Unimpressed

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Unimpressed

Post by Drool » December 10th, 2013, 6:45 am

Well, if you were giving the item to someone you were directly next to, you used the arrow (hobos, Laurie), if you were giving or showing the item to someone who wasn't (Bishop, Charmine), you used the spacebar.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » December 10th, 2013, 7:19 am

Except for the Headcrusher, who you were explicitly supposed to give the Visa card to (though you had to sit down across the table from him to trigger it, so you weren't right next to him), and the Mushroom Priest, where it would be logical that you would give him the ruby ring instead of just show it to him ("Hey, I just scavenged this neat ring off your dead friend, alright if I just keep it?"). In each case you need to Use the item on your own space (and in each case you lose the item anyway).

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 11th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Right. In both of those cases there is an obstacle between you and the other person. With the bishop there's his podium and with the Crusher there's a table. The only time you use an arrow is when you're directly next to the target.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 11th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Yet to me the obvious course of action is to lay the object on the surface between you, whether it's the ring on the desk, the visa card on the table, or the Bloodstaff on the floor.
We're not saying the game's broken or anything, we just think the controls could be more intuitive.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 11th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Well, yes, but I was addressing the complaint that it was a crap-shoot what the game wanted. There is a pattern and a reason as to if you use the arrows or the spacebar. I make no claims to the wisdom of said pattern, just to its existence.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 12th, 2013, 1:21 am

Fair enough.
While we're griping, though, the trial-and-error element was a bit frustrating when I wasn't particularly trying to pick a fight with Charmaine. Oi!

PathlessBullet
Initiate

Post by PathlessBullet » December 19th, 2013, 1:34 pm

The UI was/is the biggest entry barrier for me into the older Fallout's.

Ice Cream Jonsey
Initiate

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » January 6th, 2014, 10:35 am

There are a few... quirks with the interface in general that would have been maddening without the walkthroughs that were posted to dial-up BBSs.

The Visa card event is the first thing that comes to mind. Having to "sit in the chair" is really goofy, especially with the graphics making no distinction that you're sitting.

Being able to lock some of the assault rifles into single, burst or full clip would be nice, saving the player from having to specify each time.

And while it seems like it's a lot of keys to heal somebody (U, (player number) S, (number for Medic), (target character)... it's the same way to accomplish anything else in the game. The Ultimas would have made "H" the Heal key. That's fine for Heal, but all 26 letters were used for something in Ultima 3, and that's bizarre going in the other direction. I guess, ultimately, I like Wasteland's philosophy better. Especially since there's apparently in-game support for macros, which I only read about a couple days ago, haha.

(Keeping in mind that while I write this, Wasteland was an incredible accomplishment for 1988! I'm not bagging on the game at all. And adding the paragraphs to the game itself with the GOG re-work makes it so that people will be playing it for another 40 years.)
Check out the development of a new CRPG: cyberganked.com

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » May 11th, 2014, 2:37 am

One thing WL1 has that was extremely powerful for its time, and made it a breeze to play was it's macros. I recorded macros for all movement during combat, an automatic combat script that could handle almost all melee combat situations, a lock picking script, a long rest (i.e. healing) script and so on.

Mice were optional at the time. A microsoft mouse was 100's of dollars, and most DOS programs didn't support a mouse. Even if a mouse was supported, it was often brand specific.

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » May 11th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I used the macros primarily for resting, healing, and repetitive things like using a shovel in the sewers, or the keycards in the sleeper base.

I've never even tried using the mouse when playing the game, so I couldn't comment on the usefulness of that. It was many years after I'd gotten Bard's Tale 1, 2, and 3 before I realized that if you played those with a mouse connected, it was a major shortcut when casting spells, because it let you choose a spell from a list instead of having to type in the 4 letter code from the manual (after I'd gone to the trouble of memorizing, SCSI, APAR, MIBL, MAMA, and NUKE, among others).

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth » December 27th, 2015, 8:50 am

ad1066 wrote:What always bugged me was the inconsistent methods of using items. Sometimes to give something to someone you had to Use the item in the direction of the NPC. Other times you had to Use the item on the square you were standing on.
Which pretty much sums up my experience. Came in touch with Wasteland in mid 90s, the interface was quite intuitive thanks to everything being listed under specific keys and all it took from me was just knowing English to figure things out. But the different way to use/equip items was quite annoying at times.

I think the game might be a problem for players now, since they are used to contextual menu and everything being mouse-operated, with no habit of using keyboard for anything else than direct movement control. The same reason why games with "tank controls" are now considered so hard to play and beat. Not because they are particullary hard to play or with bad controls, but because they are different than current standard.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 27th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Mouse operated is probably the biggest issue for new players and especially younger players. The mouse controls for the game are an absolute trainwreck, but it's the first thing a new player's going to try, especially when they start seeing arrows pop up on the screen.

That being said, since the interface is so simple and direct, I wager most people could manage it if they'd just give it a chance.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 27th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Nobody999 wrote:Oh well, its a 25 year old game, I didn't really expect all that much. I was kind of hoping it would be more engrossing than Angband, but alas, no.
Wasteland manages then, what most RPGs still cannot... [emotionally affecting aside] the game even has destructible terrain; can't pick a lock... wreck a hole in the wall.
________
There is a lot more to Fallout's relation to Wasteland than many realize.
Image Image

For those not planning to play Wasteland through, or those that already have... I highly recommend watching Tord's Wasteland Let's Play [it is the best out there, and he is a top notch roleplayer.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5q ... 6E726A508F

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » December 29th, 2015, 6:00 pm

It was the first RPG I recall with a skill-based system instead of a class-based system. Mind-blowing at the time.