Wasteland 1 available for purchase

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Wasteland 1 available for purchase

Post by Brother None » November 13th, 2013, 10:53 am

Wasteland 1 is now available for purchase on GOG.com for $5.99 and on Steam for $5.99/£4.49/€5.49.
For the first time in over 20 years, we are heralding the return of a much loved piece of gaming history with the classic RPG, Wasteland!

Mutants. Again. Even more than there were last time: they seem to materialize out of the very grains of the radioactive desert sand. Venomous yellow eyes. The black gunmetal glint of Uzis as they close in for the kill. There’s nowhere to run, and nothing to rely on but your MAC 17 machine gun. What a way to save the human race.

The year is 2087, eighty-nine years after an all out nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union turned vast swaths of the Earth into a hellish wasteland where survival is a daily struggle against thirst, hunger, radiation sickness, ravaging raiders, and mutants - always mutants. You are a Desert Ranger, one of a band of stalwart lawmen born from the remnants of a U.S. Army detachment who survived the nuclear holocaust by holing up in a maximum security prison. You may wear ragtag uniforms and carry make-shift weapons, but the Desert Rangers are the only law left in what was once the American southwest.

Now something more secretive and sinister than the usual roving bands of mutants and raiders is menacing humanity, and it’s your job to investigate. Recruit the help you need, follow any leads you find, but beware. The wasteland is lawless desert and a lonely place, and the choices you make will shape the world around you. Better choose wisely. Your life depends on it.
If you backed the game don’t forget you’ll have a free key waiting for you at the Ranger Center.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

SniperHF
Adventurer

Re: Wasteland 1 available for purchase

Post by SniperHF » November 13th, 2013, 11:19 am

Went to Steam forums, saw the usual nonsense :lol:
Price complaints on a game that's $5.99...... :?

Good luck over there BN :lol:

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » November 27th, 2013, 11:19 am

Currently 50% off ($2.99) on Steam, Nov 27 - Dec 3 2013

KaosLord83
Initiate

Post by KaosLord83 » December 2nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

i still have my original copy of wasteland but no computer to run it on, lol i dont feel i should have to buy it again in order to play it but thats just me being broke, i am really looking forward to buying wasteland 2 as soon as i get some money

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 2nd, 2013, 10:55 pm

You could think of it as the price you're paying for continued software support, including new version numbers; the price, if you will, for caring professionals to bring it onto new hardware which could never run the original copy you presently hold.
Not trying to lecture, just trying to suggest another perspective. I kinda envy you your original copy, to be honest, though I'm not at all unhappy with v2.0.1!

KaosLord83
Initiate

Post by KaosLord83 » December 3rd, 2013, 1:50 am

ya i even have the booklet that came with the game, imo the wasteland story puts the wasteland knockoff called fallout to shame, how its so indepth and keeps you wanting more i was 5 or 6 years old playing this game and i loved it im so looking forward to wasteland 2

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » February 3rd, 2014, 1:51 pm

Currently 60% off on GoG $2.39 til Tuesday, February 4, at 10:59AM GMT.

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » May 6th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Just dropped in to say thank you guys, for implementing the soundtrack from Edwin Montogmery to W1 - that soundtrack is beautiful on its own, but actually use it in the game - shows how much you appreciate community :)

So thank you.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » May 11th, 2014, 2:09 am

I'm another one of those people with the original disks, but I have maintained an operable version through ALL of my computers since the XT I used to play it on. I moved an operable copy to 3.5" disks, then later to CDROM. The new version is nice, and it is good to be able to play it in a larger window than the old one opens under DOSBOX. All the same, it is still fun to play the old one directly from time to time. My team of Supreme Jerks thank you.

MihaLbl4
Initiate

Post by MihaLbl4 » October 27th, 2016, 6:15 am

Will be other languages?