole computer to play the game :)

Coran
Initiate

Post by Coran » May 9th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Apple IIe. Played in on the original green monitor for years before my brother and I "upgraded" and bought an adapter at Radio Shack so we could hook it up to a color TV.

onkl
Initiate

Post by onkl » May 18th, 2012, 6:22 am

Commodore 128D - copying the game discs took forever!

Noelemahc
Initiate

Post by Noelemahc » May 20th, 2012, 7:26 am

Pentium with a 90 Mhz and a whomping 8 megs of RAM. I got the game off Computer Gaming World's 25th Anniversary issue cover CD (whcih was an interesting twist of fate as it was the only CGW issue I ever bought!). It had an article on then in-development Fallout, it's very first trailer (from when it was still a GURPS game) and Wasteland as a demonstration of where Fallout originates from. So, yeah, I haven't been playing it for long, only for the last 16 years =)
War doesn't determine who is right. War determines who is left.

Albeno
Initiate

Post by Albeno » May 21st, 2012, 8:03 am

I came to the original game quite late, running it through adosbox on my droidx2.

Digit01
Initiate

Post by Digit01 » June 18th, 2012, 4:20 am

I originally played it on my C128D and I still have them. I love my C128D and my Amiga 500. I can never get rid of them

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 28th, 2012, 11:34 pm

386sx.

I think. I don't remember playing it on my c64. But I may have, and may just not remember. Its been a looong time since I had my 64, and I played a LOT of games on it. A LOT. So its enitirely possible I played it when I was younger but didn't spend a lot of time on it until I got it for the 386SX years later.

For me the ultimate game on the C64 was Enigma Force. (Sure Shadowfire was good, but I played Enigma Force first).
It's not too late. Make it Eight!